1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Post 9/11 GI Bill question

Discussion in 'Military' started by JCfromDEMELLO, May 30, 2011.

1. May 30, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Hey guys, I've been on the Post 9/11 GI Bill for about a year now and always been told the BAH payments get paid at the end of the month for the prior month's costs. Well here it is the end of May, my last semester until next fall (thanks California teacher's unions...) and I have no notice of a pending deposit on my bank account. It always shows up a few days prior but its two days till the first. If I don't get this last BAH payment I'm shit outta luck trying to pay my rent. I don't know who to call and I've never had a problem before with any of my payments.

I realize its a holiday weekend and it may just be my bank dragging their feet with updating the website but where do I start if I get screwed on this payment? My school's vet rep is gone for the summer just like all the other school personnel.

Anybody?

2. May 30, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just recently the gov't made a move to "cut costs" by not paying out early (Usually paychecks and everything were hitting accounts 24 hours before payday). Now they are paying out on time for payday. I would say that if you haven't had problems to date with getting paid- I wouldn't freak out yet.

3. May 30, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    TACODACKS

TACODACKS Forging Elite Fitness

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    The Streets of America
    Brunes nailed it...don't worry just yet man. Also, are you sure your BAH doesn't get split up between the two pay periods? On my LES is says my BAH is XXXX, but I get paid half on the 1st and half on the 15th, for what it's worth.

4. May 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    I'm hopin against hope right now man. My wife was out of work for two weeks with a fractured eye socket ( I wasn't even there ...don't get suspicious) so if this don't hit, we're screwed. I can't even find a number for Muskogee to call with questions, even though I know its a holiday weekend and all. God forbid they work on holidays ...like I am.

5. May 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    eight6four_taco

eight6four_taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    UpSoCar
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4wd Silver
    Hondo Garage Phone Mount, Weathertech Liners - Black, MESO Gasshole
    Long story short..... the VA rep at my school sucks, she has always referred me to the following toll free number (888.442.4551) if I have any questions regarding my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Hope this helps?:confused:

6. May 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    I'm not active duty anymore. Its the BAH that gets paid with Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill for taking more than half a full load of classes. It always hits in one lump sum and its equal to an E5 with dependents. Just stressin I guess. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

7. May 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    Cody222

Cody222 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Myerstown PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Dbl cab Trd Sport sb
    AFE pro dry filter
    (1-888-442-4551). That is the number to the main gi bill contacts. I would start by calling that and asking them where you can find out about your payment. Says "
    Be advised this line only accepts calls from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM central time Monday - Friday and you may experience long hold times." Best of luck with it

8. May 30, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Got it. Thanks man.

I gotta say, even on a completely unrelated website, the veterans always show up in force to help their own. You guys rock.

9. May 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd also check your rental agreement....You usually get until the 5th or 10th to make the rent payment before you incur fees or anything.

And I know the feeling....Worked yesterday...Wife worked last night.
    You know who else bugs me...The commissary folks. They are rarely open when I can go shop...That is 0 help to me.

10. May 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    TACODACKS

TACODACKS Forging Elite Fitness

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    The Streets of America

The cashiers at the commissary really bother me some times. Not always, just sometimes. They act like they hold the magic power to check my ID card.
    "Behold, I am the douche that Wal-Mart wouldn't hire, so I have power over those who serve!"

11. May 30, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    That's funny TACODACKS!!! Never really liked commissary folks myself. And on an Army post the commissary usually blows anyways, I head to the Air Force commissary when I go to one.
    My wife draws the Post 9/11 GI bill BAH, and one bummer to hit us was that our President passed a bill that changed the BAH pay schedule so that if you aren't in class for longer than half the month...you won't get paid for that month. So that would include Christmas break and such like that. Her VA rep at the school sucks too. Hope this isn't your case bud. Good luck with it all.

12. May 30, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    There are a lot of "fixes to fix the fix that fixed the error" bills going around congress right now. I'd say stay tuned and subscribe to the military.com mailing list. They send me good emails regularly with links to stories on all that kinda crap. The last I read they were fixing what you mentioned but they might be making it to where you no longer get the BAH for just taking one credit more than half time. They (congress, those awesome guys that just love us so much...) were considering a bill that would make it to where your exact BAH payment is determined by how many credits you actually take.

