LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

A & P License before i get out??

Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Betty Blue
Fennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: VFA
Name: Matt
Fennywald's Tacoma Gallery
A & P License before i get out??

Anybody working military aviation get their A & P license or any kind of FCC certification? Is it worth it? I want to have something to fall back on if i decide to get out of the military. I love working on planes and would like to keep doing it if i do get out in the future.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Dirty 3'
RickerRicker19 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Motor Transport Licensing Sergeant V3/4
Name: John
RickerRicker19's Tacoma Gallery
Getting any kind of certs BEFORE you get out and using TA for it is a great idea. I'm personally a motor t bubba and I'm planning on getting my CDL certs class A with hazmat here in the next year or two so that I have something to fall back on.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Betty Blue
Fennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickerRicker19 View Post
Getting any kind of certs BEFORE you get out and using TA for it is a great idea. I'm personally a motor t bubba and I'm planning on getting my CDL certs class A with hazmat here in the next year or two so that I have something to fall back on.
Yea thats exactly my thinking, just so i have something to show besides my experience. Just wondering if anybody has any words of wisdom or advice from personal experience.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Dirty 3'
RickerRicker19 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Motor Transport Licensing Sergeant V3/4
Name: John
RickerRicker19's Tacoma Gallery
I've watched several of my friends do this when they got out and I stayed. I've encouraged all of my Marines to do the same. Some are doin ok, some have gotten hit by the depression/recession (whatever you want to call it....it sucks), and the better half took the school route. I'm getting out at 12. I've had enough of getting stuffed into a plane, ship, or tent lol. On top of that everyone I knew and enjoyed working with is getting out. I've still got friends but it's the ones that have stayed in another term and we bumped into each other time and time again. It's been good but that's my plan as it stands. Maybe I'll get staff here this year but I might not be in zone again.

Make sure you take advantage of seps/taps. A really good friend of mine is going through it right now and I quote "They practically throw money at you for education" so make sure you take notes, keep all your papers, and learn what you can.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennywald View Post
Anybody working military aviation get their A & P license or any kind of FCC certification? Is it worth it? I want to have something to fall back on if i decide to get out of the military. I love working on planes and would like to keep doing it if i do get out in the future.
if you are interested in maybe getting a pilot's liscense, i can hook you up with a guy that knows alot of people, i work with him he has done 85-90% of the program, and the GI bill pays for it. just fyi. BC you already know so much from the navy, and i personally think it is tits...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Betty Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
if you are interested in maybe getting a pilot's liscense, i can hook you up with a guy that knows alot of people, i work with him he has done 85-90% of the program, and the GI bill pays for it. just fyi. BC you already know so much from the navy, and i personally think it is tits...
Haha that is interesting and i did get an hour of flight time while i was on one of my airshow dets. I think i only would need 30 something more hours for a personal license. I liked flying, but i think i might stick to working on them for a while lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Haha that is interesting and i did get an hour of flight time while i was on one of my airshow dets. I think i only would need 30 something more hours for a personal license. I liked flying, but i think i might stick to working on them for a while lol.
Flying is better than working...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Betty Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
Flying is better than working...
Agreed, but i wouldn't have to worry about crashing
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
marine6174 is on a distinguished road
Marines: UH-1N Crew Chief, Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 773 Det B
Name: Michael
marine6174's Tacoma Gallery
well first, depending on whether you want just the airframes, just the powerplants or both. Airframes requires a minimum of 18 months, powerplants is the same but if you want both it is a combined 30 months. Then to obtain your authorization slips to actually take the tests you must fill out two copies of the 8610-2 Airman Certification and/or Rating Application Form (available on the faa.gov website). Take those to your nearest FAA maintenance inpector along with your training jacket and he or she will perform an interview with you ensuring that you have the mental competency to work on aircraft. They will then decide if you can do your written, oral and practical exams or if you require additional training before you take the tests. There is also Bakers School of Aeronautics in Nashville, TN that guarantees you a pass in the A&P tests but it's around a $1500.00 cost. I've been looking into this for a while and is something I am definitely going to have in my hands before I EAS since i have already had multiple job offers starting at 6 figures a year once I have my A&P license. Any other questions, just call your FAA inspector and ask them or they can direct you to someone who can.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Betty Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6174 View Post
well first, depending on whether you want just the airframes, just the powerplants or both. Airframes requires a minimum of 18 months, powerplants is the same but if you want both it is a combined 30 months. Then to obtain your authorization slips to actually take the tests you must fill out two copies of the 8610-2 Airman Certification and/or Rating Application Form (available on the faa.gov website). Take those to your nearest FAA maintenance inpector along with your training jacket and he or she will perform an interview with you ensuring that you have the mental competency to work on aircraft. They will then decide if you can do your written, oral and practical exams or if you require additional training before you take the tests. There is also Bakers School of Aeronautics in Nashville, TN that guarantees you a pass in the A&P tests but it's around a $1500.00 cost. I've been looking into this for a while and is something I am definitely going to have in my hands before I EAS since i have already had multiple job offers starting at 6 figures a year once I have my A&P license. Any other questions, just call your FAA inspector and ask them or they can direct you to someone who can.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed, but i wouldn't have to worry about crashing
If you worked on it and it crashes, you will have to worry!!

