Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Spent 8 years in the Navy as a Electrician and no ones hiring WTF

Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know how many military bases are in OR, but that would be a good option for you, civil service, you have priority. It does take about 6 months to get hired (I have been offered 2 jobs at local bases here, they just don't pay as much as I am currently making ), and they are alway hiring, USAjobs.com.

Or look at defense contractors, they will hire vets first usually (if your skill set meets the job requirements), you might have to move. This is how I got my last 2 jobs, work for Boeing now as a EE. CA is a good place for defense jobs I will say that.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
Have you looked up in Seattle at Boeing?

They hire lots of vets and with the 787 and Navy Refuel projects coming on-line I would think they would want electricians/engineers.

Although, with the design phase completed, they are probably looking for line workers primarily.
+1, friend of mine just got hired on at Boeing a month ago as a 787 electrician.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about your situation and thanks for your service.

FDs and PDs look favorably upon guys that were in the military.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #24
Built Ford Tough.
Fisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the roughFisheez is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zack
Fisheez's Tacoma Gallery
Time to move to Hawaii. I heard they are in need of electricians with certifications like yours.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I tell all the pending retiree's before they get out - do you have a job yet? The market sucks. You shouldn't be all that surprised ... it's only been on the news every day for what, like 4 years?

What are you applying to? Overqualified with a degree? Sometimes it's not about what you have, it's about having more than your boss. In a shitty job environment? You should move if you can. really desperate? reserves or AD can happen again, assuming you weren't med boarded.

Civil service jobs typically give extra credit for prior service. EMS isn't hard to get into, pays about $8-10/hr starting and you'll never make more than $30K a year until you're a medic. But it's something. Fire or PD is tough unless you're in a less urban/suburban area, then you might be able to get in fairly easy.

For the reading public: Mad that the recruiter failed to mention that blowing up tanks and shooting haji's won't translate well into the civilian sector? If you're a combat MOS (I know the OP isn't ), maybe you stay in ... if you can. I understand there are circumstances.

Anyway, good luck. It's tough out there. I hate seeing guys get out and are totally flabbergasted that they aren't hired - but you have to realize, the ECONOMY is what's happened to America.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
like most posts state,they don't care if you'r a vet or not. places like tobyhanna army depot, here in pa., probablly would hire a vet first. suggestions were made to look for jobs at similar type companies. it seems that nothing has changed,when it comes to certain things. I believe that a vet should have preference,but it doesn't work that way most of the time, plus the economy isn't doing too well. I just read that bank of america is laying off 30,000 people. good luck!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #27
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
DUDE i hear ya man... I got a security clearance too bro... Only job I can find is $9.50 an hr at UPS WTF??? Thats half of what unemployment pays

Don't hate on UPS man, thats a hell of a job if you stick with it. My buddy works for UPS now... started out on the bottom and in 2 years he's already managing.... full benefits and good pay.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Anyone else get out recently and find out no one gives two sh*ts about your military career? I have a BS in Aeronautical Science and now I'm stuck at a community college bored and looking for work. WTF happened with America?
Hey Man, Move up here... we were just awarded a 25 Billion dollar contract last week for building new combat ships.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #29
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Get into the insurance field as a CSR. They always need people since insurance is needed. Plus its easy to transfer between states.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Texas isn't hiring much either. And you almost have to speck another language with a tan. I'm just saying it's not fair but it's just how it is. Good luck on the job search. I know alot of troops are coming back and probably won't have a job to come back too.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #31
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Usajobs.com

I been working at the depot here for the last 10 years. C17 at Robins AFB is always looking for peeps. If you want to relocate that is.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #32
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you mean...I just graduated with a BS in aeronautics, AS in a/c maint with an aviation safety & management minors and I haven't been called back because I don't have my A&P yet(working on it)...now i'm waiting for unemployment to kick in since I was dropped from an AMC support tour for "funding issues"
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #33
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Usajobs.com

I been working at the depot here for the last 10 years. C17 at Robins AFB is always looking for peeps. If you want to relocate that is.
Usajobs.gov
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #34
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Electricians got it rough in this economy. My buddys dad was a Foreman. He knows his shit, but places won't hire him because he's Union, and he was a Foreman so they don't want to give him a High pay. Most of those places rather hire some kid fresh out of a tech school or Community college because they can pay them less.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #35
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Electricians got it rough in this economy. My buddys dad was a Foreman. He knows his shit, but places won't hire him because he's Union, and he was a Foreman so they don't want to give him a High pay. Most of those places rather hire some kid fresh out of a tech school or Community college because they can pay them less.
You don't get paid for how much work you can perform for the company, you get paid for the knowledge you know.

If somebody fresh out of tech school knows there shit, experience is nothing in the world of trades far as that...I know of people fresh out of school who applied for positions that say minimum 4 years experience...got the job because they know there shit.

I know MY shit, I'm 21 years old and I've only been working at my current company for 9 months..but I'm in a pretty high pay scale because they pay me for the knowledge I know....which in return provides gains for the company.

No offense but companies don't higher as many older people for various reasons. One is called benefits, specifically health. Other is who knows how long they will stick around. Younger people tend to stick around to a job that involves a dedicated skilled trade.

and if that young person was smart, they wouldn't work for less pay anyway...if my company tried doing that, I'd find another company and it wouldn't be hard...because of my knowledge.

Experience doesn't mean as much in trades these days IMO, as it did 20 years ago.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
JRob33 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Barksdale AFB
Name: Josh
JRob33's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine used Bradley Morris which only deals with military members and had good luck at getting an Electrician Job. Only thing is that you might have to move to get it.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob33 View Post
A friend of mine used Bradley Morris which only deals with military members and had good luck at getting an Electrician Job. Only thing is that you might have to move to get it.
I can second Bradley Morris. They got a job lined up for my wife when she got out. In fact, they had it lined up 3 weeks before she actually got out.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #38
Pit Snipe 1997 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Salty dog. LPD 6, ARDM 5,LHA 1,LSD 42, CVN 76. Various assingnments.
Name: Scott
Pit Snipe 1997's Tacoma Gallery
look into usajobs.com. I was an MM after 14 years i got out and in three months i was hired by the dept of the Navy working in the boiler plants
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Snipe 1997 View Post
look into usajobs.com. I was an MM after 14 years i got out and in three months i was hired by the dept of the Navy working in the boiler plants
Make sure you buy those years of federal service for your retirement credit.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #40
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
i got out in 07 and got hired at a power plant making 85k a year + overtime with 0 college. jobs are out there.