1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Combat Uniforms Worn in Civilian/Public Areas - Rant

Discussion in 'Military' started by asphaltpilot, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    THis xmas i saw kids skating in PTs in a mall parking lot , when i got inside the mall i saw to douchers in ACUs with the black berets on . I was almost tempted to stop them and let them know they didnt get the memo on the black berets

Next Xmas im gonna strut through town wearing my maroon beret

AIRBORNE!

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Murph

Murph Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fox Valley, WI
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    3" lift. American racing 15'' rims. 33x12.50 BFG A/T tires. tool box. ARB bumper, mile marker winch, kc highlights. No carpet inside sprayed with bed liner. Kicker door speakers. Alpine head unit.
    I hate going anywhere in my uniform! I don't understand why most army guys wear there uniforms to public places... were in a military town! Nobody cares that your in the military lol.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Because we are (were) allowed and sheer convenience.

I wonder if I can still fit in my BDU's circa 1992... :eek:

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    SO whats with these lil ROTC highschool kids I see walking around in full dress uni's sporting earings and doucer puck rock hard dos and tennies? Fuck misses me off

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    Whiskey tango foxtrot... had i seen that i would kick some ass for disrespecting the uniform.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    Catcrazed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    Well i didn't want to go to jail but ive seen it a couple times one wasnt to bad but deff not up to MIL spec the second time it was like carring a skate board and a huge dangling earing I almost pulled it out. But I fig the recruiters are allowing it to seem cool.

7. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    One thing that I hate that we enforce. When you travel on airlines, usually you'll get special treatment if you are in uniform, such as the VIP rooms and whatnot, first class... etc. If you're not, your SOL. For us, we are told NOT to wear our uniforms in such areas so that we do not draw attention, such as to be a target, should an incident occur.

8. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    it's more HS instructors are allowing that, rather than the recruiters.

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 4:44 AM
    thatguy0o0

thatguy0o0 trunk monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rapid City SD
    Vehicle:
    White '13 TRD Sport.
    Lol yeah I saw a 300lb green beret, hair was out of regs and he was like a general or something. Jrotc for the loss!!

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    randyp83

randyp83 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    none
    Recruiters don't let kids do that silly. It is their JROTC leadership.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    janelle2388

janelle2388 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma access cab SR5
    3 inch icon lift, dual exhaust, 17 inch pro comp rims, tinted tail lights, black badges, BHLM, T-Rex eye lids, 10" alpine type R sub, alpine deck, alpine amp, K&N CAI, icon UCA's, 2" AAL, 32" led light bar
    i hate to wear my uniform out of work, ill bring civilian cloths with me to work and change there before i walk around any place with them on. don't get me wrong i am very proud to be in the military, but i just don't feel right walking around in ABU's or Blues.

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    i agree for the most part. only 2 times i ever wear my uniform out is if i have something i gotta pick up during the duty day, or after work. about airports im in special operations and we travel alot with civilian airlines. now most of the time we will travel in civilian clothes but every now and then we will have to wear our uniform. so sometimes when your seeing a guy in uniform he could be doing official travel. or is just stopping some where to pick something up on his way home from work. don't get me wrong im not defending those privates i see at the mall on Saturday with PT's on.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Catcrazed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    I'm mean I can pretty much always pick out Military personel when I'm flying even in civies so Idk how much that helps.

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I just retired after 20 years of service 6 days ago. While I agree that wearing ABUs/ACUs, utilities to any bar (or like establishment) is a no-go, I have absolutely no issue with Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen wearing their uniform of the day to make brief stops to and from work. This includes going to lunch off post, base, as local regulations allow. Shopping at the mall, going to sporting events, or any other major crowd-gathered area should always be given a second thought--common sense should dictate if not spelled out in local directives.

Times have changed. The majority of personnel on active duty do not live in barracks, dorms, or in base housing any longer. They live off-post, often many miles away from their duty station. This did not, and was not, the case 30+ years ago. We have 1/3 the number of military installations now in the CONUS; 1/6 OCONUS--hence, far less room availability of on-post quarters. Plus, add in that nearly all military installations have horrible housing conditions immediately off post (aka, ghettos, shit-holes, etc), living close to post/base is largely undesirable. It is not unreasonable to expect a military member to make brief stops, as necessary, during the course of daily life.

