1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question...For the Navy peeps

Discussion in 'Military' started by local_boy_21, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    local_boy_21

local_boy_21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Prerunner Double Cab
    If your in as an enlisted, can you become an officer without a degree? If so, how do you go about it?

2. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Yes. It is called becoming an LDO. (limited duty officer)

You have to be an e-6 to even think about it though. And to be honest I don't think it will be around much longer without having a degree. But it is a good deal.

3. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    They are pushing for enlisted personnel to have a degree to make E-7. I don't know that they will get it into the rules, but the day seems to be coming. If your goal is to be a Naval officer, you should either do the college thing first or be ready to be enlisted until you can finish a degree.

4. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    I concur 110%. Finish school and start out that way. It is more difficult when you are enlisted to become an officer than it would be to come in as one.

Everyone who wants to go anywhere in the higher enlisted ranks WILL eventually need a degree. When that happens, your guess is as good as mine.

5. Aug 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM
    local_boy_21

local_boy_21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Prerunner Double Cab
    Thanks.

Is it even worth being an officer? Besides the bigger pay and being saluted by the by the enlisted and taking on a bigger responsiblity.

6. Aug 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    ShaneG

ShaneG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner SR5
    There are multiple commissioning programs available to anyone interested in picking up a commission. Check out the following link for info an each program:

http://www.navyadvancement.com/development/navy-programs/enlisted-officer-program.php

Perks you ask? Money is one of the obvious choices. The difference in pay between officer and enlisted is pretty significant. Other perks depends on the individual. Increased responsibility isn't something I'd necessarily consider a perk, though others would beg to differ. Oh, and I wouldn't look at "getting saluted by the enlisted" as a perk. If that's something you would look forward to, I'd say your priorities are a bit out of whack.

Ghoster, a few years ago, MCPON Terry Scott put forth a program that an Associates Degree be required for advancement to Senior Chief and a Bachelors for Master Chief. MCPON Joe Campa squashed those requirements within weeks of taking over office. That having been said, more and more enlisted are knocking out degrees than ever before. Though they are not a requirement, one would be at a huge disadvantage come board time if you are not in possession of one.

7. Aug 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Here's my .02, you should come in enlisted, choose a rate that you can go straight to shore duty with, use TA (tuition assistance) to get your degree while on shore duty(its much harder to accomplish while at sea), put in an OCS (officer candidate school) package, and hope to get picked up. I think officers who are prior enlisted make better leaders because they've been in the enlisted mans shoes so to speak. It might take your whole 4 year enlistment to actually get your commision but then you have another 16+ years to serve as an officer. Oh and the greatest perk of all being an officer is the living conditions on ships. Just sayin. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top