Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Navy question...

Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Navy question...

So the last couple weeks we've had a 3rd class in charge of my division due to our LPO being on leave. Several people in the division don't really like him and they're trying to say that because he isn't getting payed for E-4 yet (he's still in a frocked status) he doesn't have the authority for that position. I'm pretty sure this isn't true but i'm trying to find it in writing. Any other Navy people out there wanna help me out? i've looked thru the BMRs and Mil. Req's. for 3rd and 2nd class and haven't found anything yet but i'm pretty sure i've read that a frocked 3rd has the same authority as a regular 3rd.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what his rank is...If he was left in charge by the boss...THAT'S THE GAME. What rank are the folks who are bitching?? Cause as much as it sucks-When everyone is the same-You gotta look at dates of promotion. We run into it all the time at my unit- We have a boat load of LT's....and someone has to be in charge...so Date of Rank matters.

On another note-WTF did they frock a 3rd for??
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
that is very true. a Frocked Petty officer, regardless of rank has the same authority as anyone who is getting paid for the same rank, maybe not the respect, but you respect the rank, not the individual right?

also, when you receive the paperwork from the CO it says "you have the authority and responsibility of a ________ petty officer"
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what his rank is...If he was left in charge by the boss...THAT'S THE GAME. What rank are the folks who are bitching?? Cause as much as it sucks-When everyone is the same-You gotta look at dates of promotion. We run into it all the time at my unit- We have a boat load of LT's....and someone has to be in charge...so Date of Rank matters.

they do that from time to time in the Navy. sometimes they cant make rank, others, they just deserve it, or just S enough D to get it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
A boss is a boss, if they are left in charge then you have to respect the person that said they will be left in charge. In my field of work teams of 4+ are created with every new job that comes up. SOMEONES gotta lead the teams, the boss's make the call who leads the group for the current task. I've been lead before, never got a pay raise, but your put through hell for 5 days cause EVERYONE comes to you for EVERYTHING.

Since he's just a temp, if he's not outright abusing the power, then let it go, he'll be gone in no time. Cause trust me, your boss's boss will take notice what a shit head he's being.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
You know how to solve this problem? Make Second Class.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like everyone covered this for ya.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
hahaha. thats what i did! but now the chief is down your back bc you're a work center sup.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
A boss is a boss, if they are left in charge then you have to respect the person that said they will be left in charge. In my field of work teams of 4+ are created with every new job that comes up. SOMEONES gotta lead the teams, the boss's make the call who leads the group for the current task. I've been lead before, never got a pay raise, but your put through hell for 5 days cause EVERYONE comes to you for EVERYTHING.

Since he's just a temp, if he's not outright abusing the power, then let it go, he'll be gone in no time. Cause trust me, your boss's boss will take notice what a shit head he's being.
Well i don't have any problems with the guy in charge... as far as i'm concerned, he's an E-4 and i'm an E-3, so he's the boss. lol other people just have a problem with authority i guess. I just wanted to find it in writing...
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post

I agree

and also, WTF did they frock a 3rd for!!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
Well i don't have any problems with the guy in charge... as far as i'm concerned, he's an E-4 and i'm an E-3, so he's the boss. lol other people just have a problem with authority i guess. I just wanted to find it in writing...
what is your rate?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post

What the hell are you doing in NM!!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
shore duty??

recruiting?? oh wait, are you coasties always on shore duty???

just messin gents....
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was mentioned once before. When frocked you have the authority to assume the title and the uniform of the frocked rank, including the responsibilities. However you are not entitled to other pay and allowances until actually advanced. For those Coasties (no disrespect) who didn't know why they would frock a third class, the Navy frocks every rank before their actual advancement. At least for us enlisted folks and that includes the Chiefs. If your third is frocked, He's a third, period. He's just not getting paid yet.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
LOL! I'm retired. I was on the Jarvis when I retired and could'nt afford to live in Hawaii so I came back to where I grew up. Now I'm a double dipper on Kirtland AFB.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
hahaha. thats what i did! but now the chief is down your back bc you're a work center sup.
I know I know, LOL! Wait 'till you get "gangway privilege" and find out it really means yer the first one on board and the last to leave.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
frocked?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by middiedefense View Post
frocked?
It's a promotion without the pay until a later date. You sew on the new rank, get the privilege and responsibility but not the pay or time in grade.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Ask them if they would question a chief after the pinning. I bet there are more than half of them are still getting paid as first classes right now.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #20
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Frocked you had passed the test for next grade up but had yet to put it on your arm..In the 60 if your Lt. wanted to move you up he did. Jim