Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Just picked up my DD-214 now what?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up my DD-214 now what?

I'm unemployed for the first time in my life ...

I got two months till the pay shuts off. What should I do?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
I'm unemployed for the first time in my life ...

I got two months till the pay shuts off. What should I do?
Take the Post 9/11 GI Bill and goto school!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
rackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura about
rackatak's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^ What he said. That is the best way to get started. I am loving it. Got hooked up with a great paying job when I went to one of my reserve musters. Keep your eyes open for opportunities, they will come from every direction. Just make sure you don't overload yourself.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Maybe... Already did my undergrad. I'm thinking more of what I should do all summer!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
rackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura about
Find a fun job, I worked at a gun store for a while. I loved that, wish I could go back but it barely paid the bills.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
That sounds like a bad ass job! Yeah I've found a few jobs I'd love to take, non of which pay much though lol
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Yeah, need that money to really enjoy the summer. Best of luck to you, keep us posted on how everything goes. If you need any help or got questions there are tons of military guys on here, I am sure we can help you out. If it gets real tough, PM me I might have a contact who can help you track down some jobs up there. He hooked me up with my current job.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
You can't fix stupid
Drew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Drew
Drew5387's Tacoma Gallery
Hooker???
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
$$ isn't a worry really. I spent a few years overseas and never spent a dime of it. Plus once the navy pay shuts off in Sept. I get full unemployment. Although now that I'm out its funny. I honestly have absolutely NO PLANS (other then tons of camping and wheeling) so i'm lost on what to do.

Hookers??? See enough of them in Manila...

I think I want to walk away from Aviation, funny to cause I studied it in college...
Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$$ isn't a worry really. I spent a few years overseas and never spent a dime of it. Plus once the navy pay shuts off in Sept. I get full unemployment. Although now that I'm out its funny. I honestly have absolutely NO PLANS (other then tons of camping and wheeling) so i'm lost on what to do.

Hookers??? See enough of them in Manila...

I think I want to walk away from Aviation, funny to cause I studied it in college...
Have fun for the summer....but try checking in with your area Veterans job center. There are usually lots of programs available..."Helmets to Hardhats" and "Troops to Teachers" are two that come immediately to mind.

Also, your service gives you Veteran's Preference in applying for Civil Service jobs...that's what I did after retiring from Active Duty Air Force a year and a half ago...check out "USAJobs.com".

Good Luck to you and THANK YOU for your service.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #11
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Have fun for the summer....but try checking in with your area Veterans job center. There are usually lots of programs available..."Helmets to Hardhats" and "Troops to Teachers" are two that come immediately to mind.

Also, your service gives you Veteran's Preference in applying for Civil Service jobs...that's what I did after retiring from Active Duty Air Force a year and a half ago...check out "USAJobs.com".

Good Luck to you and THANK YOU for your service.
x2- Lots of opportunities out there for Veteran's.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew5387 View Post
Hooker???
..and blow. You can't forget the blow. It's a matched set, like peanutbutter and jelly.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
First put on a good drunk, then GO BACK TO SCHOOL THIS FALL.Summer jobs are always the shit but find one you like. Other vets have helped me my whole life it will be the same for you young guns now. Best of luck in whatever you do & Thanks for your service! Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
..and blow. You can't forget the blow. It's a matched set, like peanutbutter and jelly.
Yeah but it only works if your doing lines off either a hooker or strippers ass crack!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane100700 View Post
Yeah but it only works if your doing lines off either a hooker or strippers ass crack!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I think about the same thing sometimes...its just not the same huh
Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Yep! Kailua? I lived in Kaneohe... Still here for four more days actually.