Get it before you get out...should be much easier to do.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #12
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Name: Bill
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
Take it from an old Airframer who DIDN'T get it before he got out...GET IT! MAJOR difference in $$.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Betty Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
If you worked on it and it crashes, you will have to worry!!

Get it before you get out...should be much easier to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Take it from an old Airframer who DIDN'T get it before he got out...GET IT! MAJOR difference in $$.
Thanks for the advice, still in proccess of trying to find a facility near me that does the testing.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, still in proccess of trying to find a facility near me that does the testing.
Call the Richmond FAA office, they have a list of approved proctors.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
junior07 is on a distinguished road
Marines: CPL Safety and Survival Mech, VMM-264
junior07's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a college not to far from me that offers A&P and they have things set up next month that I was going to go to but can't since I'll be out doing some training in Cali. Doing the A&P is a great idea also getting out with CDI quals and any and all GSE quals you can will also make it that much better. I planned on starting the A&P classes here but will have to wait and see what is offered at my next duty station unless I can do some really long distance courses with the college here
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Yes A & P is worth it! I have mine and paid over 20k for the schooling.If you can get it out of the military its well worth it! especially if you can catch on a contracting gig its well worth it ask me how i know
Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Betty Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior07 View Post
Theres a college not to far from me that offers A&P and they have things set up next month that I was going to go to but can't since I'll be out doing some training in Cali. Doing the A&P is a great idea also getting out with CDI quals and any and all GSE quals you can will also make it that much better. I planned on starting the A&P classes here but will have to wait and see what is offered at my next duty station unless I can do some really long distance courses with the college here
Yea already have all the quals i can possibly get for my rank and workcenter and then some... Just wondering how thats going to translate to a civilian job when i get out or whether i can put those on a resume or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Call the Richmond FAA office, they have a list of approved proctors.
Will do, thanks Mims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Yes A & P is worth it! I have mine and paid over 20k for the schooling.If you can get it out of the military its well worth it! especially if you can catch on a contracting gig its well worth it ask me how i know
Cool, thats exactly what i'm trying to do. Just trying to see if there's a school closer than richmond..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Quote:
Yea already have all the quals i can possibly get for my rank and workcenter and then some... Just wondering how thats going to translate to a civilian job when i get out or whether i can put those on a resume or something
Yes, those quals look good on a resume; I got hired after one phone interview with the company I work for...sight unseen. They took a look at my quals, certs, knoledge, skills, and abilities, and snapped me up. And I have worked out quite well for them, if I may say so myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennywald
Will do, thanks Mims!
NP, that's what Shipmates are for! (For those of you wondering, we were in a squadron together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennywald
Cool, thats exactly what i'm trying to do. Just trying to see if there's a school closer than richmond..
There is one somewhere in Hampton Roads, they come out to CNATTU all the time....
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
wes mantooth ™
friggin airdales

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a job maintaining aircraft when you leave the military, you will need an A&P so I would get it if you can. I have been working as an A&P IA for 27 years now. There is going to be a real need for A&P's starting now due to a shortage in the industry, but you will need the FAA A&P to get a good job.