Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Thinking about joining the ARMY

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbio615 View Post
it's tight nip where I grew up, thanks for the grammar lesson tho, much needed

I think the jobs you listed above are great opportunities and I have two really cool Air Force J-Tacs stationed here with me. I just dont agree with what your saying. My NCOs do what they can to help me succeed. Enough from me.........thanks for your service

Glad you have some good NCO's , learn what you can from them.
We all have our opinions, I was only stating what I have observed. Not trying to slam anyone, stay safe and thanks for your service also....
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im 11B in the ARMY....deployed....it sucks sometimes but I take what I can and make the best of it. No time for school in the Infantry that is for sure. Maybe when state side but you work hard over here so you can party hard back in state. Apparently to one guy if your in the Army your just a number, but other services your more then a number, that makes no sense to me. Plus my herd saved my life a few times in the last 4 months so its a tight nip group. Other then that lets see
I was 25 when I joined! I spent 6 years partying in college and was going no where in my life. I wanted to change that, and change that quickly. I went to all the services but decided Infantry was for me. I dont regret the decision even tho incoming mortars make me think dif sometimes. The Army took me 4 months quicker then the USMC (even tho I wanted the USMC bc they seemed out right the better infantry decision). I had to make a decision that would affect me soonest. The Army has improved my quality of life and decisions. Being deployed has taught me not to take America for granted. All kinds of little stupid shit like that.

Enough about me....good luck...I think serving your country is a wonderful career path. I think all services offer something dif, therefore I am not one to hate on any of them or label others pointless like others will. I chose what I chose, time for you to choose what you choose and make the best of it.
Well said, especially the second paragraph.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
Without a doubt......BE AN OFFICER FOR GODS SAKES!!!! You can get the same schools, you get a LOT more freedom, and it's a better quality of life. I'm 100% sure that is true for ANY branch. You will have higher pay and better benefits.

Look at all branches, and better yet look at ALL jobs. Treat enlisting like buying a car. Do your research, set your terms, and don't accept anything else. Don't be afraid to walk away, they will put you in. Look at the long term, you have some good advice here already.

As far as the family not supporting you.....I'm sorry about that, the military really is an individual effort though. JMHO. You will get back as much as you put in and are willing to sacrifice or let go of. Good luck to you.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #24
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
How did your parents take the news that you wanted to join the army, or any branch of the military?

My mother and sister are not supporting me in my decision.
I can't talk about deployments and whatnot (entering ROTC next semester so I'm just a noob. And I'm younger than you) but I've been talking about joining since I was a sophomore in the JROTC ( )
My dad went through the ROTC before going to medschool, and both my grandfathers served so I have his support.... But my mother is just like yours and figures there's other things to do and can't understand why I can't just focus on only school. On top of that, my bro and I have never seen eye to eye, and apparently jokes to his friends that:
"yeah, in the new house my parents'll have a room, there'll be a guest room, and my brother will be in a urn on the fireplace"
And has told me on many occasions that he'll enjoy giving my eulogy.
(in his mind, anyone who goes into the combat arms fields dies..and I'm planning on a 19series mos)

But if it's something you truly want to do, you'll have to find a way to make them understand that you're going to join, and even if they disagree it'll be nothing but a waste of time and energy for them not to support you...because youll do it anyways.
And for the asthma thing...unless it's serious and will stop you from doing things don't put it down. I had cataracts surgery a few years ago, and even though I have all supporting paperwork and a signed document from my opthamologist stating it "holds me to no restrictions whatsoever" it is a BITCH getting through the med process, of which I'm still working on (4months later..)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I was kind of in the same boat as you, although I wasn't about to fail college, I was just burnt out after my freshman year. I hated school actually, I need a break or something.