However, any uniform, be it utilities, PT, or service dress combination, should always be worn properly without regard to location. Tolerance of uniform violations has been increasingly disturbing to me over the years--I don't care what service you're in. Admittedly, Marines do tend to "check" their own far more frequently than other services in my experience.

What this all boils down to is leadership at every level becoming rudderless, in fact, spineless, over the past several years. Maybe some of you have seen this as well. Leadership, accountability, and integrity are all in short supply (I speak mainly from my USAF career, but I have worked in two joint commands and saw similar deficiencies).

Just my thoughts...

15. Jan 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    05TacoSr5

05TacoSr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I show up a little earlier and change into my uniform at work and change back into civilian clothes when I leave work. I never go to my wife's doctor appointment in uniform either. I did one time only out of my control and I had two people ask how they get a job on Tinker.

16. Jan 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters

In the Army it's not "shouldn't", it's flat out not allowed. We are not allowed in any establishment thatprimarily serves alcohol while in uniform, and are not allowed to consumealcohol in uniform. Official militaryfunctions (military balls, socials, etc..) are the exception. Additional guidance on the wear of uniformsoff post are typically covered by local command policy. I can only speak for the Army but this iswhat AR 670-1 states in regards to drinking in uniform. Until the update- BDU's is replaced by ACU's.

3–3. Occasions forwear

a. Soldiers may wear BDUs on duty when prescribed by the commander. Soldiers may wear BDUsoff post unless prohibited by the commander. They may not wear BDUs for commercial travel, unless authorized by para 1–10c of this regulation. Personnelmay not wear BDUs in establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the establishment sells alcohol and food, soldiers may not wear utility uniforms if their activities in the establishment center on drinking alcohol only.

b. Utility uniforms are not normally considered appropriate for social or official functions off the installation, such as memorial services and funerals. These uniforms are issued as utility, field, training, or combat uniforms and are notintended for wear as all-purpose uniforms when other uniforms are more appropriate.

The recruiters have nothing to do with it- if a high school has a JROTCprogram then they have a retired NCO or officer from that branch (Army JROTC=retired Army member) that runs the program. That's the asshole that allows it-they have criteria they are suppose to follow but if the NCO was a turd and didn'tor doesn't enforce the standards then those JROTC students will be just asjacked up. (As Konaborne stated) What the standards are for any JROTC branchother then the Army, I can't say. At the SROTC programs (college level), we make them follow Army grooming standards andAR 670-1, if they don't want to then they are out of the program and can go kick rocks.

17. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    Regardless of the reg, people should have the common sense not to wear their uniform when partying.

My point was that we shouldn't automatically classify someone as a douchebag because they are at their kid's football game or picking up groceries after work while still in their uniform.

18. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters

Only stating what the Army Reg states and only used your quote in regards to "drinking" in uniform. You were the last to mention it. Local policy governs all other times you wear it off post. If a kid rushes to catch his kids football game and is in uniform and I was his 1SG, in no way would I get on him for that if there was no local policy against it.

I agree with you completely- the only time to make those assumptions are when there is indeed a local policy against it, joe is "hanging out" at the mall with buddies in uniform (all too common), or he is at a bar.

19. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Fred1524

Fred1524 Love me some tacos!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver 4X4 Rugged Trail
    Blacked Out badges,blacked out tail lights, 7% Tint(all around) Wet okole seat covers, A/W TRD floor mats, 10K HID Headlights, 6K HID Foglights, DTRL MOD, LED cluster swap...
    IMO it just looks unprofessional...yes we all have different rules/regs. But when we are among the civilian population, wouldnt you want to look more presentable. Thats just me tho...:D

compare.jpg

20. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    shane100700

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    If only I had the power to change our policy on wearing the dress uniform. That always does look bad. Whenever my cadets do a Color Guard, me or my Soldiers (and yes cadets too) are always in dress uniform. If I want to stay for the game or function, I bring a change of clothes.

Products Discussed in

To Top