1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question/Input for ALL military people??

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sbpd50816, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    Sbpd50816

Sbpd50816 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab..Trd Sport..Metallic Grey
    Stock
    Hello everyone, well I need some questions to ask a recruiter. Im going down this week to speak to one of each branch. For the last six years of my life ive been a police officer and I was laid off. Ive tried for a year now applying and interviewing at other departments and no luck this far. I live not far from camp pendelton in Southern California, about an hour away actually. I know its a Marine base there is also one in 29 palms about an hour/half from my house. Im 27 right now and Im getting married April of next year 2012, so id like to stay local if possible. Since I have six years of law enforcement experience as a police officer id like to do that as my MOS in the military. I know recruiters can sell ice to a pollock so any questions I should ask them would be greatly appreciated, and information I should know. Thanks

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    phatdrew

phatdrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    2" lift, 17" pro comp wheels, 285x70x17 micky t's, billet grill
    whatever you do, get everything in writing. what i mean by that is, if they promise you a job as a cop, make sure its in your contract. same goes for any base they may promise.

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    and if you tell them anything (including, and especially medical wise) make sure you have paperwork to back it up.

4. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Bridgeman

Bridgeman TRD burglar

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Opelika, Al
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 Speedway Blue

As a recruiter for the army i can tell you that at this point and time, going in wanting only one job will not help. Its awesome that you have experience as a police officer but military police are hardly popping up for anyone, reguardless of the asvab score. Your best bet is to go in with an open mind. Just because you get one job now, it doesnt mean that you have to stick with that job for the rest of your life. Choose a job with a low enlistment period and then change it when u reenlist. For good job stability it sounds like you need active duty. Im a reserve recruiter but if i see someone that needs help ill try to swing them active. I know for a fact that if you go army, that we can get you a guaranteed job before you swear in at meps. Almost every other branch doesnt have any jobs open right now and they will trick you into an uncommited contract....which means your in that service and may have basic training scheduled but you wont have a definate job. Dont fall for that bs. Dont go in expecting a bonus either bc no one is offering one except the reserves. Active duty bonus is your getting a steady paycheck. So def look into everyone but dont fall for any bs. If you have any questions just let me know

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I wouldn't hang your hopes too hard on staying local.

It MIGHT happen- but everything is about needs of the service...so if someone tells you that you'll go to Camp P or 29Palms or to a specific school or MOS...Get them to write it down and sign it.

You are also past the age cut off for Coast Guard and Air Force, within a year of the cutoff for Marines, and like 7 or 8 from the Navy and Army cut offs. Waivers are possible- but not likely at all.

Sorry to be all Debbie Downer- Good luck-I hope you find what you are looking for....

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    yeah good luck staying local. of my first 6 years in the marine corps besides bootcamp and mct and other schooling i might have been in the us for about 2 years between deployments. also you need to decide if this is something you think you want to devote the next 20 years to. only reason i say that is because your allready 27. i was 22 when i went in and i am getting out right at 9 years and one month. not going to twenty. so i have to start over so to speak at 31 years old. also if your going to get some free schooling why not do something technical. all things to think about. also like mentioned before you sign anything read it and if someone promises you something get it in writting. good luck

7. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    It's not real likely that you'll be in So Cal. And even if you are, there's a lot of training you'll have to do first. Ie, you probably won't be back in time for your wedding if you sign up now. And a decent chance you'll go to Afghanistan or on a ship.

8. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    phatdrew

phatdrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    2" lift, 17" pro comp wheels, 285x70x17 micky t's, billet grill
    AirForce age requirement is 27 so you may get away with enlisting before your 28th birthday. there is a program called dep(delayed enlistment program) that allows you to select a job and wait until an opening is available but considering your age, that may not be an option. like stated above, just go into it with an opened mind and find something that is appealing to you and give it a shot for 4 years. if you dont like it, you can get out or even x-train into something else that is available. i do know that sf in the airforce is a critically manned career field and they are always looking for people.

9. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    tex41

tex41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra cab 4x4 TRD
    Lift, tires, toolbox, Alpine H/U, Borla exhaust. Still looking it over to get specifics.
    I'm not sure what it's like for the other branches, but the Navy is downsizing. They're finding anything and everything to kick people out for and they're doing it quickly. People who've been in for 10-12 years are trying to hold on to a job right now. They're kicking out first termers. I'm not by any means trying to sway your decision, but times are tough (as I'm sure you very well know) and even the military is suffering. I agree with Bridgeman, you may want to go in with an open mind. Right now, for people to keep their jobs, they have to retake the asvab and choose another MOS just to stay in. Just my $0.02. Good luck to you brother :thumbsup:

10. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    Sbpd50816

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Thanks guys for the info, I will forsure get things in writing if its promised or sounds good. Esp locations and MOS. Im gunna go down tomm and speak to a few recruiters Ill post on here after and hopefully get some feed back on what they say.. thanks again - Jeremy

11. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    just food for thought... dont quote me on this but i have heard that pmo for the marine corps is going entirely civlian... i know they have a lot of civis right now maybe you could get on there with your experience.

12. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Find a guard or reserve unit...guaranteed local. And I know folks getting into the military at 35! The age cutoff listed here is for officers..

