1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice from military officers

Discussion in 'Military' started by Tacoma206, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 12:45 AM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I am graduating from graduate school in June, and I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. My field is criminology and investigation, and I currently work for the federal government as a criminal analyst, but I don't think that is what I want do forever. In fact, I know it is not and I have no idea what I want to do as a career.

So I looked into the Military and I qualify for the Direct Commission Officer programs in intelligence because of my Master's degree and work experience. I am applying to be a Navy Reserves Intelligence Officer (Active duty isn't accepting since the military is downsizing, I want the experience and the training, plus they will allow me to learn a foreign language which will present new opportunities and hopefully dictate a future direction for me).

So here is my question, I am writing a personal statement and I am wondering what topics I need to make sure I talk about. Leadership is an obvious one, but I figured I could get some good advice from you all. Let me know what you think. I appreciate all input.

Edit: The main premise is "why do I want to join the navy and why should the navy accept me"

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    I'm an Officer in the Air Force and all statements I have made have stated how and why I want the position and how I feel I can benefit the Air Force. Without sounding too arogant, explain the benefit you can bring and why you desire to go to that service. Leadership is key of course, but I have put in letters how "I look forward to my success and helping others succeed." This has appeared to be beneficial to me, in fact, we will see once again in February how my requests do against another chapter in the AF. Again, what you can provide, why you want to, why you will do well and maybe throw in how you can help others. I wish you luck, the military was one of the greatest decisions I have made. It's challenging, ever changing, and exciting. Good luck.

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:28 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    As a Naval Officer, I remember writing the exact same statement. I just talked about leadership, serving my country, and professional development.

4. Dec 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Got the PM, and I sent you one back.

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    I was wondering if I should include something about giving back to the country or serving the country. I mention something about making my family proud, but I didn't put anything in there in my draft because I felt like it was too "cheesy". But I have no idea, and that is why I am asking for direction.

6. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I think you understand as a Reserve Officer, you will answer our Nation's call & provide value to your local community when not officially on duty, ie. not drilling or on official orders. A Reservist lifestyle, once your initial Basic Officer education is completed, is different from say an Active Duty Officer. Juggling two careers, possibly a family, immediate family responsibilites, military training is huge. You have to be ready, reliable, and willing to make sacrifices at all levels.

I would definitely include something about your values, for example, integrity, duty, respect, what is important to you & that goes in line with what you are saying about serving your country. I do not think it is cheesy at all, not everybody can juggle the demands of being Active Duty or the demands of being a Reservist.

I was a Signal Officer retired in 07 and finished my career working as a liason officer with the National Guard on many Joint Ops.

Best of Luck to you.

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    badlifeguard

badlifeguard Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sierra Vista (aka Mexican Border)
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Seatbelt Chime!!!
    DIDDO all the above.

I can relate to Simons Mom as being a Reserve Signal Officer.

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Thanks for the input. I think the hardest thing for me to write this is just not knowing what to include. The instructions are so vague that I am trying to figure out what the review committee are looking for. This definitely gives me some insight...

Products Discussed in

To Top