1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combat Uniforms Worn in Civilian/Public Areas - Rant

Discussion in 'Military' started by asphaltpilot, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats

Thats a joke rght Bahahahahahaha!

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    HAHA Fuck yeah Rockin the flight suit. Everybodies gelous and you even get saluted once in a while.

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    Marines: are you allowed to wear your dress uniform at a bar and drink at said bar?

4. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    Yes, but we're still supposed to be/look professional (not hammered).

5. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    And we are supposed to still wear the dress uniform correctly too! i.e. not undo the clasp and top buttons on the jacket.

...I have been guilty of that though! :drunk:

6. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    I agree that you shouldn't wear your uniform to bars and nightclubs. However it's perfectly fine to stop at the store after work before going home, or going from work to your kid's school sporting functions. No other professionals run home to change just to get back out and run errands, why should the armed forces?

7. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    dont bitch about the guys that protect your freedom... Just my .02

8. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you didn't notice-It's in the military section....So the people doing the bitching protect freedom too. As least for the most part...There are the civilian folks who post up in here...but the OP was military with a gripe about military issues.

9. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    Didnt see that :facepalm:

10. Nov 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  11. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    skyshark82

skyshark82 Active Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Wearing the uniform has nothing to do with safety or counter-terrorism, but everything to do with recruiting and patriotism. The Army loosened the strings on after hours wear of the ACU in order to use the uniform as a recruiting tool, basically free advertisement to join the Army during a time of war. Additionally, the wearing of the uniform in public among civilians spurs patriotism among the population, faith in the military, etc., Of course the opposite affect happens when a military member in uniform acts like a jack-ass. As the war winds down and we enter an era of drawing down troops, expect some of these standards to revert back to a more strict wear policy.

12. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    marine6174

marine6174 Member

Member:
    None, yet.
    what is really funny if you actually read the Army and Air Force uniform regulations for their ACUs or ABUs or whatever, they are the same as the Marine Corps, only allowed to wear the utility uniform out in town in an absolute emergency. But the Army and Air Force choose not to police their own people and actually take pride in their branch, unlike Marines who would get lit up if ANY other Marine saw them in their cammies off base whether they be Active, Reserve or retired.

13. Dec 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    armyman89

armyman89 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mikkel
    new market alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 taco prerunner
    i am in the nationl guard and have to drive about 80miles to drill once a month and i work at my unit 4days a week. the only time i wear my uni out is IF my wife tells me to stop and get something on the way home or if we have dinner plans and i cant make it home to change. i have seen a couple of guys wearing their PCs at like walmart and they will be in civis and i cant tell you how much that pisses me off. and another good example was a woman wearing her uni at a restraunt down the road from my house with shoes on!!! i walked up to her and asked if she had a profile and she said she didnt and she didnt care. i mean wtf is wrong with some people!!!!

14. Dec 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    randyp83

randyp83 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    none
    I'm an Army recruiter and wear Acu's all the time. However, I wear my Asu's when I git to high schools.

15. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    There's a NG guy that wears his beret with his safeway uniform on the night shift here.
    Apparently, he doesn't find anything wrong with it, he's even been called out on it and still wears it

16. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:38 AM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Why dosnt anyone just correct them for it? I saw a NG guy in WV wearing his combat shirt that is only worn when wearing an IOTV. I walked up to him asked him if he was in, then asked his rank so I would do it respectfully, and he was two ranks below me so I explained how it makes him look to me. He may look cool to his friends but he disrespects something bigger than himself and look foolish for trying to sport the combat shirt when filling up his car in hickville WV. You make someone look at it from your view they might just change. Then again they might not and they will be the people getting the boot when the 120,000 soldiers have to go. Thank god

17. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    ACU=Army Combat Uniform ABU=Airmen Battle Uniform

18. Dec 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Some people value looking cool over the "bigger picture" behind the uniform.
    a 1sg straight up walked up to him and took it off his head, and gave him a pretty good talking to
    next week, he was back to wearing it...

19. Dec 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    If it bothers u so much you could always talk to them manager or owner of the store.

20. Dec 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    thatguy0o0

thatguy0o0 trunk monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rapid City SD
    Vehicle:
    White '13 TRD Sport.
    The only time I did wear my ABUs in public was on my way home from tech school. The mtl made us wear our uniform while traveling home because it was "still a duty day". I will add that I felt like a retard :/ I mean in basic we were specifically told not to travel in uniform. But yes I understand being upset about people in combat attire when not at work. The only time I did it was when I had no choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top