1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If I get My Private Pilots License

Discussion in 'Military' started by tacomathunder, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Is that the recruiter in you talking? :p lol jk but is it really a big help to have my ppl, and become an army heli pilot

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    Actually yes it is a huge help. You can become a heli pilot in the Army out of high school (high school to flight school). But it is extremely competitive. The people who have an aviation back ground always do well. The Army doesn't want to spend a ton of money on someone unless they know they have a great chance to complete the school. People with an aviation back ground already have at least a basic understanding of avionics. No this is not the recruiter coming out in me. Just trying to help you out. The Army is in a huge need for pilots though.

3. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Nothing wrong with that... :cool: LOL Been doing that for 8 years now... :D

Army and USMC still use Enlisted operators to drive their UAS, so in those branches a flying officer / warrant wouldn't be tapped for UAS flying duties.

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I completely agree with allowing enlisted to fly UAV's. Makes complete sense. Problem with the USAF is that UAV are the future whether we want to admit it or not, so the pilot corps will get a grip on it and protect it. They will protect it because of the careerism of some of the Air Force elite. Wouldn't want some enlisted stink on it...

As for someone attending UPT and getting a UAV, that would be a crusher since I would expect most are not going in thinking they will be driving an RC airplane from Vegas. I know some guys that were Viper drivers when their units got BRAC'ed..went to Preds. Not a happy bunch.

5. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I would consider going back to the Army if they would guarantee me an Apache!! I worked on them 86-87...yeah, that old.

6. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    You would be surprised at how many vets come in my office and seriously say they would join again if the Army would let them...

7. Feb 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Smokey

Smokey New Member

Member:
    I might be able to weigh in a little bit from the Naval perspective (15yr strike fighter guy). I second the advice here to do some lurking on Airwarriors.com. You should find a wealth of information there. I also agree that opening your mouth without doing your homework is a really bad idea anywhere near Naval Aviation and that crowd is not afraid to crush you if you do...or if you even dare to write a post with poor grammar or improper spelling. It is a culture that helps people that help themselves and everyone else gets uninvited. It looks like your path to becoming a commissioned officer from here would be OCS with the Navy, unless you were to enlist and explore the possibilities from there (but I wouldn't recommend that). There are also guaranteed flying contracts that you might want to look into with an officer recruiter, be it Navy or Marine Corps. I think Air Force flight training is easier, but harder to get into than the Navy just like Navy/Marine flight training is more difficult, but easier to get into. But who knows, you might join the AF only to go through primary training with the Navy! You'd get whipped into shape one way or another.

Unlike when I joined, all the services today encourage applicants to get some private flying time if possible. It's more to adjust your ideas about flying, make sure it's something you might like to do, and give you an intro to the kinds of things you will learn about. However, civilian flight training itself is NOTHING like military flight training. For flight school, I know guys with zero previous flight time who rocked the program and guys will 1100 commercial hours who struggled and vice versa. It doesn’t matter. Everyone will be equalized at some point. Flight school is all about learning curve and dedication. Anyone can be taught how to fly, but not everyone can be taught within a given time period. The fastest learners excel. As for what you fly, the needs of the service are first and the control that you have over your grades in flight school has a lot to do with your personality. Tactical jets in any service is definitely an adult version of the cool kids club so it may or may not be for you. It is much the same in the Air Force. Your other flying options in the Navy are maritime patrol (P-3's >> incoming P-8), helicopters, E-6, and E-2/C-2 pipelines which are nothing to shake a stick at. Even if they don't sound like it sometimes, the personalities that gravitate toward the gray jet jobs are the type A, never-say-die, over-achieving, athletic intellectuals and anything less normally gets exposed and shown the door. It can be excruciatingly brutal or the most unbelievable experience of your life. You can still do it and I wouldn't let any of this intimidate you, but you will meet the kinds of people who are so talented and intelligent that they could have done anything with their lives, yet they chose to get their rocks off flying at the speed of heat and dropping bombs rather than spending their time doing something less memorable.

8. Feb 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    hats009

hats009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TACOMA TRD
    I took PPL lessons for a couple of months, but it is just so damned expensive and does not seem practical in the big picture - after you attain your PPL you still have to get different ratings; if you want to fly through clouds, if you want to fly bigger planes..
    I agree with the person that suggested finding a CFI that feels like a stand up person and will comp you lessons. Renting the plane alone is a lot of money. Though, I do NOT feel like CFI's get paid enough.. the saying is, it only takes two things to fly - Money and airspeed.
    I'd learn after you join the military; it really depends on your personal goals. If you want to fly just to fly and travel, then DO go through with your PPL.
    I don't know if that helps. I'm just bitter I don't get to fly as much as I would like to. Expenses are a bitch, not to bitch or anything. :p

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Awesome input, and GREAT 2nd post... your input has really showed me that maybe the Navy is a good option to look at... I have always shy'd away from the Navy, being scared of landing on ships lol....but as a helicopter pilot, i would be living a dream I've had since I was about 6 years old after visiting Fort Rucker, AL

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Smokey

Smokey New Member

Member:
    Best of luck. Contrary to popular perception, well over half of Naval Aviation is helos. If you want to know more about helos just PM me. There will be downsides and upsides to every option, but every option that involves flying in the military will be unforgettable and worth every bit of effort on your part.

11. Feb 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... my PPL helped me get into rotary wing school ... but that was back in the days of RVN when helicopter pilots were in high demand.

Products Discussed in

To Top