So, I decided to join the Marines in the fall of 1999, and I did, (against my parents best wishes) but I went reserve so I could still finnish school. It was a much needed break, and I think I learned a lot in boot camp, or grew up really. The training was tough, miserable at times, degrading too...but also fun, you had to have a good attitude about it! I loved the Marine Corps, and yes I did have to drop out of school and go to Iraq in February 2003, I was part of the invasion force. But I came back, unscathed, and finished my degree at Texas Tech.

All in all, the Marine Corps was great for me! I was unmotivated and didn't know what the hell I wanted to do before I joined; after boot camp and all the training I came back to college and it all seemed to come together. I graduated, and am now doing pretty well in my job and life. I contribute most of it to the Marine Corps, they really set me straight! And I had some awesome experiences and made some lifelong friends, especially while in Iraq.

I say go for it, whichever branch you like.

And I know you are on the fence about joining, so ask yourself this, in ten years will you look back and say I wish I did....

Nobody can answer that but you.

EDIT: By the way, you can always become an officer later after you graduate if you really love the military service, don't let a degree deter you now from joining. In fact, you will be a better officer in my opinion if you were enlisted first.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
I was kind of in the same boat as you, although I wasn't about to fail college, I was just burnt out after my freshman year. I hated school actually, I need a break or something.

So, I decided to join the Marines in the fall of 1999, and I did, (against my parents best wishes) but I went reserve so I could still finnish school. It was a much needed break, and I think I learned a lot in boot camp, or grew up really. The training was tough, miserable at times, degrading too...but also fun, you had to have a good attitude about it! I loved the Marine Corps, and yes I did have to drop out of school and go to Iraq in February 2003, I was part of the invasion force. But I came back, unscathed, and finished my degree at Texas Tech.

All in all, the Marine Corps was great for me! I was unmotivated and didn't know what the hell I wanted to do before I joined; after boot camp and all the training I came back to college and it all seemed to come together. I graduated, and am now doing pretty well in my job and life. I contribute most of it to the Marine Corps, they really set me straight! And I had some awesome experiences and made some lifelong friends, especially while in Iraq.

I say go for it, whichever branch you like.

And I know you are on the fence about joining, so ask yourself this, in ten years will you look back and say I wish I did....

Nobody can answer that but you.

EDIT: By the way, you can always become an officer later after you graduate if you really love the military service, don't let a degree deter you now from joining. In fact, you will be a better officer in my opinion if you were enlisted first.
... ^^^ ... "Ditto" and also "double ditto" on being a "mustanger" in your edit.

But, any asthma problems will probably stop the OP at the door.

EDIT ... OP, you sound like a good candidate for the military .. and either enlisted or officer.

Perhaps you can go to another civilian doc and see if it really is "exercised induced asthma" ... that type is sometimes misdiagnosed ...
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #27
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
They (generally) treat their NCO's (not all) with disdain. They are (generally) not allowed to think on their own or for themselves...they are micromanaged and are not autonomous in any way (other than SF).

Swamppirate, I call bull shit. Your statement lacks sound judgement and merit. If you are AF and have worked with the Army I will assume it was either on an airfield or in a TOC. Are there leaders out there that micromanage? Yes, in fact there are in any organization. I could easily turnaround and say because you are AF and the general opinion is they are more like civilians working in an office environment that your NCO's are technical in nature and have little to no ability to lead Soldiers in a combat environment. FOR THE RECORD I AM NOT NOR DO I BELIEVE THAT TO BE TRUE ABOUT THE AF. I am simply stating a "hasty generalization" based off what is said about one branch from another (they all do it). The simple fact is if you are not or have never actually been in a certain branch you don't have the knowledge base to comment on how their Officers, NCO's or Soldiers are treated or act. I have worked alongside the USMC on several occasions but I would still not be able to realistically state what life in the USMC is like.

FYI it is the NCO's that run day to day operations in the Army. Officers pass orders, NCO's execute those orders. All that should be passed down (and usually is) is the commanders (Officer or NCO) intent. Any NCO's you have seen micromanage or use fear to lead is a prime example of an inexperienced and weak leader. We as an Army pride ourselves on executing with little to no guidance other then that intent.

