1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SFAS

Discussion in 'Military' started by Scamilton, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Scamilton

Scamilton [OP] Nerf Herder

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB Blazin' Blue Pearl
    BAMF recessed grille, tailgate inserts, Rokblokz mud flaps, Windows tinted, matte black vinyl on rocker panels, badge removal, Fox front 2.5 with resi, Fox 2.0 with resi rear, LR UCAs, matte bronze FN Pro wheels, 285 70 r17 duratracs, RCI Offroad sliders with fill plates, rigid ditch lights, Sherpa Grand Tetonroof rack, RCI bed rack... Soon: full armor, roof top tent...
    I am currently getting my packet together, and doing all the tests required for me to go to selection. I know there are a lot of members in the Army here, and I can only assume a few have been to selection or may even be operators.

I've been training my ass off, reading any literature I can find, soon to be working on my land nav with a pilot in my unit, and rucking when my company allows me to leave early to prep. The only first hand person I can talk to is the recruiter I am going through on post, but he is usually pretty busy and it never hurts to speak to as many people as possible to get as many angles / points of view as you can.

I'm not looking for a way to cheat my way through by learning their scoring system or what events are currently being done in what order at selection. Just any advice anyone could give me, be it first hand or second hand through a buddy who went through.

I am looking to go sometime in April, but I can't select a date until I am done with the DLAB (thursday 12JAN), TABE (18JAN), and my physical (part 1 tomorrow). Plus, I need an updated PT test.

2. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    i went to SFAS in FEB 07, so its not the same now as it was when i went. they have a whole new system of scoring events im not really sure how it works so i wont even try and guess. but dont over train, you dont wanna hurt yourself before you even get there. before i went i rucked every Saturday. and did PT 3 days a week on my own. all i did was a run one day. then pushup,s pull ups, and sit ups another day. and the 3rd day id give my self a PT test. i trained for about 2 months before i went. and everything worked out fine. but getting hurt is a big thing so thats the number one thing i can think of. don't over train. i think they gave us quick land nav class but i might be confusing that with SUT not sure. so know land nav before you go just in case. april should be a good time to go. shouldent be to hot yet. but alright man good luck. if you got any other questions i can try and answer them. but like i said SFAS and the Q have changed since ive been there.

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    BAMF recessed grille, tailgate inserts, Rokblokz mud flaps, Windows tinted, matte black vinyl on rocker panels, badge removal, Fox front 2.5 with resi, Fox 2.0 with resi rear, LR UCAs, matte bronze FN Pro wheels, 285 70 r17 duratracs, RCI Offroad sliders with fill plates, rigid ditch lights, Sherpa Grand Tetonroof rack, RCI bed rack... Soon: full armor, roof top tent...
    Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to overdo it. Looking to probably take two weeks of leave pretty close to the time I leave so I can have one week of working out hard, and another week of easy workouts to rest my body before I go. As far as I have been told they do a quick class on land nav during in processing, and I'm about to be doing PT in the mornings with the other candidates instead of my company. Hoping they go over it during that time as well (0600 - 0800 PT w SF recruiter).

I feel really confident in myself, mentally, physically and emotionally. I'm trying to not be too over confident but anytime I talk about it, I put it in the manner that I will be selected and push all doubts of failure from my mind. Never wanted to achieve anything else as much as this. Now that my wife is fully supportive I know the only thing to stop me would be my quitting. Or shitting the bed on the DLAB tomorrow! That damn thing is kind of freaking me out now that it is right upon me.

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    ross123

Member:
    fort bragg
    dont worry about the DLAB i bombed that test. and now i speak french and Pushtu. but good luck i hope it all works out for you. deciding to go SF was the best decision i ever made.

5. Jan 14, 2012 at 4:02 AM
    Infantry11b

Infantry11b Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Bone Stock
    How did the DLAB go man? I have been thinking about taking the leap and trying SFAS as well. It'll be after this next deployment before I have the chance though. I have 2 buddies who went through and were selected. They stressed that the biggest thing to get through your head is not focusing on what is coming next but the task at hand. Also that you are ALWAYS been assessed, there's always someone watching.

Go to www.professionalsoldiers.com and surf the info. There's a lot of good stuff there. Just tread lightly and read the sticky's before posting. They don't have a lot of patience there and most questions have been answered so a search can turn up info. Good luck brother!

