LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Thinking about joining the ARMY

Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about joining the ARMY

Hey all. Firstly, I want to thank those who have served, and to thank those who will respond to my thread.

Here is what's up:

I failed my second consecutive quarter in engineering so that means I am up for dismissal. I can petition the dismissal so I can stay one more quarter, or transfer to a community college for a year and transfer back, but I am really considering joining the army.

I really want to serve my country and I have felt that its something everyone should do.

I was wondering about those who have gone on deployment and returned to school, or those who are in reserve while going to school, and going full 4 years active. Pretty much first hand experience in army+education situtations

Here is what's up with me:
-6'1" 170 lbs, Can Bench 235 lbs and run half marathons and trail runs regularly.
-I.Q. 142. I know, how can a genius fail out of college...
-I excelled in math, physics, and history in college. Not so much Chem, Bio, computer science stuff....
-Can learn languages quickly (Spent a month in Canada, and picked up French well enough to hold a basic conversation, also spent 3 months in the Philippines, fluent by the end of my stay)
- I do have exercised induced asthma...

I was learning water quality engineering at my college, but not sure that's for me anymore. I do like engineering though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear your pending dismissal. School is done for me right now due to my new assignment, and no I don't have my degree either. Keep in mind there are FIVE services. Yes the Coast Guard is one.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for the Army, but i know there are alot of really technical fields in the Air Force and Navy. I firgured a guy as smart as u say u are could take advantage of that. The Navy pays big bonuses for those jobs too... check out other branches too man.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm kinda scared of the ocean since I am not a strong swimmer, so I feel like the Navy or Coast Guard wouldn't be a consideration, but I'm probably wrong on dismissing it.

I think the Army, Air Force, or Navy would be good options for me. Not sure which route to take.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Dilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (AW)
Dilley's Tacoma Gallery
don't tell them about the asthma or you wont get in..
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say since you are just looking into joining the military as an option broaden your view and look at all branches. Nothing against the Army but depending on what you want to do in the military job wise, there are a ton of differences. GL and keep us updated!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
asthma is an automatic disqualifier, so you might want to look at other options (non military).

do not join the military if school is your MAIN focus. its ok to want to do school, and many military folks find time here and there to go, but for the most part you wont have time (speaking for active duty).
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
mitchell4655 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: mitchell
mitchell4655's Tacoma Gallery
personally i like the army, recruiters are going to give you alot of bullshit, as for school, im at my first duty station and when i first got here 1st sergeant told me i was going to start college.. they want you to finish school and support you in doing it, even if u get deployed you can still get school done, your not going to do 6 classes a semester but u can do 2 depending on your schedule.... if you want to enlist my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you pick a job you really want not just whats available
Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. I'll take every piece into consideration.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
the question to ask yourself is what do you want out of your time in the service?

GI bill is sweet but everyone gets that
want experience/training that transfers to a regular job?
or kick in doors and have fun?
are you up for long days or regular days?
are you up to lots of deployments?
want to live in the mud or a clean space?

ect ect

Which Service is important but your MOS is also
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
x2 ROTC

This is not because thats where I am right now but because its a better over all life. You have "fun" for less time but as an example (and its not only about pay!) I have 15yrs in service and will soon pin E8. An O3 (captain) with only 3-4 yrs in the Army will still make more then I would. If you end up with a knowledgeable platoon sergeant he will teach you everythig you need to be successful. What does that mean, that means as an officer in 3-4 years you will be in charge of a company, in which case you influence 130 (depending on MOS) Soldiers on a daily basis. Yes as NCO's we do most of the work but if you want to make things better you have little to no real influence until you reach SSG or higher (4-7yrs on avg).

More things to consider;

1. Most recently asthma after the age of 13 was a disqualifier. However there are waivers for stuff all the time and randomly so check with a recruiter.

Second you can actually join the NG or Reserves and go to college as a ROTC Cadet and then switch to active duty as an officer (again talk to a recruiter).