OP you can have your thread back, point being there is a lot of great advice going around here but remember only those that have actually had a specific job or are currently in that specific job or branch can truly give you an honest opinion.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
兔年快乐! 慢慢走!
trot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud of

trot's Tacoma Gallery
This is for the OP:

Sounds like you don't have that option and are disqualified.

Save yourself the public "should I or shouldn't I" drama and go find out if you are qualified.

If the recruiter tells you to hide your medical disqualification, walk out and PM me his name and station. Recruiters who do that should be bounced (and normally are).

If you fail the physical and can't get a waiver, oh well, you're in the majority. There are other qualifications you have to pass too.

If you fail the physical and can get a waiver, then go make a decision.

Otherwise, you're wasting time.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
junior07 is on a distinguished road
Marines: CPL Safety and Survival Mech, VMM-264
Name: Matt
junior07's Tacoma Gallery
Even as a number in the Army the majority still have a better standard of living than us!!! Also OP I don't understand how you have exercise induced athesma but trail run and run half marathons. That's something that seems kind of odd, if it was diagnosed by a doctor how long ago was it and I am doubting his credentials. I'm deployed right now, yes with the Air Wing (I know theres haters out there!! ) but while working 14-15 hours a day I could take school classes but figured to wait til I get back stateside, where it's not as hectic. All I have to do is go talk to the educational officer after I get back and I will be set for the up coming semester.

Theres no way to know though unless you go talk to a recruiter and get things started!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #30
NathanielG11 is on a distinguished road
Army: US Army Officer
Name: Nate
NathanielG11's Tacoma Gallery
ROTC!!!

I did 6 years active enlisted as a Apache Mechanic (2 deployments). I then got off of active duty, joined a Reserve unit and went to college. During my junior and senior year I did ROTC, commissioned and branched aviation. Not only am I making a lot more money than what I was (E-6), Im now a pilot.

I used my G.I Bill and Tuition Assistance while going to school. So not only was college free, I got paid just to be in class.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #31
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Army Aviation

As an Army veteran - retired (21 years, 10 months and 9 days.....but who is counting) with 10 years enlisted, then "Mustanged" up through OCS to commissioned, my suggestion is to do your research and pick an MOS that has a comparable civilian job skill.........

Having said that, my suggestion is to check out Army Aviation........through the WOC (Warrant Officer Candidate) program, then flight school........have the government provide you a skill (rotary or fixed wing flight school, and training) that can be used in the civilian world. Flying for the FBI, DEA, US Customs, BLM, Forest Service, Medical Helicopters, TV News Stations............

If I had it to do over again, I would gladly have traded my commission for a warrant........
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior07 View Post
Also OP I don't understand how you have exercise induced athesma but trail run and run half marathons.
It is still possible to do all of that if the asthma is notthat severe. Shortly after my first deployment I developed exercise inducedallergies and recently developed asthma after my 3rd. I donít know if it isburn pit or toxic dust related but point being I can still run half marathonsand such, itís harder and I am a little slower than before. However it is defpossible.

Having said that, if you want to join the Army and if asthma is currently a disqualifier, a second opinion is a great idea. Just call a recruiter and ask if it is, and if so get a second opinion. Again best of luck to you, there has been several opinions in here.

The military is usually a "tight nit" group so I dont think I would be out of line saying to feel free to PM anyone if you have specific questions based off what they have done or suggested. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #33
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this is exactly what I am going to do when I get back from Afghanistan in 3.5 months. I really want to work with rotary wings and when I get out be able to fly for any one of the few mentioned above. I think I am a perfect candidate for the opportunity

After you get your rating and complete active service, maintain membership in the Guard or Reserve to get those retirement benefits......may not seem like much now, but will really pay off later!!!!!

