Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Combat Uniforms Worn in Civilian/Public Areas - Rant

Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Combat Uniforms Worn in Civilian/Public Areas - Rant

Why the hell am I always seeing Soldiers and Airmen wearing ABU's/ACU's in public places, such as graduations, civilian airports, and football stadiums (as seen multiple times yesterday)? So unsat. Wearing your work uniform makes you look like a fucking slob. Have a little more respect for who you are and what you represent and wear a more appropriate uniform. Service dress uniforms exist for a reason.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
its funny you say that, when i was up in wa. we used to always talk shit about how Soldiers were always out on the town, malls, clubs, etc in their ACU's, I'm not anyone to go on about how great the AF is but I rarely saw anybody that wasnt on lunch or going shopping directly after work in their ABU's
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
jhatheway is on a distinguished road

Army: C co 1-134th Longe Range Surveillance
Name: Josh
jhatheway's Tacoma Gallery
Actually we wear what uniform we are directed to wear. And a lot of times it is acus. Especially at sporting events. It makes a extra security presence.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed this phenomenon last weekend. Dude was wearing his ACU's at a bar at 10pm on a Friday.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
one of my good buddys is Marine, and after the Marine ball he invited me and my wife out to a big country club out here, and surprisingly the all showed in dress uniform, OP is that okay I know directly after the ball but 10pm at a club?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltpilot View Post
Why the hell am I always seeing Soldiers and Airmen wearing ABU's/ACU's in public places, such as graduations, civilian airports, and football stadiums (as seen multiple times yesterday)? So unsat. Wearing your work uniform makes you look like a fucking slob. Have a little more respect for who you are and what you represent and where a more appropriate uniform. Service dress uniforms exist for a reason.
I hear you dude. i love my job and am proud of what i do. but when i get off work the last thing i feel like doing is strolling around town in my uniform.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
I just noticed this phenomenon last weekend. Dude was wearing his ACU's at a bar at 10pm on a Friday.
Not cool in my book! Im ok with them wearing them when they are told to, such as the comment about sporting events. I still disagree, but if thats the uniform they are told to wear, then so be it.

But not at a bar! If you want to pick up chicks in your uniform, wear your service or dress uniforms!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
ACU's ??

ABU's ??

Is that like camo and stuff or what ?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
ACU's ??

ABU's ??

Is that like camo and stuff or what ?
Yep
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
Yep
what do those letters stand for?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
DevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Police officer in MD and Marine in B Co 4th LAR Bn
DevilDogTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I hate this too. There's a reason they're called camouflage "utilities."

and yes, wearing dress blues at a bar at 10pm is perfectly fine. As Marines, we're only authorized to wear dress or service uniforms in public. We can only wear cammies in off-base if it's an emergency....your car breaks down, you go to the hospital, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly why does it matter? Ideas and thinking like that is the reason i have my dd-214 and didn't re-enlist for a ridiculous amount of money. If i needed gas after work stopping to fill up my truck was sure to get my ass chewed if caught. Members who wear their uniforms are proud to represent they are in the military. Luckly, the idea that it is the end of world to be seen in a "work" uniform doesn't exist in those branches, so they do it.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengoTaco View Post
If i needed gas after work stopping to fill up my truck was sure to get my ass chewed if caught.
Even if you were a Marine you are 100% authorized to stop for fuel in your utilities.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
one of my good buddys is Marine, and after the Marine ball he invited me and my wife out to a big country club out here, and surprisingly the all showed in dress uniform, OP is that okay I know directly after the ball but 10pm at a club?
Service uniforms are equivalent to suit, or shirt and tie and authorized for most occasions. Dress uniforms are equivalent to a tux, or 100 panty drops. Dress blues are meant for more formal occasions but it would be acceptable for a country club.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thats not the information we were given. I was on Pendleton from 06-10, our CO and SgtMaj said it wasnt. I believe you, and it makes sense, but everything comes down to unit discretion. The base as a whole supported it, and it even included banks and grocery stores. You could walk from you apartment off base to you vehicle then drive on base. They said, just buy gas on base, but i never put that stuff in my truck.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltpilot View Post
Why the hell am I always seeing Soldiers and Airmen wearing ABU's/ACU's in public places, such as graduations, civilian airports, and football stadiums (as seen multiple times yesterday)? So unsat. Wearing your work uniform makes you look like a fucking slob. Have a little more respect for who you are and what you represent and wear a more appropriate uniform. Service dress uniforms exist for a reason.
Per AFI 36-2903

1.3. Optional Wear of the Air Force Uniform.
1.3.1. During Travel. When traveling in an official capacity on commercial air, in CONUS (to include Alaska and Hawaii), the Service Dress uniform (Class A), Blue uniform (Class B), Airman Battle Uniform (ABU), Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) or Desert Camouflage
Uniform (DCU) may be worn (BDU/DCU phase out 1 Nov 2011), as appropriate. Wear of the flight duty uniform is not authorized.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
what do those letters stand for?
ABU - Airman Battle Uniform

ACU - Army Combat Uniform
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
When my husband was doing his AIT training (that may be a little redundant) in Washington DC, they told him not to wear his ACU's when he went out. Said something about if the public wanted to retaliate against the government, someone wearing ACU's would be a direct target. Similar advice or just uncouth amongst the military?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
jhatheway is on a distinguished road

Army: C co 1-134th Longe Range Surveillance
Name: Josh
jhatheway's Tacoma Gallery
10 pm in the bars in acus is a no go. You can't drink in them so your not suppose to be in a bar with them. Had something like that happen when I saw a brand new basic grad come back to nebraksa. He strolled into the bar I worked at in acus. Lets just say we had a nice chat which ended in him leaving.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
Frankie_G is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Frankie
Frankie_G's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's just laziness and i consider em to probably be big douches trying to get attention. jmo. I live in charleston huge military city with all branches heavily represented. i understand some of the navy nukes have to wear it depending what yr of trainig theyre in but for the rest of the ppl in uni on a sunday at bww come on. oh and then theyre drinking, smoking, walking n talking on cells, hands in pockets (my pet peeve) dude you look like ass to the public. i dont wear mine anywhere. hell i cant anyways but wouldnt if i could. i love my uniform but come time to go home that thing is off and i live my civilian life. plus i dont really like all the thank yous or having to talk about the war and what not. just my rant sorry if i offended anyone.