1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about joining the ARMY

Discussion in 'Military' started by Bishop2Queens6, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Hey all. Firstly, I want to thank those who have served, and to thank those who will respond to my thread.

Here is what's up:

I failed my second consecutive quarter in engineering so that means I am up for dismissal. I can petition the dismissal so I can stay one more quarter, or transfer to a community college for a year and transfer back, but I am really considering joining the army.

I really want to serve my country and I have felt that its something everyone should do.

I was wondering about those who have gone on deployment and returned to school, or those who are in reserve while going to school, and going full 4 years active. Pretty much first hand experience in army+education situtations

Here is what's up with me:
    -6'1" 170 lbs, Can Bench 235 lbs and run half marathons and trail runs regularly.
    -I.Q. 142. I know, how can a genius fail out of college...
    -I excelled in math, physics, and history in college. Not so much Chem, Bio, computer science stuff....
    -Can learn languages quickly (Spent a month in Canada, and picked up French well enough to hold a basic conversation, also spent 3 months in the Philippines, fluent by the end of my stay)
    - I do have exercised induced asthma...

I was learning water quality engineering at my college, but not sure that's for me anymore. I do like engineering though.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Sorry to hear your pending dismissal. School is done for me right now due to my new assignment, and no I don't have my degree either. Keep in mind there are FIVE services. Yes the Coast Guard is one.

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I can't speak for the Army, but i know there are alot of really technical fields in the Air Force and Navy. I firgured a guy as smart as u say u are could take advantage of that. The Navy pays big bonuses for those jobs too... check out other branches too man.

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I'm kinda scared of the ocean since I am not a strong swimmer, so I feel like the Navy or Coast Guard wouldn't be a consideration, but I'm probably wrong on dismissing it.

I think the Army, Air Force, or Navy would be good options for me. Not sure which route to take.

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    don't tell them about the asthma or you wont get in..

6. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    I'd say since you are just looking into joining the military as an option broaden your view and look at all branches. Nothing against the Army but depending on what you want to do in the military job wise, there are a ton of differences. GL and keep us updated!

7. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    x2 unless it's that bad, but it can't be considering you are running half maratons.

8. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    asthma is an automatic disqualifier, so you might want to look at other options (non military).

do not join the military if school is your MAIN focus. its ok to want to do school, and many military folks find time here and there to go, but for the most part you wont have time (speaking for active duty).

9. Jun 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    mitchell4655

mitchell4655 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mitchell
    ft myer VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco TX PRO
    camburg 4in spindle lift, falken tires, billet grill
    personally i like the army, recruiters are going to give you alot of bullshit, as for school, im at my first duty station and when i first got here 1st sergeant told me i was going to start college.. they want you to finish school and support you in doing it, even if u get deployed you can still get school done, your not going to do 6 classes a semester but u can do 2 depending on your schedule.... if you want to enlist my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you pick a job you really want not just whats available

10. Jun 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Thanks everyone. I'll take every piece into consideration.

11. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    the question to ask yourself is what do you want out of your time in the service?

GI bill is sweet but everyone gets that
    want experience/training that transfers to a regular job?
    or kick in doors and have fun?
    are you up for long days or regular days?
    are you up to lots of deployments?
    want to live in the mud or a clean space?

ect ect

Which Service is important but your MOS is also

12. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    x2 ROTC

This is not because thats where I am right now but because its a better over all life. You have "fun" for less time but as an example (and its not only about pay!) I have 15yrs in service and will soon pin E8. An O3 (captain) with only 3-4 yrs in the Army will still make more then I would. If you end up with a knowledgeable platoon sergeant he will teach you everythig you need to be successful. What does that mean, that means as an officer in 3-4 years you will be in charge of a company, in which case you influence 130 (depending on MOS) Soldiers on a daily basis. Yes as NCO's we do most of the work but if you want to make things better you have little to no real influence until you reach SSG or higher (4-7yrs on avg).

More things to consider;

1. Most recently asthma after the age of 13 was a disqualifier. However there are waivers for stuff all the time and randomly so check with a recruiter.

Second you can actually join the NG or Reserves and go to college as a ROTC Cadet and then switch to active duty as an officer (again talk to a recruiter).

C.- If you go enlisted, the Army will pay all college (minus books) while you are in the Army (enlisted only). However as an officer at times in your career there are options to take basically take a break from the Army and go back to college full time to get your masters. The caveat to that is you will owe more service time upon completion.

4.- BE HONEST when you enlist, even if you say you have "tried" drugs or have asthma. It's rare but as you move up and go for a Top Secret (officers and senior NCO's or certain MOS's) that stuff may come back to haunt you. Again it's "rare" but does happen and sometimes charges can be made for a fraudulent enlistment.

Lastly- which ever branch or job you choose make sure it is something you are interested in or think you could be interested in. If you’re not happy with what you are doing, your Soldiers will most times be the ones to suffer for it.

Again the Army might not be the right choice, but either way choose what YOU want to do. Don't let a fear of bills or getting booted from college effect your reasoning either. Sometimes the military isnt the right choice for those that still ARE in the military.

Good luck and hope it works out for ya either way!

13. Jun 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    best 5.5 years of my life, 3 as a 13f, 2.5 as a 19d. First Team!
    [​IMG]

14. Jun 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Smart man, This X 10, Best of luck on whatever you do!!

15. Jun 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    swamppirate

swamppirate Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4 X 4 TRD SPORT
    In my opinion, unless you go SF, in the big GREEN army you will be just another number. I would seriously look at TACP, CCT, PJ in the Air Force if you want a quality of life and not just follow the HERD. My .02 Good luck.

16. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    How did your parents take the news that you wanted to join the army, or any branch of the military?

My mother and sister are not supporting me in my decision.

17. Jun 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I am not sure how you will hide exercise induced asthma. We do exercise sometimes...and it more than likely will rear its head.

18. Jun 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cajun Country
    Vehicle:
    05 Access 4x4
    Face Palm :facepalm:

19. Jun 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Go navy bro. There's no hookers n stuff in the army

20. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    swamppirate

swamppirate Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4 X 4 TRD SPORT
    Farbio, I knew it would happen....I'm simply stating what I have seen and observed, when around the Army which is quite frequent. They (generally) treat their NCO's (not all) with disdain. They are (generally) not allowed to think on their own or for themselves...they are micromanaged and are not autonomous in any way (other than SF).
    I was simply pointing that out. And, in my opinion if quality of life, autonomy and not being lost in the number shuffle is important to an individual, that individual needs to look at (SF or Rangers in the Army) or other options like USAF TACP, CCT or PJ. In any of these you will find, you are not just another number and are actually allowed to think for yourself and not be one of the "HERD"....Regards

(P.S. It's not tight nip....it's tight knit.)

Products Discussed in

To Top