1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If I get My Private Pilots License

Discussion in 'Military' started by tacomathunder, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD DC Sport
    I don't know much about it but the Coast Guard has pilots. Also, the Coast Guard Academy is competetive vs congressional appointment. (At least that was the way it was years ago.) (Someone please correct me if I am incorrect.)

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Nothing to add to the young lads, but I have some info for you. I'm an Auditor of the US Dept of Interior now, but before that I was a Staff Acc for the US Dept of Agriculture. AG runs they payroll for DHS and I had the opportunity of meeting an Annapolis grad who quit his commission as an 04, something he achieved in 8 yrs. A go getter, period. In any event, he was able to go to work for U.S. Customs as a VERY WELL PAID Seahawk pilot. This guys could've made Admiral, but his love of flying forced him to quit his commission. Sure he didn't get his pension, but when you transition from military to fed govt, your time served in uniform counts towards your retirement and in this gents case, his time @ Annapolis also.

Something to consider, I guess.

3. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    You need to get up to speed on some things. First off, all Air National Guard members seeking a commission attend OTS. They do NOT have a direct commissioning source that is unique to the Air Guard. As for the "rarity" of getting a pilot slot with the Air Guard, again, not true. Most Guard units get 1 or 2 slots per fiscal year, sometimes more. Is it difficult, yes. It is a lot more competitive than the Academy route or ROTC. Air Guard units hire pilots after extensive interviews and only after getting to know the individual. Many times, they will only hire from within the unit. Another, and in my opinion, great benefit of joining an Air Guard or Reserve unit is you know what airplane you will get. Example, if you get hired by the 192FW of the Virginia Air National Guard, you will attend UPT and are guaranteed to fly the F-22. (If you meet the standards to progress through training). The AD cannot guarantee your airframe. When MWS drop, there may not be a single fighter in the mix..or might be mostly fighters and you want to fly C-17's. You may get selected to fly helicopters. The Guard and Reserve can be a better choice for many wannabe's.

Johnanm..

You did not make it clear you were a pilot. What airplane do you fly? What was your commissioning source?

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My 2 cents- It's not worth paying to get it. If you know a CFI who is going to hook you up with lessons because they feel like a good person- Cool. But you can do many other things with the amount of money and time you would spend to get a PPL.

Spend the time studying for school, drinking beer, working out..Whatever gets you off...You'll spend PLENTY of time at Primary/UPT to learn about flying to way the military wants you to. And they have taught folks with engineering degrees to fly the same way the teach folks with forestry degrees to fly...If you have the drive to succeed-They'll work on the skils.

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    Rare compared to ROTC and Academy with ~520 slots per FY, respectively. Rare in the sense that you do in fact have to stand out much more from your peers to fly for the Guard. But it does afford opportunities for those who waited a little longer in life to figure out they wanted to fly.

Not sure why you'd put down Guard/Reserve folks, they are a tremendous asset and a compliment to the AD force.

PMed

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    Met a guy one time finishing up UPT, he was a Pottery major. :eek:

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,

I have a good friend that graduated from UNT (University of N. TX) with a criminology major, class of 2001. Got comissioned in May 01. Has been an AF pilot his entire career, flying KC 135's.

His college gpa? 1.70

His wife's GPA? (she commisioned one year later, also out of UNT, she was not selected for pilot training) 3.85

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    the thing that makes me nervous about getting a spot too is all the budget cuts in the military, it seems to be getting harder and harder just to be able to get into the military these days

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

Now that is fact. Quoted for thruthfulness.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is absolutely true...Most of the services are cutting back on accessions on whole and becoming more selective in the high specialty jobs (like flying,JAG,etc).

I don't have the most recent round of numbers- but there are specialties that don't have ANY slots of new trainees until 2014 because they have contracted all the folks they require to meet mission for training and fleet replacement until then.

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    BadgerCO4x4

BadgerCO4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Rear leaf TSB, extra D-rings in bed
    Alright, I'll weigh in from a Navy perspective.

Like it's been said before, you can spend your time doing other things that will make you a more attractive candidate without spending a ton of money.

Definitely focus on doing as well in school as possible, and make sure that you're getting in good, consistent PT. If you've got some extra time at the end of the day, volunteer or join a club (and try to be a leader, not just a follower) or something that you really enjoy that will also look good on a resume.

Try to narrow down which service sounds best to you and learn as much as you can about their process of selection, then work it. As you get closer, there are study guides out there that will help you prepare for each services aptitude test. The biggest thing there is you can get an idea of what types of questions to expect so you're not walking in blind. Might help you stress less and perform better.

From where I'm sitting, the Navy and Air Force are harder spots to get these days with the draw downs and cuts going on. The Army probably has the biggest need, and with the WOFT Program, there's a nice pipeline in place for pilots.

On another note, the Navy has a program called the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP) which might be a good option for you since your school doesn't have ROTC. I'll leave that for you to research. airwarriors.com is a good resource for all questions Naval Aviation. I'd recommend being a lurker mainly, as many of the regular posters (and trollers) are the same people that could end up being your Instructor at some point. It's surprisingly easy to figure out who is who, and I've seen a lot of young guys put their foot in their mouth.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    For tacogunner-

ROTC - Program at most universities that allows you to train to earn an officer's commission while also earning your undergraduate degree. Training consists of about 5-6 hours a week in physical education, military education and training, and personal leadership development. Easy to have a typical college experience doing ROTC. This is what I chose.

(from his earlier posts)

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Oh good lord- PLEASE OP- BE CAREFUL at AirWarriors. They have good info and are for the most part wicked smart- But look A LOT and talk A LITTLE over there until you are very sure.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    I am an Army Recruiter. If you get your lic, it will help TREMENDOUSLY toget picked up for a helicopter pilot in the Army. As long as you meet all theother requirements, you are almost a shoe in :thumbsup:

16. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I think it has been mentioned here...but look into the Coast Guard. Great mission, cool equipment and some nice ass locations. To the man (or woman), everyone I know that flies/flew for the CG loves/loved it. We just had a guy leave the company I work for to fly CG helos out of Hawaii! He was a UH-60 driver in the AD Army...he is stoked. Added bonus, he is a surfing nut.

Also, keep in mind if you choose the AF route..you could end up being a UAV driver. Something to think about.

Oat..yeah, glanced right over that the first time around.

17. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    BadgerCO4x4

BadgerCO4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Rear leaf TSB, extra D-rings in bed
    Thanks for chiming in with that Brunes :D Hopefully he heard it coming from two people!

18. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods

Very true....but the CG is very difficult to get into. Although, as a pilot it is a bit different. Keep in mind, all branches are downsizing and it is about to be harder than it has been in a while to get into any branch to do anything....:rolleyes:

19. Jan 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That UAV thing can happen almost anywhere- Even we e have a small UAV program in the Coast Guard.

Yeah...For his sake- I effing hope so. Folks here think there are alot of assholes...LOL.

20. Jan 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    Anyone know the age restrictions on CG OCS/pilot program?

I know for AF, you had to be enrolled in UPT by age 28. Is it the same with the Coast Guard?

Products Discussed in

To Top