Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question...For the Navy peeps

Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
local_boy_21 is on a distinguished road
local_boy_21's Tacoma Gallery
Question...For the Navy peeps

If your in as an enlisted, can you become an officer without a degree? If so, how do you go about it?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. It is called becoming an LDO. (limited duty officer)

You have to be an e-6 to even think about it though. And to be honest I don't think it will be around much longer without having a degree. But it is a good deal.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
They are pushing for enlisted personnel to have a degree to make E-7. I don't know that they will get it into the rules, but the day seems to be coming. If your goal is to be a Naval officer, you should either do the college thing first or be ready to be enlisted until you can finish a degree.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
They are pushing for enlisted personnel to have a degree to make E-7. I don't know that they will get it into the rules, but the day seems to be coming. If your goal is to be a Naval officer, you should either do the college thing first or be ready to be enlisted until you can finish a degree.
I concur 110%. Finish school and start out that way. It is more difficult when you are enlisted to become an officer than it would be to come in as one.

Everyone who wants to go anywhere in the higher enlisted ranks WILL eventually need a degree. When that happens, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
local_boy_21 is on a distinguished road
local_boy_21's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.

Is it even worth being an officer? Besides the bigger pay and being saluted by the by the enlisted and taking on a bigger responsiblity.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
ShaneG is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO / P-3 Aircrew
Name: Shane
ShaneG's Tacoma Gallery
There are multiple commissioning programs available to anyone interested in picking up a commission. Check out the following link for info an each program:

http://www.navyadvancement.com/devel...er-program.php

Perks you ask? Money is one of the obvious choices. The difference in pay between officer and enlisted is pretty significant. Other perks depends on the individual. Increased responsibility isn't something I'd necessarily consider a perk, though others would beg to differ. Oh, and I wouldn't look at "getting saluted by the enlisted" as a perk. If that's something you would look forward to, I'd say your priorities are a bit out of whack.

Ghoster, a few years ago, MCPON Terry Scott put forth a program that an Associates Degree be required for advancement to Senior Chief and a Bachelors for Master Chief. MCPON Joe Campa squashed those requirements within weeks of taking over office. That having been said, more and more enlisted are knocking out degrees than ever before. Though they are not a requirement, one would be at a huge disadvantage come board time if you are not in possession of one.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my .02, you should come in enlisted, choose a rate that you can go straight to shore duty with, use TA (tuition assistance) to get your degree while on shore duty(its much harder to accomplish while at sea), put in an OCS (officer candidate school) package, and hope to get picked up. I think officers who are prior enlisted make better leaders because they've been in the enlisted mans shoes so to speak. It might take your whole 4 year enlistment to actually get your commision but then you have another 16+ years to serve as an officer. Oh and the greatest perk of all being an officer is the living conditions on ships. Just sayin. lol