1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your opinion of ROTC cadets?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Konaborne, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    true true, guess mine was kinda biased :rolleyes:
    And true about not having a schedule of every second of the day, know a couple that went buck wild after they finished just cause of the freedom

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    You'll be fine. I thought the same thing. I was a little apprehensive about fitting in but it's been great. The kids call me Pops and Sarge and have come to me for advice on everything from girls (of which I know little), to problems at home, to school related issues. I try to set the example for them and help them out. The majority of college kids are great. Some of them just need guidance and direction.

Speaking of weird, I've seen some crazy outfits. Like guys wearing girl's jeans 5 sizes too small with bright colored Chuck Taylor tennis shoes.

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    They are still serving their country and thats enough for me!

4. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    half the time it's sarcasm, half the time it's an awkward sobbish-story..

what school do you go to?

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    mgbulldog

mgbulldog . . .

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    fort bragg nc
    Vehicle:
    09 dc manual
    2.5 spacers, 1.5 aal, step rail, tinted tails, blacked out badges, urd short throw.
    this... all day, every day.

the number one thing that any new officer to remember no matter what their background is that you have to learn from your nco's. any new lt that comes in and is unwilling to use the experience of the nco is just asking for trouble, and disrespect. in my experience, west pointers are the worst about this, but it happens anywhere. at the same time, the nco has to learn to work with the lt to help develop him, let him know if he's totally ate up, but also enforce his plan no matter what. that's what the system is designed to do.

with regards to the cadets, ive witnessed some pretty cold acts particularly from the lower enlisted, but i myself dont hate on you guys too much. i have the highest respect for what youre trying to do.

and as to your original question, i wouldnt rock the army insignia until youre commissioned.

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I think I emphasized the tag thing too much, I'm more curious on the opinions of cadets rather than if I should put the tag up (but that's where the original q came from)
    dont want to make this look like a "hey, me too!" thread

:popcorn:

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    what school do you go to?[/QUOTE

The Citadel

8. Oct 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm currently a junior at Cameron University under the Green to Gold Active Duty option. I was selected as a Staff Sergeant (E-6) and am now an MSIII cadet. ROTC is a great program that I thoroughly enjoy, especially being a full time student while keeping all pay and benefits.

I think there are some bad and some good cadets out there, but it's up to the Cadre to weed them out before they hit the MSIII level. I see alot of sub-standard cadets who have no clue what they are doing, but it's all about their senior leadershio to groom them the right way before they commission so they don't end up being that typical 2LT that thinks they are above everyone.

9. Oct 8, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    :thumbsup: Agreed!

My wife is a Cameron graduate - got her degree when I was assigned to Sill from '81-'84. I taught in the tactics department and then commanded a battery in 212th brigade.

10. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Michael T

Michael T Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road
    I have to disagree with Arvizo.

The best officers are not prior enlisted; nor are they from ROTC or the Academies. It comes down to one thing, the "individual" Leader. I say Leader because it applies to NCO's too. Each of us are products of our past environments and experiences. You have to observe the good and the bad leaders. Pick out all of the good and get rid of the bad behaviors. It is easier said than done but very doable. That is how I approached my tenure in the greatest job I have ever had, that is an infantry platoon leader.

I went in the Army after I got my degree. I went to OCS to get my commission, but, I had been in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and ROTC at Sam Houston. After all of the normal infantry schools on to the 10th Mtn Division, 1-87 Inf BN. I saw every type of Officer, good and bad. The bad ones had the wrong perception about leadership. It is not about knowing as much as your guys but it is about leading them, inspiring them, training them, mentoring, coaching, and showing them respect. Every day in the infantry is a day on trial. There is more testoterone in an infantry platoon than the entire frickin NFL (they have more steriods! :) ) You have to earn their respect. You have to learn how to control that energy and you have to utilize it. As you learn from your guys and actually provide them with real, fair, consistent, smart leadership, they will follow you into the hell you are expected to operate in.

I appreciate your confidence in prior enlisted Officers, but trust me, there are some pecker heads in the prior enlisted officer group. We are human just like the enlisted guys. As for you ROTC guys, remember, you know nothing, yet. Be humble and learn from the experts. The experts are the guys that are there now, be it officer, 1SG, PSG, SL, or enlisted. Go in to each new experience as if you know nothing. Listen, ask questions, and go from there. As you grow as a leader, help the new leaders that come into your unit. Show them the way, give them good advice as they settle into your unit. Remember, soon you may be having to rely on them with your life. Good luck in your future careers.

And last but not least, "Rangers Lead the Way!" class 8-93 - when it was a real ranger school, not this pussy ass 3 phase shortened course they offer now. I hear they let you guys wear snivel gear now. What is up with that!?! JK, I love you all, stay safe and shoot some rounds for me.

11. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    ^^Well put...+1

12. Feb 18, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm sorry that I missed this back in Oct....but again this is a VERY broad stroke. I know guys who are E's (1st Class in under 6 years) that other E's have issues relating too...and those dudes get picked up for OCS because they usually have outstanding records. There are E's who are just plain jerks but they get great results...They get picked up. And those dude don't change....so saying unequivocally that priors make better officers is a pretty short sighted.
    I won't say that officers from Academy are better...because I know some folks who are 1st degree tools that came outta the Academy. So commissioning source doesn't matter-It's all about the person.

Personal example-Out of the 9 chiefs I worked with on the boat- 6 asked me what I did when I was enlisted...And 1 of the others said that he didn't care about what anyone did before he met them.
    It was because of my work ethic and attitude- They let assumptions like "priors make better officers" combined with what they saw me doing convince them that I was prior. I personally prefer the BMCs take on the whole thing-Doesn't matter what kinda past you've had- Just what you do now.

13. Feb 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner

Nope. That axe swings both ways...I've had AWESOME O's that never saw the light of day wearing dirty shirt blue...and had prior service O-E's that couldn't have led a Preschool class to the bathroom. And the other way around...it all depends on the individual, their attitude, and how much time they spend with their mentoring officers and senior enlisteds.

As I told my last DivO, a green LTJG, part of my job as an LPO was not just to manage my shop, but also to help HIM develop his skill sets as a new leader, making "suggestions" about how he should handle issues with the junior troops, checking in on the shops, etc.

But...he was a chowderhead who didn't listen too well (and I quote="I'M the officer, I tell YOU what to do!"). Not in MY shop, Pally. Finally got him bumped and picked up another JG who didn't have an attitude, we got along great, and he turned into a pretty decent DivO.

14. Feb 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Bingo, the best O's i've ever met are either:

Students from the Citadel

or

Mustangs.

15. Feb 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    yeah, go bulldogs :D

16. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    As a former Cadet, I can attest that (at least in MY day) El Cid tended to weed out the weak and weary in the first year.

Knob year ain't no joke...but going through it made Boot Camp a freaking breeze!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top