In other words, at my school, 12 credits is considered full time. If I take at least 7 credits worth of classes and have at least one class on campus, I get the full BAH. Under the proposal they have right now (it might already be a law I don't know) I would instead receive a prorated amount at about 70% of what I receive now.

I have had a very shitty 4 years of civilian life so far, financially at least, and I need every damn cent I can get right now. Its so nice to see independently wealthy congress people, the majority of whom have never served, deciding whether I really need all of the money they promised me when I was doing 11 years and 4 months of active duty ...all over the world, in a combat zone, losing a marriage, a best friend, and both of my parents and never complaining the whole damn time.

Maybe I'm just bitter.

13. May 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    Thanks for the tip, I'll get on that mailing list as I too will be putting the GI bill to good use sooner than later. I have REALLY been considering going with the Montgomery GI Bill, at least I KNOW I get a set amount. And leave the wife drawing on the Post 9/11. We'll see which does better since I'll be working too. I wish all this was kept a bit clearer. I hate being in muddy waters and unsure.:confused:

14. May 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Yep, its law ...dammit

...which means next semester, to get my full BAH I have to take 12 credits worth of classes and still work a full time job. Un-fucking-believable.

15. May 30, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    the school you are enrolled in has to certify your enrollment and attendance every few months, and that allows for your BAH payment

about 6 months ago my school dropped the ball and didnt recertify me so i didnt get my BAH payment... they blammed the VA. after about a week they realized that it was their fault and told me the F'd up.

they re-certified my enrollment but told me it takes the VA about a month to process it... so i didn't get my BAH payments for almost 2 months.

in the end the VA paid me all my back pay, but i was draining my savings account like a mo fo. that sucked.

i hope this isnt the situation you are in, but you might want to look into it if you dont get your BAH by tuesday.

good luck man

16. May 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yup, i work full time and take 16 credits a quarter at my school

i'm trying to get this shti done ASAFP because i hate school

the career path i want to take requires me to have a Bach deg so i gotta play the game

17. May 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Ok that scenario scares the shit outta me. My savings has been gone for years now. My CC has been maxed out for over a year. If I don't get anything by the 3rd I'm gonna be homeless. I can't imagine it would have anything to do with my school though. I haven't had any problems with them except for the fact that VA rep is constantly changing and I never know who to call. The semester just ended on the 27th. Took my last final on the 25th. Don't see how it could be an enrollment problem.

Hmmmmmmm. :(

18. May 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Well the career I'm trying to get into is filled with overpaid people who never spent a day in college. I could give a damn about getting a degree for now. If I found a better paying job in something IT related tomorrow I'd be out the door here. Jason knows that. If I could make the kinda money in this industry that IT guys make I'd gladly stay here.

Time and time again I've heard people say that companies are nixing the high paid guys and hiring in new people like me that are willing to train and work for like, $40K a year. I WOULD GLADLY DO THIS. $40K a year for me would be like winning the lottery at this point.

'Cept that seems to be a myth. Coz those jobs just ain't showin up on my radar.

Good luck to you as well.

19. May 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    DevilDogTacoma

DevilDogTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma V6 DCSB
    Flowmaster 40 Muffler, 15% Front Window and Windshield Sun Strip Tint, Antennax 14" Antenna, OME 3" Lift w/AAL, SlimCubby 6000K HID headlights and foglights, Thule tailgate pad for surfboards, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x9 XD Addicts, LED map, dome and tag lights
    Did you go onto the GI Bill's website, onto WAVE an certify your enrollment? When I was in college, I had to certify my enrollment in college on the website on the first of every month and then I would get paid the GI Bill money a few days later. It's basically just telling the VA every month "yes I was still in school."

Semper Fidelis brother, good luck.

20. May 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    The wave thing is for ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill only. My enrollment gets certified by the school and I get an email and a letter saying they got it.

I am SOOOO hoping this is all just because of the holiday or some unlucky VA employee is going to get an awful phone call tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top