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    abn2060

abn2060 Infidel

Member:
    N Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma OR 4x4
    Stock
    I've been in a SF unit for ~12 years but I am on the support side. I have seen a lot of guys come and go so make sure it is really what you want to do. A lot of the aspects of the job is sexy but a lot of it is not. Talk to as many operators as you can before you take that big step.

7. Jan 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I ended up getting a 116 on the DLAB. I think the fact that it is a test you can't study for and have no way of anticipating what you're going to encounter really stressed me the most. Not to mention how clueless I was as to how well I did during and after the test. Pretty nerve racking not knowing how to assess how well you are or are not doing, but I can assume that is how SFAS is going to be as well. I'm pretty happy with the score though, qualifies me for all languages.

I'll definitely be going to the website mentioned. Being at Ft Riley there is pretty much no one for me to talk to about the daily job cycle of being in an ODA. All I have left is one final piece of my physical, and the TABE test this coming week, but that one isn't a deal breaker as far as I know.

8. Jan 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for leading me to that site. A wealth of knowledge on there in regards to preparing myself. Not to mention all the history and personal experiences of those who have served in SF since the 60s and onward. I have a date set now, and just keeping myself focused on the goal that lies ahead.

9. Jan 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Studder

Studder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    NY
    truck cap eyelids and halo lights
    I went to SFAS back in 09'. All I can say is ruck...ruck untill you can't ruck anymore than add 10 more lbs and charlie mike! I never made it(broken ankle) then i deployed now I'm medically retiring(TBI and such from afghanistan) but givin the chance if i was well enough I sure as hell would go back and try again

10. Jan 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Ranger that. I've been rucking every Saturday. Starting with smaller distances (4 - 5 miles) and focusing on keeping a 13 min/mile pace. My ruck is already about 40 - 50 pounds and all the SF guys have told me not to train any heavier and risk injury. I figured starting with a heavy weight and slowly adding more time / distance while maintaining a pace would work best for me. Get me used to keeping that pace in all sorts of different landscapes. I wish I had a big area to ruck with sand around here though. I hear there is a shitload of sand at McKall.

Hope everything goes well with your retirement. TBI is one of the biggest issues we face with injuries now; aside from hemorrhaging from limbs.

11. Jan 24, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Studder

Studder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    NY
    truck cap eyelids and halo lights
    Thanks. Its going good the docs treat me well lol. Good luck to you too!

12. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Check out www.rosstraining.com. I was an 18X and went through winter selection back in 03. Became an 18C and got to my team in Oct 04. I'd recommend what others have said, just do enough to stay in shape. Keep your feet hard, if there is one thing I'd recommend is rough them up as much as possible. That's the killer, the blisters and foot pain. Just remember, if the guy to the left and right of you hasn't quit, why should you? If they do, keep going and find someone else. Anyone can do it, it's all mental.

13. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    selected class of 07-12

18D - Russian

Thanks for the advice to hit up professionalsoldiers.com. There was a wealth of information on there that helped me out, and even more going forward.

14. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    ross123

Member:
    fort bragg
    good job man. it doesn't get any easier stay in shape and focused.

15. May 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    SOCM sure has been a kick in the dick. Almost done with it. Happy to be learning all this MOS oriented stuff but I'm ready to get rolling with everything else.

16. May 13, 2013 at 5:07 AM
    ross123

Member:
    fort bragg
    When you going to SUT?

17. May 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    COTacoma13

COTacoma13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rocky Mountains
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD OF Black
    Are you heading to 10th?

18. May 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Still have a year and a half or so in the course. Won't find out for sure what group for a good while. A lot of the Russian speakers have been going to 3rd and 5th group lately. I hope that changes by the time I graduate though. Really wanna go to 10th.

Not for sure when I am going to SUT. There is a bottle neck in SOCM right now and we're hearing some of us may be getting admin rolled. If that doesn't happen then it should be around Nov - Dec time frame for SUT.

19. May 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    make sure all your packs are weighed correctly, i had a good friend go and he took something like a radio or locator out of his bag on the last march so he crossed 2lbs light and they failed him. kind of embarrassing.

20. May 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Scamilton

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yeah... better to go at least 5-10 lbs heavy then risk it. Plus, all the sweat adds weight too.

Products Discussed in

To Top