1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Force straight out of high school or...

Discussion in 'Military' started by WhiteTacoma93, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    WhiteTacoma93

WhiteTacoma93 [OP] ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4
    Just looking for some advice here. All my life I've wanted to be a part of something that's bigger than myself. I've wanted to be a part of something that will have an impact. I want to experience things that can't be experienced normally. So the thought of joining the air force has been coming to my mind for the past couple months.
    Either way I'm not going straight to a 4 year college if I wasn't doing the air force. I'd be going to a JC for 2 years then transfering. What would be the better move on my part. Air force straight out of high school or JC for 2 years then enlist?

Just looking for some advice from you guys
    Thanks

2. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
  3. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM
    WingNut55

WingNut55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC TRD Off-Road T|X Pro
    I went into the Air Force right after I graduated HS, 13+ years now for me...best decision I ever made...

4. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Go with a ROTC program and become an officer unless you want to enlist...

5. Oct 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    The USAF does not have enlisted Soldiers.

Do what you feel is best for you at the time. Serving is an honorable and rewarding thing.

6. Oct 3, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    After graduating high school, a few of my friends decided to go into the military. I support the military and believe in what it stands for, however, I always tried to persuade them to reconsider out of fear that something could happen to them. Little did I know that I would later on be entertaining the idea of joining myself. I asked them for their opinions and they have told me that if they were to do it again, they would much rather join as an officer. The way people (enlisted vs. officer) are treated is supposedly night and day. Having the degree makes you a lot more desirable/marketable and opens up a lot more doors. I know school sucks big time. To me it just seems like a piece of paper that you can list on your resume but, at the same time, it says that you have discipline, and are able to learn and be taught. It also will contribute when you leave the military supposing you don't choose to make it a career. For whatever it's worth, from a random guy on the internet with no military experience (yet), get the degree. It'll end up paying for itself.

7. Oct 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    go to college first... get the inevitable childish BS out of your system, then join the AF as an officer.

All you know right now is HS... College will let you slowly transistion to the real world... then you can join the military. In my experience about 50% of all folks who roll into the military straight outta HS now are too immature for it. That being said, college isn't about maturity but will give you more time to experience life without the consequences.

8. Oct 4, 2011 at 4:21 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    It depends. Normally I'd say finish school but since you haven't started and since you only plan for a two year degree I say go on into the Air Force now.

During your four years in the Air Fore you can very easily get your 2 year degree. Plus I'm pretty sure that they, like the Army, has Tuition Assistance that will pay up to $4,000 a year for classes. Plus the Air Force has it's own college where they will give credit for some of your training.

Once you get out you can then use the new Post 9/11 GI Bill. Not only do they pay for everything but you get a monthly living allowance. In my case it is $1,500. In addition if you join the Air Force Reserve or National Guard after you get off Active Duty you will collect another check.

I don't know about your money situation but why have your parents pay for it? Do it yourself and I guarantee that you will feel better about it and will probably study harder and take it more serious

In my case my dad said he would pay for me to go to school but I wanted to do it myself. I didn't want to take his money because I saw how hard he worked for it. Plus I always knew from when I was little that I was going to join the Army. I was going in come hell or high water.

I graduated High School in June and in August I was in Basic Training. I planned on doing three years and getting out to go to school. lt turned out that I liked the Army and made the decision to stay in. I don't regret it one bit and would do it all over again if I could.

Also, it is getting harder to get in, not easier. If during that two years you was to get into trouble or have any type of injury or illness, it could prevent you from getting in. The days of handing out moral and medical waivers for everything just because they need the bodies are over.

You will have to decide what it best for you and what you want to do. Everyone's situation is different and they want different things.

9. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    toyPreRunner

toyPreRunner LET'S GO JOE'S!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    West Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB PreRunner
    It really is your decision, everyone's situation is different. But I completely agree with solus. More and more people who join right out of high school are not mature enough to be in. Most of the time they try to do the same things that their civilian friends are doing in college and end up getting in trouble for it.

Also, enlisted and officer really depends on what you want to do when you're in. You can't fly aircraft as enlisted but at the same time you can't turn wrenches as an officer. I know there are some jobs that have enlisted and officer doing the same thing or similar, and in that case it would probably be better to get your commission. But again, your situation might call for something else.

10. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    DirtyHerk

DirtyHerk New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double Cab
    It is all up to you. You just have to weight all the pros and cons. I came in the Air Force 12 days after I graduated High School when I was 17. I have been in almost 16 years now. And those have been both good and bad years, just like with any job. I know if I went to college right out of high school I would have wasted money and failed out. I came in learned a trade and have seen the world. It is all up to you and what you want.

11. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Luckily, I got all my crazy stuff knocked while in HS. So joining after graduation wasn't a real problem. You can always go to college while your in. Plus it's 100% tuition assistance currently. But it will most likely change soon.

12. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    My opinion.................. Air Force.

13. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Muscles

Muscles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    K&N Air Intake
    Well said.

14. Oct 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    I've enlisted into the Army back in April. I got a wicked job lined up for me and I just gotta wait acouple more weeks and I'll finally have the money to "finish" my truck. haha

15. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I almost want to wager a guess that Zac and Gunner are PJ's, since 99% of the normal population doesnt give a rip about the Jolly Green Giant.

Overall, the AF isnt bad. You just need to figure out if the military is the right thing for you. For me, the hooah has waned over the past couple of years, so im more apt to transitioning back to civilian life.

16. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    I vote AF....

Going into the Army right after HS was the best thing I ever did - it a lot of ways IT SUCKED, but most of that was bad leaders.... but for the most part, it was GREAT. I grew up a lot, learned a ton of life lessons, and it was a great experince. It also really helped with college (GI-Bill) when I got out.

Not to turn this into an Army vs. Air Force debate - but I'm glad to hear you say AF.... there are pros and cons of each, but AF is the way to go!

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    BMT will do that in itself.

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    rydaniels

rydaniels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl manual
    bone stock except tool box in bed
    My grandpa enlisted in the AF in 1963 to more or less avoid the draft and Vietnam. He chose an "occupation" ( at the time SAC) to distance himself from Vietnam but he got sent to Thailand. At any rate he told me all he wanted to be was a Tech Sgt, but there was RIFting going on so his opportunities to advance to Tech Sgt were limited so he went OCS etc etc and got a commission. I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago when I grad. HS. My parents were dead set on having me go to college 1st. 5 years later I am still in College with 1 year left ( I have to work to pay for school). I looked into OCS but a 5 year relationship with a girl I am very fond of pretty much eliminated that option. If I had to do it all over again I would have enlisted in either AF or Army out of HS and then have the gov't pay for my education. BTW my grandpa retired from the AF after 20 yrs in and in the civilian world he was an engineer. Like others have said there are pros and cons to the whole deal. But who says you cant try JC or community college 1st and if you dont like it you can always enlist later...say 20 years old. My gfs brother did that. He worked odd jobs and partied and came to the conclusion this past summer that he was not going anywhere in life and was not going to college any time soon. He has no obligations to family or women etc so he enlisted in the army and shipped to ft benning this past week. There are a lot worse things you can do with your life.

19. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I will take that wager.

20. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    USMC INFANTRY... the wildest roller coaster you'll ever ride in your life. That is if you have what it takes...

Products Discussed in

To Top