Also look into contract work overseas. I know its not local but you can make a shit ton of money and only work half the year. They seem to need cop types over there.

13. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Ever thought about being a Private Military Contractor? I did my time in the Army and now I do that. Before anyone says it, we aren't mercenaries. They do offensive. There are contracts out there for that type of work, even doing it for the government but your qualifications wouldn't get you in. What we do is mainly protect people who are visiting locals on a regular basis. Also there is convoy security jobs, law enforcement training jobs (where you train Afghan/Iraqi police) and others.

You could walk on with Dynacorp., Triple Canopy, SOC or Global. Most require 5 years military OR LEO.

Most work 105 days in country/35 days home, include health benefits and some have matching 401k's. Job sites are all the normal shitholes the military would send you.

If you're wanting to go join the military to serve your country and do your part then go for it. I have no regrets for my time in and loved every minute of it. If you're wanting a steady paycheck, PMC is also an alternative.

I know guys here on my detail that were cops that were never in the military so I know you could do it if you wanted to.

Pay is great. Hit me up via PM if you have any questions, I know right now there are companies that are literally 400 guys short due to contract awards. When the government pulls troops from Iraq and Astan, someone has to stick around to protect people when they go visit the locals.

Good luck man.

14. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I am currently stationed on Camp Pendleton and I am an instructor at MCT (Marine Combat Training Battalion). This is where you would go after you finish boot camp. I don't have a lot of older individuals come through, but every class there may be 2 or 3 over the age of 25 that come through. Right now, I have a 29 year old with a master's degree that is going into electronics maintenance. As far as military police, I have probably 4 to 5 military police marines come through so the job is very available.

Coming from 13 years of Marine Corps experience, all of that in the infantry, get a nov that is going to help you out after you get out. At the moment, I can get any job that requires me to kill somebody :D

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    After spending 20 years as a ground pounder in the Army, in retrospect if I could do it all over again I would do this exactly: Air Force X-ray technician You won't get shot at, won't get shot down, won't have to disarm/get blown up by IEDs and you will get out with a very marketable job skill that pays well. You will have plenty of time to take college classes using the 75% tuition assistance while in to get more credentialing to advance your career. Toting guns and being a tough guy while in is fun, but you will be much better off doing some remf job that will benefit you more when you get out. By the way, just curious, do you know any San Clemente firefighters? One of my best bros is one. Good luck and thanks for your service (current and future). Be safe

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able

you will most likely have a difficulty adjusting, you will be surrounded by people, who are mostly 9 years younger than you, and immature. if the fuck up in boot camp, so did you, and trust me, it happens. i was 20 when i joined, and you could tell who was straight out of highschool, and who had been out there trying to fend fro themselves...

it is a good thing though, great experience, with great benefits. i still love the military, been in for 6 years now.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    Sbpd50816

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    First Id like to thank everyone for the responses so far. I went and talked to one Marine recruiter today and one army recruiter. Marine recruiter was short with me and said because of my tattoos I was a no go. Only tattoos I have visible are the Lance Armstrong "LIVESTRONG" bracelet on my right wrist. Which I have planned to get lasered off starting next week cause it turned out crappy. At work any Sgt or admin staff that complained Id just cover it up with my watch. The other thing the marine recruiter said that wasnt "in policy" was on my back I have a star and the point sticks out about a half inch above my tee shirt neck line, on my spine. He said anything above your c7 vertebrate. I told him well all this can be lasered off, my fiance's mom is a plastic surgeon and does it for a living. He said it will still leave scaring and was short with me. I called her after she said she can do it with no scaring. The rest are covered under a tee-shirt and are not offensive in any way, Obviously Ive worked for two different law enforcement agencies now. Next door at the army recruiter office they didn't have any issue with my tattoos. They told me id come in as a E3 cause of my college credits. No promises at all on location or job. You get to pick 3 locations towards end of job training. Job wise they said I'd know whats open after I take my asvab test and physical. Supposedly they have a live feed of whats open online, changes every 4 days. Im gunna check with the airforce tomorrow see what they say. Really bummed about the marine recruiter I might go to another location tomorrow and see what they say. Anyone know if I was getting blown off or what? Guy didnt even give me a chance to speak just looked me up and down asked if I had tattoos, and that was it. Thanks- Jeremy

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Well, to hell with that option. The recruiter sounded like a absolute douche nozzle.

Go down the list. If you can get in the AF quick (before 28) you can get into Security Forces.

No guarantee of placement, but itll get you the job you already do, and we're hard up for cops.

19. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... as Brunes, Bridgeman and others have said:

--- It would be a miracle if you could stay local.

--- Get EVERYTHING in writing from someone authorized to sign.

--- You are not a spring chicken at 27 y/o, but your LEO experience may help you there.

--- if you have a college degree or any college, that may help too.

Good luck & keep us posted on what happens.

20. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    fltacoma

fltacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    daniel
    Shreveport, LA
    Vehicle:
    no truck as of yet :)
    I say get in the AF while you can. The Defense Budget isnt looking too promising for this year, or the next. The AF is ALWAYS looking for Security Forces.

Products Discussed in

To Top