Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

First Deployment...Have some questions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
First Deployment...Have some questions

Im deploying soon. What can I bring with me to make my deployment not suck as much or what can I bring to help me in my job field? I know some of you out there have more experience/deployments than I do so any input would be much appreciated.

Here are somethings im bringing
1)Laptop
2)External HD w/ movies & shows
3) Leatherman and Rescue Knife

p.s I already have SGLI and Autopay before thats is brought up
Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
neophyte
John BIG will become famous soon enoughJohn BIG will become famous soon enough
Name: mann
John BIG's Tacoma Gallery
Bring a BIBLE with you....
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
toyoTRDtaco is on a distinguished road

EMS: Medic
toyoTRDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck on your tour. Will you be in KAF or out to a FOB? I am also a military medic but in the Canadian Military. I've been to KAF in 07/08. You may not feel prepared, but when you have someone dieing in your arms. All nervousness goes out the window. It's like a switch turns on and you go into work mode.

A little advise, remember you can't save everyone. I was always hard on myself when we lost someone. Always thinking what I could have done differently, etc. remember to debrief with your troops and doc after every call. it does make it easier.

Make good friends with some guys. It will make your tour go by so much fater. I hope this helps. PM me if you want any more info or stories lol.

Bring swarm clothes if your going over during the winter months. Believe it or not, it gets FN cold there.

That's about it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Your going to need some type of mp3 player with you.

Invest in a head lamp with red and usually 3 stages of white light, wal mart has energizer lights for 15 bucks... and extra AAA battery's the army doesn't have these from supply!

Books to read or an application on an ipod or something similar with reading material.

Bring a few European outlet adapters with you its not going to be standard American 3 prong plugs.

Other odd items i suggest electric shaver and disposable razors, extra hygiene stuff tooth brushes... tooth paste... shaving cream. Other things that never hurt are 550 cord, duct tape, a small mirror for shaving. And something to repel sand fleas... and if your going to a remote op like me, bring laundry detergent to hand wash your clothes.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
toyoTRDtaco is on a distinguished road

EMS: Medic
toyoTRDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Would be in our military lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bring a pillow

We had mattresses in camp bastion, so bring a twin sheet.

Good flip flops, the 99 cent ones last about 2 days.

Couple good books,

Camera
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Invest in a head lamp with red and usually 3 stages of white light, wal mart has energizer lights for 15 bucks... and extra AAA battery's the army doesn't have these from supply!
I really have nothing to add other than a good luck, thank you, a wish I could doing the same, and the little 15 dollar head lamp that I think he is referring to is awesome I have one and love it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Rocknroll is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Rocknroll's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget some music. Check out http://www.queensryche.com/american-soldier/

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Extra PT gear to wear off duty.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Not sure about Army regulations, but isnt some of the stuff in the first post OPSEC? Not trying to flame, just watching your back.
Yea I agree some of this is OPSEC by Air Force reg, im not out to bash just cover your back.....as far as the depoloyment take some things to read, Guns and Ammo Car and Driver what ever you like. and be safe...
Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Saying where he is going isn't Nec opsec he didn't say when he was leaving or where from so I think he should be fine
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Justin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Squad Leader D co 52nd Infantry (AT) "Hellcats"
Name: Justin
Justin W's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin W
Dude if you stay at KAF hit up the British Px and buy some NUTs and ZOO magazines you will be glad you did!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaG26 View Post
Yea I agree some of this is OPSEC by Air Force reg, im not out to bash just cover your back.....as far as the depoloyment take some things to read, Guns and Ammo Car and Driver what ever you like. and be safe...
Quote:
Not sure about Army regulations, but isnt some of the stuff in the first post OPSEC? Not trying to flame, just watching your back.

NONE of this is OPSEC related. This is all common knowledge that 82nd is deploying soon. You can find that out on any news channel around Fayettville. He did not give a date, 5 weeks is broad enough to say, and what makes you think that he is honest about the whole 5 week thing anyway? OP you are good to go with this post.

\\BREAK\\

You should bring a box of ziplock baggies for all your electronics. The sand gets into everything and ruins it. As for the pillow and sheets, IMHO I think you should have someone send you that stuff in a package, as you already have a ton of stuff to carry. My recommendation is that you pack light suck it up for the first month or so, then have your family send you comfy stuff, but def bring your laptop, hard drive, MP3 player, good flip flops for shower shoes, as many cream t-shirts, socks, and underwear as possible, and a good watch. Afcrackistan is pretty built up now, so there is a lot of stuff you can buy at the PX. Also there are things that the unit you are replacing will be trying to sell to you as they won't want to bring it back with them, ex. tv's, dvd players... Keep your head up and your ass down. You will be fine, it is an experience noone will ever be able to take away from you! And thanks for your Service!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #16
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
NONE of this is OPSEC related. This is all common knowledge that 82nd is deploying soon. You can find that out on any news channel around Fayettville. He did not give a date, 5 weeks is broad enough to say, and what makes you think that he is honest about the whole 5 week thing anyway? OP you are good to go with this post.
Cool. I thought the Army was more lax with things like this, I just didn't know how much. For my unit it is unauthorized to reference being attached to a particular unit or dates of movements(even giving a 5 week window). Like I said before, I wasn't trying to flame. I just want to make sure brothers in arms stay safe from the management and the enemy.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #17
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Pelican cases for cameras and such.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #18
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool. I thought the Army was more lax with things like this, I just didn't know how much. For my unit it is unauthorized to reference being attached to a particular unit or dates of movements(even giving a 5 week window). Like I said before, I wasn't trying to flame. I just want to make sure brothers in arms stay safe from the management and the enemy.

you are aboslutely correct. I understand where you are coming from. It is probably because the Army is so large, we are deployed so much, it is pretty much common knowledge what units are deploying and just about when. They even post it in the Army Times
Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin W View Post
Dude if you stay at KAF hit up the British Px and buy some NUTs and ZOO magazines you will be glad you did!!!
Same thing next door to me at Bastion Air Field

I recommend also bringing photos of family and friends so can remember what you're deployed for.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Joeymgd78 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Joey
Joeymgd78's Tacoma Gallery
whats up man! i am a 68WW1 SOCM (Special Operation Combat Medic) SSG/E6 which you being at Bragg should know what that is since our school is there. The best thing i can tell you is spend as much time in the GYM as you can. it will get your mind off of shit and you will take out some agresion that will definetly build up after a couple months of being around the same people. Being deployed is a great opertunity to get in shape take full advantage of it! As far as improving your medical skills did you get to go to a live tissue lab? i think it is requiered for all medics to go through it before you deploy atleast it is for us anyways. but yeah that is great training and hands on. get with your PA or Dr. and have them teach you things take advantage of working right next to medical professionals. they will teach you different proceders and maybe even let you do some of them your self if you show intrest in learning. we just did a FAST1 on my buddy a couple days ago and a jugular iv this morning just to keep our skills up. lots of time to better youself. now at the same time dont get carried away with shit make sure you have permission for the crazy shit like FAST1's and stuff dont want you to get in trouble lol. if you are lucky to be on a FOB or COP with rangers or SF get with there medics they like to teach and have lots of knowledge and experience. i love teaching medics i know you guys get shafted in your AIT and dont learn much. its all about taking a shitty situatioin like a deployment and making yourself better instead of being a miserable little bitch for a year. show the kids in your unit that you have the skills to take care of them if they go down. let them have that confedence in you to save their lives. it really is a great thing to be a medic and a good one at that people especailly in combat respect the hell out of a GOOD medic. stay safe brother and come home in better shape and as a better trained more confident medic. Rangers lead the way!

Products Discussed in this Thread