LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Help packing for first time on a USS

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Help packing for first time on a USS

Hey guys,
I'm a civi that is going on a gray boat pleasure cruise for ~3 weeks and need to know what to pack other than clothes.

How does laundry work?

Will I have a place to put my kit or does it need to live in a bag?

Is a duffel bag or sea bag the best way to go?

Should I plan on wearing some 5.11 bdu pants so I'm not in jeans?

What do I need to know?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
What type of ship?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
What type of ship?
LHD
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I spent 11 months on a lhd. for three weeks it shouldnt be that bad. I would pack in a sea bag since they are the easiest to carry. they should have a self serve laundry area but better be prepared to spend at least 2-3 hours down there waiting. also normally each element on the boat should have there own laundry day where it gets done in the big machines. make sure you get laundry bags and the pins then tie your bag above the pin if you hand it in that way so nothing comes out. What are you going on there as a civi for?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
What are you going on there as a civi for?
Thanks for the tips! Like I said before, it is a pleasure cruise

..going for work reasons..
Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Like I said before, it is a pleasure cruise

haha well i dont know which lhd your going on but none of my time was for pleasure lol.. i meant are you going as a tech rep or like the navy civilian that puts trips together... i cant remember what they call him. either way i am pretty sure you get a state room so thats alllready better than a berthing(sp).
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Well you Wong have to worry bout packing your sea legs. Those ships don't move much.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
Hey guys,
I'm a civi that is going on a gray boat pleasure cruise for ~3 weeks and need to know what to pack other than clothes.

How does laundry work?

Will I have a place to put my kit or does it need to live in a bag?

Is a duffel bag or sea bag the best way to go?

Should I plan on wearing some 5.11 bdu pants so I'm not in jeans?

What do I need to know?

Thanks!

I'm stationed on an LHD right now... and i can tell you it probably won't be very "pleasurable". lol unless you don't have to work much. Anyway, you'll most likely just do ur laundry in the self-serve machines. So be sure to bring some detergent and a laundry bag/pins. As stated before you'll probably be staying in a stateroom in which case you should have a locker to store ur things in. Sea bags are ok, but a duffel would be fine as well if you can fit everything in a duffel bag. Jeans are perfectly fine for a civi to be wearing on ship. Make sure you wear a pair of steel toe boots, i'm not 100% sure its mandatory for the civilians but it is for military onboard to wear steel toe. be prepared to wait in long lines for everything. Mess decks, ship's store, laundry, etc. Don't forget to bring a little money to buy stuff from the ship's store if you want snacks or if you accidentally forget your toothbrush, laundry detergent or whatever. oh and don't forget ur camera...
Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
Pack at least enough clothes for half of your trip. Your more than likely going to have your own Stateroom, and will more than likely have access to Self Serve Laundry. Bring your own soap, a Laundry bad incase you do not have access to Self Serve. Stateroom Laundry is normally picked up twice a week. Should be dropped back off the same day or the next morning. I was on an LPD for 4 years, so this is where my knowledge is coming from. Also bring yourself some non-frozen meal replacements (ramen, completes meals, etc.) You should be able to get snacks onboard, though if you dont want to have to wait in lines and such to get them bring those also. Might seem that I am over reacting, but I spent 5 years at sea, and just thinking back to stuff that would have made underways easier. If you are a smoker go buy whatever you smoke, ships store will only have what they have. If you smoke anything other than Marlboro Reds / Lights / Menthols / Menthol Lights, or Newports you will be really pissed about having to smoke something else.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
whats an LHD
Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Tacoma convert
Thank you for all the great advice! Looks l will need to pick a few things up to make this as painless as possible.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
whats an LHD

Welldeck at night

Unrep
Old 09-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #13

Marines:
exellent pic... best type of lhd is one with no harriers on it! oh and those two beasts in the aft slash right behind tilly.. the best AC ever!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the pics ,not what I expected at all
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
AV8BTacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines:
AV8BTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking the Harriers were out flying and the 53s were all down for maint...

Quote:
exellent pic... best type of lhd is one with no harriers on it! oh and those two beasts in the aft slash right behind tilly.. the best AC ever!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Which LHD?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8BTacoma View Post
I'm thinking the Harriers were out flying and the 53s were all down for maint...
or the harriers never made it to the ship.lol
Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
AV8BTacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines:
AV8BTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Heinous! Harriers are always where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be... except when we're broke.

Quote:
or the harriers never made it to the ship.lol
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8BTacoma View Post
Heinous! Harriers are always where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be... except when we're broke.
Good thing that Uncle Sam just bought 40 something decom'd UK harriers for spare parts.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Let me say this, there is no gray boat pleasure cruise...ever.!
hahahaha, someone tricked you.
Honestly, you should be berthed in a stateroom and should be able to eat in the ward room (officers galley). Additionally, your laundry can be done up in officer country in a regular machine. Take some cash, sometimes a check works, to get credit to use on the ship. Most are cash free and it just takes a trip to the disbursing office to get credit.
If you are heading to the USS Wasp (LHD 1) let me know, I left in 2009 and still know some people.