Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Marine FAC vs. Naval Aviator

Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
Sometimes MARSOC FAC tours are about who you know, but for the most part, they have an opening, it's posted on the available FAC tours list you'll get after your first tour, and you submit a package, pretty simple. A phone call to the FAC you're replacing wouldn't hurt either. I went to SERE school late in my first tour...was hoping to get out of it all together...either way I was with a bunch of guys, 2 of them happened to be Force Recon Marines. Both were GySgts and said they'd love to have me as a FAC, and if I ever needed an "in" to give them a call. 3 years out of the cockpit is too long for me but I Thanked them anyways.

Recon FAC tours are about the same to get, just apply, they're out there. "Sometimes" you might get to go to Jump School things depending, but again, you're just a FAC, they have plenty of well-trained Marines to do everything else. If I remember right, PFT score is looked at for Recon FAC spots, probably one of the only jobs that cares about your PFT in the Officer ranks....most just care that it's a 1st class.

The best advice I can give you to fullfill your dream is keep your nose clean....stay away from drugs, don't drink and drive take a cab, in essence don't do something that will make the Marine Corps or any other service question your integrity. College students will be college students, I didn't say don't be crazy and don't have fun and don't chase everything with boobs and a heartbeat, just be smart when you do it. And once you get in the pipeline, concentrate on the task at hand, don't think about what's going on too far down the road or you'll get overwhelmed. Realize that initially all you need to know is you're a Marine that hopes one day to fly. "Marine first, pilot second" is the common phrase. Shortly after TBS you'll have to drop that mantra to the chagrin of all your drill-instructors and acknowledge you need to become a pilot first or you'll never make it through flight school let along get what you want. See the theme? Closest aligator to the boat, tell them what they want to hear, the rest is gravy.
Thank you for your advise. When you say that you are just a FAC, what do you mean? Like you aren't a sniper, or radioman, or SAW gunner?

Also, I have heard that the SEALs handpick some aviators for their FACs. Is an opportunity with the SEALs more feasible than with MARSOC?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
SEALS have embedded FAC's I believe, meaning you are a SEAL first, with the training to call in air. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if all SEALS are FAC qualified, I don't know.

FORCE Recon handpicks a lot if not all of their FAC's as well, mostly shooter types, Hornets/Cobras/Harriers/etc. I know two guys who went to FORCE to become FAC's and never came back to flying, they were liked that much.

When I say you are "just" a FAC, I mean your not going to be sniper trained....why would you send somebody who is a PILOT by trade to sniper school. People misunderstand that being a sniper is a fairly arduous and intensive process, you don't just walk in the door, sign your name, and walk out as a sniper. What I meant was you "might" go to jump school if the unit you are with has people going to jump school, or they think you have a reasonably good chance of needing to know how to parachute. FAC's typically have radios, they're not going to be the guy lugging around a SAW.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
When I say you are "just" a FAC, I mean your not going to be sniper trained....why would you send somebody who is a PILOT by trade to sniper school. People misunderstand that being a sniper is a fairly arduous and intensive process, you don't just walk in the door, sign your name, and walk out as a sniper. What I meant was you "might" go to jump school if the unit you are with has people going to jump school, or they think you have a reasonably good chance of needing to know how to parachute. FAC's typically have radios, they're not going to be the guy lugging around a SAW.
Right, it makes complete sense. Thank you for all your advise and information!