Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

First Deployment...Have some questions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoTRDtaco View Post
Good luck on your tour. Will you be in KAF or out to a FOB? I am also a military medic but in the Canadian Military. I've been to KAF in 07/08. You may not feel prepared, but when you have someone dieing in your arms. All nervousness goes out the window. It's like a switch turns on and you go into work mode.

A little advise, remember you can't save everyone. I was always hard on myself when we lost someone. Always thinking what I could have done differently, etc. remember to debrief with your troops and doc after every call. it does make it easier.

Make good friends with some guys. It will make your tour go by so much fater. I hope this helps. PM me if you want any more info or stories lol.

Bring swarm clothes if your going over during the winter months. Believe it or not, it gets FN cold there.

That's about it.
Thanks for the tips on making friends and not being able to save anyone. As much as I hate to think like that its the sad truth and the purpose of Triage. All i know so far is im going to Kandahar thats it ... for Opsec i dont know when or for how long or from where

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Your going to need some type of mp3 player with you.

Invest in a head lamp with red and usually 3 stages of white light, wal mart has energizer lights for 15 bucks... and extra AAA battery's the army doesn't have these from supply!

Books to read or an application on an ipod or something similar with reading material.
Totally didnt even think of a headlamp , I have one from night BAS drills that i might have to bring , already bringing an Ipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Not sure about Army regulations, but isnt some of the stuff in the first post OPSEC? Not trying to flame, just watching your back.
The army rules are pretty lax you just cant specific dates or names of people deploying. The Army times publishes which units are deploying in which month/year so yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin W View Post
Dude if you stay at KAF hit up the British Px and buy some NUTs and ZOO magazines you will be glad you did!!!

OMG i never new about ZOO mag ... You are my hero!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
NONE of this is OPSEC related. This is all common knowledge that 82nd is deploying soon. You can find that out on any news channel around Fayettville.
\\BREAK\\

You should bring a box of ziplock baggies for all your electronics. The sand gets into everything and ruins it. As for the pillow and sheets, IMHO I think you should have someone send you that stuff in a package, as you already have a ton of stuff to carry. My recommendation is that you pack light suck it up for the first month or so, then have your family send you comfy stuff, but def bring your laptop, hard drive, MP3 player, good flip flops for shower shoes, as many cream t-shirts, socks, and underwear as possible, and a good watch. Afcrackistan is pretty built up now, so there is a lot of stuff you can buy at the PX. Also there are things that the unit you are replacing will be trying to sell to you as they won't want to bring it back with them, ex. tv's, dvd players... Keep your head up and your ass down. You will be fine, it is an experience noone will ever be able to take away from you! And thanks for your Service!
Yeah nailed it on Fayetteville broadcasting eerything lol . Thanks for the pointers on electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
you are aboslutely correct. I understand where you are coming from. It is probably because the Army is so large, we are deployed so much, it is pretty much common knowledge what units are deploying and just about when. They even post it in the Army Times
Yup Army Times is a dead giveaway... shoot civilians even know weeks before we do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymgd78 View Post
whats up man! i am a 68WW1 SOCM (Special Operation Combat Medic) SSG/E6 which you being at Bragg should know what that is since our school is there. The best thing i can tell you is spend as much time in the GYM as you can. it will get your mind off of shit and you will take out some agresion that will definetly build up after a couple months of being around the same people. Being deployed is a great opertunity to get in shape take full advantage of it! As far as improving your medical skills did you get to go to a live tissue lab? i think it is requiered for all medics to go through it before you deploy atleast it is for us anyways. but yeah that is great training and hands on. get with your PA or Dr. and have them teach you things take advantage of working right next to medical professionals. they will teach you different proceders and maybe even let you do some of them your self if you show intrest in learning. we just did a FAST1 on my buddy a couple days ago and a jugular iv this morning just to keep our skills up. lots of time to better youself. now at the same time dont get carried away with shit make sure you have permission for the crazy shit like FAST1's and stuff dont want you to get in trouble lol. if you are lucky to be on a FOB or COP with rangers or SF get with there medics they like to teach and have lots of knowledge and experience. i love teaching medics i know you guys get shafted in your AIT and dont learn much. its all about taking a shitty situatioin like a deployment and making yourself better instead of being a miserable little bitch for a year. show the kids in your unit that you have the skills to take care of them if they go down. let them have that confedence in you to save their lives. it really is a great thing to be a medic and a good one at that people especailly in combat respect the hell out of a GOOD medic. stay safe brother and come home in better shape and as a better trained more confident medic. Rangers lead the way!
Being at Bragg i see all you Special Forces people everywhere , im trying to network with local PAs , MEDOs , and flight surgeons right now its its going quite well. We did do a tissue lab but It happened before i PCS'd here . Our AIT does shaft us but we did learn IO procedures to the Sternum but not the leg , other than that its TQs and Combat Gauze .... I guess ill just have to learn from who I can and have confidence in what I do and hope my soldiers have faith in me.

