1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Federal Government wants to reduce our Pension!

Discussion in 'Military' started by solus, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jul 29, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    When it comes to unions for Police and firefighters they are worthless. It's not like the Police can strike for better pay. The only thing the union does is provide you with an attorney anytime you kill someone or you are being investigated by Internal repairs (affairs) or criminally. The union is powerless. Politicians always use pensions and benefits for an excuse to raise taxes. They say because we have to pay pensions for our people we have to raise taxes. Here on Earth we know they can't control spending money on those back door deals they promised people to get elected. New roads, buildings, tax breaks for whatever they do Etc.... At my dept. here's our situation, we get 80% at 25 years and 70% at 20 years of service. Plus medical till the day we die. They have since cut medical out. I put a shit ton of money in my 457 plan (like a 401k but your employer does not contribute). The reason i do this is because everyone knows civil servants don't make much money. Thats right folks big news flash to you private sector dudes. Going into my profession I knew i wasn't going to be rich did not want to be, I just hate bad guys simple. Anyway, my pension...... "ain't gonna be worth shit in the future." So, I invest. Been doin it since the day I started. Just my two cents

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I'll try to keep this non-political... this will be hard.

The retirement proposal put forth in this article is crap. Just another effort to shred our military. The retirement system has been and always will be a significant enticement to not only potential recruits but to seasoned service members sitting on the fence about a career. To disturb this is to to potentially disrupt the capabilities of our service. How? Well, one of the great things about the military (I speak about active duty members here) is there is a comfort and security in knowing your retirement is guaranteed upon departure. This security allows members to completely devout their attention to performing their duties without the worry of "what happens after this?" Of course, I'm being a bit vague, but I hope you get my meaning. The continual sacrifices, as Solus pointed out, are exhaustive and constant. Some are life-changing. The demands rarely cease, and there is a shared felt feeling among service members of "it is all worth it in the end." Not just for our nation's security, but our own family's, as well. When you take that comfort away, how does that ultimately affect recruitment, devotion to one's duty, and retainability of mid and senior level personnel (subject matter experts)? I really don't like to think about the possibilities.

I entered the service in 1991. At that time and every year since, I have read articles in the service "Times," (tabloids) where some jacked-up retirement proposal was being tossed around the halls of congress and at the Pentagon. Until recently, I have had little doubt these proposals would be scrapped in short order. In large measure, they were--quickly.

Things are different now. Our country is different now. If there was ever a time to make a significant move on the military retirement system, it is now. Why? Our economy is in the shitter... absolutely no market indications it is getting better anytime soon. All signs point to continued economic distress. 2) Military recruitment is at an all time high--all goals are being met and all services have waiting lists. There is a very hungry recruitment pool (we've even heard from TW members who are waiting for more than a year to enter, or who have had difficulties enlisting). The services no longer have to plead for recruits. So, with this captive audience, if you will, what can our government get away with here and still have no fear it can fill the ranks? Hard to say, but it sure is a potential opportunity for doing what hasn't been done before.

But there are still some hurdles--significant political hurdles--before anything would be passed. Currently, the House is owned by the Republicans... this proposal would never happen under a Republican House--the "R" base would come apart at the seams. Also, there are more military retirees than ever before that would not stand for anything that would disrupt military retirement to those retired or currently serving. Additionally, the will of the American people will be secured. I believe even though many do not like our current and recent foreign entanglement in the Middle East, most Americans support our troops without question. Most Americans would never go along with anything that would disturb those benefits (and ultimately their own security/peace of mind). Who's to say? There are things happening in our country now that I would never have imagined 20 years ago.

I RECOMMEND three things all of us service members can do immediately:

#1: Become active members of your professionally-affiliated orgs: MOAA, NCOA, AFSA, AFA, AUSA, ROA, ANA, NL, WMA... and many more. Most have very capable and aggressive lobbying efforts. Stay informed and let your voices be heard.

#2: Write an call your governors, senators and representative (both your hometown rep and the rep that represents the district you are currently serving). Don't stop at a one-time communication... keep the pressure on.

#3: Voice concerns through base/post-level associations, such as a senior NCO association, or junior grade officer association. Up-channel concerns to your respective service leadership and discuss these potential changes in and amongst your peers at monthly meetings.

Thanks for the article Solus.

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Exactly x2 (though I mentioned a couple of these in my post on page 1).