C.- If you go enlisted, the Army will pay all college (minus books) while you are in the Army (enlisted only). However as an officer at times in your career there are options to take basically take a break from the Army and go back to college full time to get your masters. The caveat to that is you will owe more service time upon completion.

4.- BE HONEST when you enlist, even if you say you have "tried" drugs or have asthma. It's rare but as you move up and go for a Top Secret (officers and senior NCO's or certain MOS's) that stuff may come back to haunt you. Again it's "rare" but does happen and sometimes charges can be made for a fraudulent enlistment.

Lastly- which ever branch or job you choose make sure it is something you are interested in or think you could be interested in. If you’re not happy with what you are doing, your Soldiers will most times be the ones to suffer for it.

Again the Army might not be the right choice, but either way choose what YOU want to do. Don't let a fear of bills or getting booted from college effect your reasoning either. Sometimes the military isnt the right choice for those that still ARE in the military.

Good luck and hope it works out for ya either way!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
best 5.5 years of my life, 3 as a 13f, 2.5 as a 19d. First Team!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane100700 View Post
x2 ROTC

This is not because thats where I am right now but because its a better over all life. You have "fun" for less time but as an example (and its not only about pay!) I have 15yrs in service and will soon pin E8. An O3 (captain) with only 3-4 yrs in the Army will still make more then I would. If you end up with a knowledgeable platoon sergeant he will teach you everythig you need to be successful. What does that mean, that means as an officer in 3-4 years you will be in charge of a company, in which case you influence 130 (depending on MOS) Soldiers on a daily basis. Yes as NCO's we do most of the work but if you want to make things better you have little to no real influence until you reach SSG or higher (4-7yrs on avg).

More things to consider;

1. Most recently asthma after the age of 13 was a disqualifier. However there are waivers for stuff all the time and randomly so check with a recruiter.

Second you can actually join the NG or Reserves and go to college as a ROTC Cadet and then switch to active duty as an officer (again talk to a recruiter).

C.- If you go enlisted, the Army will pay all college (minus books) while you are in the Army (enlisted only). However as an officer at times in your career there are options to take basically take a break from the Army and go back to college full time to get your masters. The caveat to that is you will owe more service time upon completion.

4.- BE HONEST when you enlist, even if you say you have "tried" drugs or have asthma. It's rare but as you move up and go for a Top Secret (officers and senior NCO's or certain MOS's) that stuff may come back to haunt you. Again it's "rare" but does happen and sometimes charges can be made for a fraudulent enlistment.

Lastly- which ever branch or job you choose make sure it is something you are interested in or think you could be interested in. If you’re not happy with what you are doing, your Soldiers will most times be the ones to suffer for it.

Again the Army might not be the right choice, but either way choose what YOU want to do. Don't let a fear of bills or getting booted from college effect your reasoning either. Sometimes the military isnt the right choice for those that still ARE in the military.

Good luck and hope it works out for ya either way!
Smart man, This X 10, Best of luck on whatever you do!!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, unless you go SF, in the big GREEN army you will be just another number. I would seriously look at TACP, CCT, PJ in the Air Force if you want a quality of life and not just follow the HERD. My .02 Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #16

How did your parents take the news that you wanted to join the army, or any branch of the military?

My mother and sister are not supporting me in my decision.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure how you will hide exercise induced asthma. We do exercise sometimes...and it more than likely will rear its head.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #18
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
We do exercise sometimes...
Face Palm
Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #19
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Go navy bro. There's no hookers n stuff in the army
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Farbio, I knew it would happen....I'm simply stating what I have seen and observed, when around the Army which is quite frequent. They (generally) treat their NCO's (not all) with disdain. They are (generally) not allowed to think on their own or for themselves...they are micromanaged and are not autonomous in any way (other than SF).
I was simply pointing that out. And, in my opinion if quality of life, autonomy and not being lost in the number shuffle is important to an individual, that individual needs to look at (SF or Rangers in the Army) or other options like USAF TACP, CCT or PJ. In any of these you will find, you are not just another number and are actually allowed to think for yourself and not be one of the "HERD"....Regards

(P.S. It's not tight nip....it's tight knit.)