1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A cross in Camp Horno(Camp Pendleton) endorses Christianity? I call BS..

Discussion in 'Military' started by JoeTacoma02, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I was at the gym this morning after work and I saw on CNN that they were talking about Camp Pendleton, CA. For those of you who are familiar with the base they were talking about the Camp Horno cross. I didn't get to see the full news about it but from what I was able to get from it is an atheist group is demanding the Marine Corps base take the cross down because it endorses Christianity? Total complete BS! I was there in Camp Horno from 2007 - 2010 and you can barely see the cross unless you point it out. That cross is WWWAAAYY up there and it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to get up there. Few of you know what I am talking about if you've ever been up there. I've done a couple platoon runs up there along with company humps. It's not a walk in the park. They don't know what that cross represents. What it means to us fellow Marines.

Back in late 2007 the cross got burnt down due to the fire season and later was rebuilt by Marines and Sailors carrying (2) huge logs up there(article says 2008 but they are wrong..I was part of RCT-1 and was there when it got put back up).

I am not Christian and every time I go up to the cross or see it, it does not bother me at all. Why do scum bags try to stick their nose in somewhere that doesn't belong?

Feel free to discuss and if this thread does blow up(I doubt it will) please let's try not to get it locked up. It just hit a spot in me when I saw the news at the gym and felt I had to post. Sorry if it's a re-post.

Video of RCT-1 putting it back up. I see some familiar faces :)

EDIT Feel free to throw in your .02 even if you didn't serve. Open discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg00waPvl8c

Link to the article I found doing a google search

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/m...cle_6af4e31a-efec-5ea1-b9dc-f9d25c033dd8.html

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    It's long been my observation that the type of Athiests who bitch about this type of thing publicly are shallow, miserable people, with a hole in them. The only way they can fill that hole (to them) is to make everyone else as miserable as they are. Jason Torpy can bite my ass...that site is a memorial to fallen Marines. Let it stand and continue to honor those on Eternal Patrol.

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    The atheist groups can eat a dick on this one. I'm 90% sure Gen. Amos will tell them to go fuck themselves.

4. Jan 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    JoeTacoma02

Member:
    Well said my friend. Not only Marines but many Navy Corpsman as well.

Lol you are right about that one. I can't believe they will pick a cross that is barely visible to the human eye unless pointed out. You can't even see that cross on the other side of the mountain, which is I-5.

5. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    SlickTaco

SlickTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Scranton, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Debadged
    Pro comp 3" lift, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Surco Roof rack
    Thanks for posting that dude, I hadn't heard of the cross before it had burned or this story either.

I was stationed in Horno from 91-95, 1st platoon A co BLT 1/4. So I'm guessing the cross is at the top of Recon Ridge, or at the top of Iron Mike? What an awesome sight the cross must be after you sprint up either of those routes and realize what it stands for, all the blood sweat and tears that was shed for it

"For those who lived the good life,
    Fought the good fight,
    and made the ultimate sacrifice"

Phantom Fury

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    JoeTacoma02

Member:
    No problem :) I'd like to say it's on Recon Ridge as Iron Mike is towards the Las Pulgas side. The cross is between Camp Horno and SOI/MCT unless Iron Mike loops all the way over there. I doubt they will be taking it down and I'm sure some of those "atheist" folks were fomer Marine/Sailor that thinks it's a good idea to attack the cross and have it taken down for their pleasure.

Products Discussed in

To Top