The Times is mainstream media owned by Gannett to sell papers though its topics are thought provoking every once its still somewhat sensationalism. You gotta sell those papers to make profit.

Do 1,2,3 if you want to make a difference. I contact my constiuents & stay involved exactly as above all the time even in my local community. Channel efforts to becoming active as opposed to reactive is much more effective. just as you gotta stay on top of your career during, you must after as well.

4. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    what contract would they breach? no where in your contract rather it be original enlistment or reenlistment does it say what your retirement is. dont get me wrong, i dont like any of this coming out, but they can change things to retirement without breach of contract

5. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Is it too late to say, IBTL?

6. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    DBradley

DBradley New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryl
    Pasadena
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The Retirement benefits were a "promise" by the US Government to those who served for sacrificing. There are very few who can understand the stress, both mental and physical, that the military puts on it's Service Members. With that said, the Government has routinely screwed Military Retirees over and over again, and they are just trying to do it again. I served 10 years before having a botched surgery land me a medical discharge. My wife is now at 20 years and will retire at 22 years. With the way they are treating the Military, it will not be long before everyone gets out and no one is joining.

7. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    I'll just start this off by saying I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for my upcoming comments. However, hear me out. I'm not necessarily for this change, and PERSONALLY I'm definitely against it.

However, there are some things that people aren't taking into consideration. One thing that this addresses is the ability for people that don't reach the 20 years to still work up a retirement. In the Air Force 157 majors at their 15-year mark just got rif'ed (fired) for not making Lt Col. They'll receive no pension what-so-ever unless they somehow convert to another gov job. Also, a lot of people on here have stated their excellent service to our country in their reasons for deserving what's coming to them but something we need to keep in mind is that our country does come first. And if this retirement plan is unsustainable then it needs correction.

Ok, almost done. Now that I'm done playing the devil's advocate I hate the sounds of this new plan but I just take the naive stance and hope that there are smarter people than me that figure this shit out. There's a lot more to consider than just "cut some other shit". But, I sure hope they figure out a better system than the one proposed. I hate the idea of not drawing ANYTHING until I'm 60. Especially if the USAF won't keep me beyond 20 years. If they're gonna kick me out after 20 they need to let me draw retirement.

8. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5

here is the actual presentation and proposal... this is making serious waves in the service and is under serious consideration... or course it still has some evolving to be done

Attached Files:

9. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I agree 100%. I work for the railroad as well.. The last pension to mess with is any military. Watch how many people won't join the military because of this alone.

10. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Congress and the DOD would prefer we all die within a couple of years of retiring.

11. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    After reviewing this proposal again today and speaking this evening with some politically-connected acquaintances, I would say we have little to worry about in the near term. Certainly not through the 2012 elections. No member of congress, even our President, is going make monumental military retirement reform a point of debate in an election year. However, my previous recommendations still stand. My first actions will include writing my representative, my senators, the Speaker, the majority and minority leaders, and ALL members of the Appropriations Committee and Defense sub-committee for appropriations.

Among my subordinates, peers, and leadership alike, this has been a hot-topic since it hit the Times. To say any transformation of our military retirement system of this magnitude is anything less than a massive cultural shift is ludicrous. Although not necessarily written in our own service contracts, our retirement system has been, since its' inception, an implied guarantee for career service members. It has, most likely, been the key incentive to retaining career service personnel (at least those at or near 10 yrs of service)--the brass ring if you will. Can you imagine the exodus that will take place if this plan gets legs? I spoke to a few friends today who are now seriously contemplating dropping their papers just at the shear mention of this plan. Hmm? Maybe that was the DoD's intent?

If this plan is eventually approved/implemented, I highly doubt there won't be some sort of "grandfathering" built into the final rollout. Again, as presented, this plan is absurd in the extreme.

12. Aug 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    WRITE YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE! This is talk now for a change that may or may not happen in a few months. As a Military member and US Citizen I'm going to excersize my right to voice my opinion to my state representatives. I've done it before. If we start now it will be less likely to go into effect due to the negative response. Tell your friends and familys to do the same if they feel the same.

If you don't vote or use the elected officials as you can, your just going to be a pawn in the mix. State reps job is to vote on bills for the people of their state for what the state feels is right. Doesn't matter what party they are in. If it's majority rule than it will show.

Products Discussed in

To Top