1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering joining the Coast Guard...feedback please

Discussion in 'Military' started by CNEDEER, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    BM is a Boatswains Mate. The drive the boats, do the navigation on cutters, manage deck force and ensure everything is painted correctly. They also blow the Boatswains pipe for Flag Officers when they come aboard.

MK is a Machinery Technician. They maintain the engines, AC systems, evaporator/reverse osmosis plant and generators to name a few. Mechanics if you will.

If you're serious let me know. I've got a good friend that works at Recruiting Command right now. Not recruiting office but Recruiting Command.

2. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    As a 20-yr Coast Guard retiree (BM), I'll throw my two bits in on this one. Since you're already going through the time/energy to get your bachelor's, don't even think about going enlisted unless you don't have a choice (need a job asap). Don't get me wrong, I was enlisted my entire career, but you can make a damn sight more money going the OCS (officer candidate school) route in the end. Getting-in wise, you'll most likely have a longer wait, but that's something you'll have to figure out via a recruiter. I'm not saying I appreciated--or even gave a damn about--most of the officers I encountered in my career because I didn't. What I am saying is that there is some truth to the old saying that "the one who dies with the most toys wins" and money doesn't suck. Yes, I saw things, did things and learned things that no officer ever will, but I got paid squat to do so. Your call.

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Wow! Sure the most toys wins but in the end if he's looking to do LE how much will be done as an Officer? Ensign, LTJG sure but once he becomes a LT he's going to be in an admin position telling folks what to do.

The best job in the Coast Guard is being a Chief. You have the knowledge of your rate, still get into the field to work and help mentor the Junior Officers. Strongest component of any command is the Chiefs Mess!

Also, going enlisted there are a variety of Officer programs available to him. Warrant to LT, DCO/DCE and OCS.

4. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I wholeheartedly agree that this is the BEST way to go, but I'm trying to look at it from their perspective. As a career BM, I had the opportunity to work with/over a lot of college grads whose recruiters convinced them that it was in their best interest to go enlisted because they (the recruiter) had quotas to fill when the exact opposite was true. I ended up with people who didn't feel they 'belonged' on deck with the rest of the scrubs which made my job that much harder. On the other hand, I've been retired now for nearly 10 years and I'm seeing much more clearly now just how little what I did in my career matters on the outside. That's where my "toys" comment came from.

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Got an email from my buddy at Recruiting Command.

6. Jan 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    You guys are awesome and full of info. Very much appreciated! OCS seems pretty stiff with competition. Any idea what can I can do to maybe enhance my chances of getting in?

7. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners

That's what I meant, they are the two largest rates so he would have a good chance at getting an operational unit and conducting LE. Meant BM and MKs are at most units, including TACLETs and MSSTs.

True that most do not follow the LE path, but if you want and have a desire to, the odds are in your favor. Just depends on how motivated you are to take that on in addition to your normal duties.

8. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.

Currently im an SN (seaman E-3) at a small boat station. I came in as an E-3 because I have an AA degree.

I start my day checking boat outfit ensuring that the boats are ready for missions. The rest of my day consists of station upkeep (cleaning, painting ect.). Then we do training on the boats practicing towing, man overboards, anchoring and emergency procedures for equipment failures.

I work 2 days on, 2 days off with sliding weekends so I only work 15 days a month.

9. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Hmm. Well I got some time to consider my possibilities. Seems like it maybe awfully difficult to get into OCS anytime soon. If I did join, I want somethign that is going to provide me real world and career experience for when I become law enforcement.

10. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I should of added right now, I am working on my BTM (boarding team member) qualification which directly translates to Law Enforcement. I will soon be assisting Boarding Officers in safety inspections, proper emergency equipment; flares, life jackets ect.

This is pretty similar to stuff local PD would be doing, although we're on the water ;)

11. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    That seems cool. And you went in enlisted? HOw long have you been in?

12. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Yes I'm enlisted. I have been in for about 9 months now.

13. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    How do ya like it so far? And where are ya currently stationed?

14. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I enjoy my job a lot. Just like any job there are frustrating/long days. I however, wouldn't pick any other job. I joined when I was 22 after working other jobs and being in the CG gives me by far the most satisfaction. I'm currently stationed on the Washington coast. I miss the sun, but it is beautiful out here.

Funny story actually, I got pulled over driving home a couple weeks ago by the Washington State Patrol and the Trooper asked how much longer until I got out because he wanted to offer me a job after he found out I was in the CG.

If you want to do Law Enforcement, I can't see a better route.

15. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Sounds cool man. What did you want to do in the CG when you first enlisted?

16. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I specifically joined to get real world experience to be a police officer. I'm now looking at possibly joining Customs and Boarder Patrol when I get out.

haha sounds pretty familiar eh? :D

17. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Ha sure does. Maybe you mentioned it already, but when you went in did you have a degree? Or were you a SN right away?

18. Jan 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    There are multiple ways to come in as an E3: Eagle scout, degree, enlist for 6 years instead of 4 (maybe not now). If you're serious about it give your local recruiter a call and set up an appointment. Biggest thing is to keep up on it because guarantee you want in more than the CG needs you in, unless you meet certain criteria. Don't get disappointed if they tell you they don't have any spots open, just weather the storm and be persistent. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

19. Jan 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I spoke with a recruiter and for his office they have reached their goal of 54 Active Duty recruits for the year already. He also stated that for the Active Duty Officer component they are at 200% already.

There is the delayed entry program you an enter on. You can go to and talk to a recruiter and go through MEP's (Military Entering Processing) and enlist no later than a year from the point you go through MEP's. They did not say how long the wait for ME was though.

Here is a link about the ME Rating for the Coast Guard.

For Machinery Technician.

For Boatswains Mate.

I'll be meeting with a group on the 14th of Feb and should have more insight regarding Advancements and Separations for you after that.

20. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Wow, I guess I didn't realize how few individuals they took. Any idea what I could do to increase chances of getting in?

Products Discussed in

To Top