Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Made it to Qatar... finally

Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Made it to Qatar... finally

So...

After a week in San Diego and then 3 weeks at Camp McCrady on Fort Jackson in Columbia South Carolina doing NIACT. I'm now at my ultimate duty station for the next year, Camp As Sayliyah in Qatar. I spent about a week at Camp Virginia in Kuwait getting acclimatized to the time shift and weather... F*CK is it hot over here (113 deg today in Qatar)

Overall, it took about a month after I left Monterey to get done with everything and finally get here.

Place is the best so far in the trip (except San Diego)... decent housing (converted connex boxes inside warehouse) and decent amenities nice Gym, PX, and Dfac. Well this will be my home for the next year away from my family. I hope to be able to get back on here more often.

I'm just really glad that my orders changed from Iraq to Qatar and I won't have to dodge mortars and look out for IEDs... best of luck to all my brothers in Afghanistan and Iraq

btw, Airforce buddies... flying on a C130 SUCKS!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
You'll have fun in Qatar. That used to be an R&R lay over spot prior to going back to the states. It's going to get hotter there in July, we have the PATRIOT Air Defense system there, check it out if you get a chance. Enjoy your stay there and save the tax free pay checks!!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
You'll have fun in Qatar. That used to be an R&R lay over spot prior to going back to the states. It's going to get hotter there in July, we have the PATRIOT Air Defense system there, check it out if you get a chance. Enjoy your stay there and save the tax free pay checks!!
Oh I plan to save as much as I can while I'm here...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
do some work bud!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
Oh I plan to save as much as I can while I'm here...
If you have some extra cash in savings, look into investing into the SDP program. You get 10% interest for 1 year and can put up to $10,000 total in. I did it during my current deployment and will cash that sucker in when I return at the end of this month.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTaco386 View Post
If you have some extra cash in savings, look into investing into the SDP program. You get 10% interest for 1 year and can put up to $10,000 total in. I did it during my current deployment and will cash that sucker in when I return at the end of this month.
Already on it... its just too bad that that the interest is taxable

my goal is 30-40K saved at the least
Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:

Yeah I think it's bs about being taxed, but what can you do? A plus is when you do your taxes, you are in a lower tax bracket due to Uncle Sam only seeing your income off of your base pay. I saved roughly $35K which includes paying the last $12,000 of the taco off while I was here. But upon returning to the states I will get my per diem pay and cash in that SDP . Cant wait to see my family soon!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Thank you for your service Mark.
Glad you're ok.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

btw, Airforce buddies... flying on a C130 SUCKS!
You could always walk...or take a ship.

.....former C130 type.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
You could always walk...or take a ship.

.....former C130 type.

haha, yeah a ship... probably would have more comfortable but not nearly as quick
Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Chris20 is on a distinguished road
Army: Engineer
Name: Chris
Chris20's Tacoma Gallery
C130 ride into Iraq is alomost like riding on a rollercoaster with the random nose dives.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
rackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura about
rackatak's Tacoma Gallery
I think the flyboys love to see the look on your face when they make they dive toward the airfield. I know they made a few of the chicks on our flight in scream a little.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oh yeah, the SDP money has to be put in before the 10th of the month to accrue the interest for the month. They didn't tell me that little tidbit....

Also, I know Camp VA says they can do all $10K at once, but the Army finance folks will only put in up to your max monthly rate. That's stupid IMHO, but whatever.

I was just at McCrady in Feb. I bet the weather was a lot better than yours - 70s and no real precipitation. welcome in -theater.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
exactly... I just dumped some cash and set up an allottment for the rest
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #17
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Its not that bad here... just pretty boring and hot
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your Service!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your service Mark!