Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Air Force dumped hundreds of remains of dead soldiers from Dover base into landfill

Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
FUCKIN DISPICABLE!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
I would just like to know who in the hell thought they could do this and get away without any ridicule?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
What is incomprehensible is how members of the armed services could do this to their own? How is a human even capable of that? On even a purely selfish level, how could you not think "this could be me"?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #24
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
So we give bin laden a proper burial at sea to be PC and not piss off the Islam extremest any more and take their feelings into condsideration, but we dont care about pissing off the families and friends of those who died trying to kill bin laden and dump their ashes out like old kitty litter? UFB!

The way I understand it though, the family has 2 options in this regard for remains:
1. To be notified if other remains are found to be notified.
2. Not to be notified and those remains desposed of in a respectful manner.

Giving more consideration to bin ladens remains is not respectful in anyway.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #25
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember the guys/gals that did this are also solders war is not pretty ever. There is not a lot to pick up after some one has been blown up. Not saying it was right could have been handled a lot better.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #26
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
What can families not get the remains?!? This is one of the worst things i have ever heard!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #28
SPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant future

Air Force: HQ AMC Port Dawg
Name: Jason
SPENCAF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
What is incomprehensible is how members of the armed services could do this to their own? How is a human even capable of that? On even a purely selfish level, how could you not think "this could be me"?
I am stationed at Dover and know for a fact that 90% of the people involved in this are civilian contracted not military of any branch. The Dover mortuary is a mix of Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force all of which hire civilians. This is what happens when the military is outsourced.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #29
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
This is horrible...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPENCAF View Post
I am stationed at Dover and know for a fact that 90% of the people involved in this are civilian contracted not military of any branch. The Dover mortuary is a mix of Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force all of which hire civilians. This is what happens when the military is outsourced.
Thanks for providing the enlightenment. I did not know that, and it helps minimally reduce my bewilderment with the situation.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty disrespectful, for sure. I honestly don't care where the hell my body ends up once I'm dead since I'll be...well, dead...The worst part of this to me is the scandalous nature in which it was done.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I think those remains should have gone to Arlington. They should have built a special monument to the fallen where the remains could have been interred, and their names written on a perpetual plaque.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #33
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
I can guarantee that nobody knew what they were dumping. At least no one in uniform knew it! This is the most outrageous act I have ever heard of in my life. These military members gave their lives because of the oath they took to defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic and this is the way they are treated. Doesn't matter how they died they should have been placed in a proper location. WAKE UP AMERICA! It is only going to get worse.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
CNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Information Systems Technician / IT2
Name: Camron
CNewell's Tacoma Gallery
Damn... They give the ultimate sacrifice, and get dumped into a landfill? I hate what the military is turning into... Downsizing and civilian contractors... I'm out...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
FUCKIN DISPICABLE!
X2! - any appropriate place, but not a"GARBAGE DUMP". PATHETIC!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #36
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really really sad.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold06trdtaco is a splendid one to behold

06trdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
That is seriously effed up...
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #38
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying this is right, but I understand how it could happen.

Imagine dealing with remains on a day to day basis. Think how that would wear on you. Your brain has to protect itself by adopting a certain amount of detachment.

Think about that scene in "Saving Private Ryan" where the Rangers are going through the huge pile of dog tags, hoping to find the one that means they can quit this mission and go home. And how it looks to the huge line of soldiers slowly walking past.

That being said - someone with accountability should have seen what was happening and set up better practices that respected the remains and their families.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
Things aren't much better at Arlington either...

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/06...dal-62953.html

I know two people who worked as graves registration types and while they did become somewhat calloused to the job none of them allowed any disrespect or careless handling of remains even after the deceased members families had buried the initial remains that were returned to them.

And to add to this whole thing, it's my understanding that many times when a members remains are returned to their loved ones what is returned isn't always their "complete remains" and therefore their loved ones are asked what they would like the DoD to do with any future found remains of their loved lost and I'm told that often the person asking them and making the record may not extrapolate on exactly what they are asking them to decide about which as it would seem in this situation has caught the attention of others who don't feel that brushing through such 'allegedly trivial" matters.

Working in that career track is obviously not glamorous but I honestly believe that from the flag down specific consideration needs to be paid to the professional demeanor and actions of each person involved in the process. It sends very mixed messages to everyone when we still appropriate funds to keeps personnel in Vietnam to locate and identify remains of lost members and then on the other hand see this level of gross behavior.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #40
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
what do you do for a living steve? just curious not trying to flame or anything
yes, what you say is true but it is no excuse
Nothing like that. I'm didn't mean to imply I'm speaking from personal experience.

And I agree it's not an excuse.