Also, my recommendation is try and get on with US Customs........great opportunities and great aircraft!!!!!!

Here is an interesting link about an enlisted Marine that transitioned to a helicopter pilot:

http://tinyurl.com/65tnvmd

http://www.goarmy.com/about/service-...-officers.html
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #34
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane100700 View Post

"If you are AF and have worked with the Army I will assume it was either on an airfield or in a TOC."

" I am simply stating a "hasty generalization" based off what is said about one branch from another (they all do it). The simple fact is if you are not or have never actually been in a certain branch you don't have the knowledge base to comment on how their Officers, NCO's or Soldiers are treated or act."
You assume wrong. I have worked with the Army both in the TOC setting and operationally on missions. I have seen and witnessed my aforementioned statements.....Additionally, I have not only witnessed the behavior but lived it as I was a 13F for 6 years in the Army (no hasty generalization). So, I have been in the "branch".

Look, as I said before I am not trying to bash anyone. I am simply stating what I have seen, observed and lived first hand. I do so, so others can heed the advice (if they want) and maybe make a informed decision.
Watch what you call bullshit on....... Regards
Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Watch what you call bullshit on.......
It's not a matter of watching anything. Either you have had exceptionally bad NCO's or I have had exceptionally good. My 15 years of experience in the "Army" is one of a great NCO corps. I have had bad leaders but the good far out-weigh the bad. In fact several of those outstanding NCO's have even been artillerymen and FSO's within the INF BN's I have supported. I will not continue this on this forum and save the OP any additional comments on the subject. We can agree to disagree .
Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #36
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with whatever you choose. I went with the Navy... I knew A guy that I went to MEPS with made A 94 on the ASVAB and I only made A 60 ( i dont know what his line scores were) yet he qualified for the same rates as I. There aren't many jobs available due to so many people joining.
good luck
Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #37
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior07 View Post
OP I don't understand how you have exercise induced athesma but trail run and run half marathons. That's something that seems kind of odd, if it was diagnosed by a doctor how long ago was it
It was just last March when I talked to a respiratory specialist at my hospital. Steady state cardio I can do, its interval training, like what you would see during basic training, that kicks my ass. I usually push through it but I'm not really sure how far I can push it.

I've never had to use my inhaler though... Hmm...

My family wants me to enlist after college so that I can become an enlisted officer so my career, pay, overall army life would be better. I'm going to apply to another college as a physics major and continue to get my BS and see if they have an ROTC program at the university.

Thanks everyone for the advice. More is welcome!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
and see if they have an ROTC program at the university.
Even if the college you attend does not have an ROTC program local to its campus, in the bigger cities there is usually a local campus you can go to for ROTC (i.e. the way some Harvard students attend ROTC).
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #39
Dave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Dave
Dave333's Tacoma Gallery
Go SF man. There is a contract for it, called 18X. 18 is the SF series designator and X is just because they don't know yet which you'll be. Given your IQ, PT stats, you'd fit in just fine. Don't tell them about the asthma. I had a knee surgery and didn't tell them, made it to my team just fine. If you want it, nothing will stand in your way. I was also a college guy that decided it wasn't for me. SF was the best time of my life. If you decide you want to pursue the more money officer route, go to warrant school in SF, you'll be a CW3 in no time. In 5 years, I was E6 and had I reenlisted I would have been E7 on the 6th. All my friends that stayed in are currently E7.

Then you can get out and become a military contractor and make more than if you would have taken the college way.

Just realize, it's not just a "I want to do this". Of the guys I went through the Q with, I know of at least 8 that are gone. We usually lost 1 or 2 per deployment which doesn't sound like alot but when you only have 60 guys on the ground for a given amount of time, that's alot. Not to mention the ones who went home without limbs.

It's a life changing choice and once you make it you better be ready to give it your all. Your teammates will be your brothers in arms and lifelong friends.

Take some time and think about it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.