Quote:
Rangers lead the way!
All the Way!!

In our unit we say "Get After It" lol
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
FNG
GIJared is on a distinguished road
Army: Powerpoint Expert/Aviation
GIJared's Tacoma Gallery
Bring half as much stuff as you think you'll need, then take less. Obviously don't skimp on the essentials(socks, underwear), but if you're really busy, you're just gonna have a lot of shit in your room you never use that you have to pack/carry back.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
alot of people have commented on comfort items but you need to make sure your kit is squared away. that may mean getting a new aid bag that is bigger and better organized, new mag pouches, surefire for your m4, new drop leg holster, ect, ect. Remember there is better gear out there.

get oakley eyepro (maybe 2 because you dont have time to change lenses sometimes)
comfy earpro (get a second backup set that has the plastic line attaching em and keep them attached to your k-pot so you can take em out fast and not lose em)
GOOD gloves
and good boots!!! cant stress this enough!!! I like the 5.11 HRT series,nice and light. Oakly is good too.
i would recomend looking into getting some FR underarmour or some other brands of FR clothing. (FR boxers/shirt saved my ass)

get someone to stand by and mail all the comfort stuff to you when you get a APO address. You will live and die by the quality of your gear, even worse others will to.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin W View Post
Dude if you stay at KAF hit up the British Px and buy some NUTs and ZOO magazines you will be glad you did!!!
if your gunna stay at KAF just blast your self in the face now. ive been here for a few weeks waiting to go home. and id rather be at my site where there's no running water or food besides MRE's and Halals.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
KAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
KAWAIANIANI's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for your service, be safe and make the best of it. As a former vet from storm, despite what is going on I meet the greatest people, had some of the best experiences and been places that I never though in my wildest dreams I would go to. You are begining a great/honorable journey in your life.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
FNG
GIJared is on a distinguished road
Army: Powerpoint Expert/Aviation
GIJared's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross123 View Post
if your gunna stay at KAF just blast your self in the face now. ive been here for a few weeks waiting to go home. and id rather be at my site where there's no running water or food besides MRE's and Halals.
Try 11 months in this shithole. Frankly, its a miracle I haven't blasted myself in the face. 3 more weeks...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
you must be one of the many 101 dudes running around here. yeah i know you guys are leaving the same time we are.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #28
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
Im deploying soon. What can I bring with me to make my deployment not suck as much or what can I bring to help me in my job field? I know some of you out there have more experience/deployments than I do so any input would be much appreciated.

Here are somethings im bringing
1)Laptop
2)External HD w/ movies & shows
3) Leatherman and Rescue Knife

p.s I already have SGLI and Autopay before thats is brought up
Make doubly sure your Will is updated. I work in the Personal Property and I've seen enough family feuds at delivery because the Will wasn't updated.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
Pelican cases for cameras and such.
X2 on what he said.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
If you want some awesome gloves in your life get these!
http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhaw...ar-gloves.html

Mine have lasted a 12month deployment in Iraq and 2 years in garrison field training.

You should ask and see if your unit will allow you to wear Merrell hiking boots.
http://www.basspro.com/Merrell-reg-M...10221255/91326

If not I highly suggest the Oakley boots there fantastic.
I like this for my magazines http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Stacker...=2KOLCS2GUDDQW

Get this for your i pod!!! http://www.amazon.com/PELICAN-1015-0...=2KOLCS2GUDDQW
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #31
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
good luck and God Bless...The govt should supply you guys with some of those little extras, I'm tired of all the bloated wages the fat cats in washington get while the men and women who do all the nasty work get crapped on.

Products Discussed in this Thread