Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Considering joining the Coast Guard...feedback please

Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
PVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
That seems cool. And you went in enlisted? HOw long have you been in?
Yes I'm enlisted. I have been in for about 9 months now.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #42
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
How do ya like it so far? And where are ya currently stationed?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #43
PVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
How do ya like it so far? And where are ya currently stationed?
I enjoy my job a lot. Just like any job there are frustrating/long days. I however, wouldn't pick any other job. I joined when I was 22 after working other jobs and being in the CG gives me by far the most satisfaction. I'm currently stationed on the Washington coast. I miss the sun, but it is beautiful out here.

Funny story actually, I got pulled over driving home a couple weeks ago by the Washington State Patrol and the Trooper asked how much longer until I got out because he wanted to offer me a job after he found out I was in the CG.

If you want to do Law Enforcement, I can't see a better route.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds cool man. What did you want to do in the CG when you first enlisted?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #45
Quote:
Sounds cool man. What did you want to do in the CG when you first enlisted?
I specifically joined to get real world experience to be a police officer. I'm now looking at possibly joining Customs and Boarder Patrol when I get out.

haha sounds pretty familiar eh?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #46
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Ha sure does. Maybe you mentioned it already, but when you went in did you have a degree? Or were you a SN right away?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
There are multiple ways to come in as an E3: Eagle scout, degree, enlist for 6 years instead of 4 (maybe not now). If you're serious about it give your local recruiter a call and set up an appointment. Biggest thing is to keep up on it because guarantee you want in more than the CG needs you in, unless you meet certain criteria. Don't get disappointed if they tell you they don't have any spots open, just weather the storm and be persistent. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #48
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I spoke with a recruiter and for his office they have reached their goal of 54 Active Duty recruits for the year already. He also stated that for the Active Duty Officer component they are at 200% already.

There is the delayed entry program you an enter on. You can go to and talk to a recruiter and go through MEP's (Military Entering Processing) and enlist no later than a year from the point you go through MEP's. They did not say how long the wait for ME was though.

Here is a link about the ME Rating for the Coast Guard.

For Machinery Technician.

For Boatswains Mate.

I'll be meeting with a group on the 14th of Feb and should have more insight regarding Advancements and Separations for you after that.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I guess I didn't realize how few individuals they took. Any idea what I could do to increase chances of getting in?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #50
Quote:
Wow, I guess I didn't realize how few individuals they took. Any idea what I could do to increase chances of getting in?
All they are looking for are people who don't have medical problems or a criminal history and are sound of mind.

Seems to me though if you're a female or have some ethnicity they get real excited. Apparently there is too many white males in the CG haha.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #51
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub. i have done allot of thinking about CG my self. (not the LE side as much like OP)

right now i want to start collage part time. (should have done it 2 years ago but. i hid clue what i wanted at all in life and may have made some stupid choices.)

edit: from reading Forerunner’s post about BM or MK sound like something i would like.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #52
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind when you read those descriptions there's more that ISN'T said than what is and it changes depending on where you're stationed. I won't BS a BSer.

To add to what Forerunner said, the recruiting office I went through recruited from 7 states an only had 60ish slots per year allotted if I remember correctly. Even a high ASVAB score might not help you get accepted. All up to the recruiter and what they see in you. If you want it go for it though I guarantee you won't regret it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #53
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
If its one thing I can take from all of this, it seems like everyone who is in the CG loves it. I have yet to hear an extremely negative thing about it, seems like all of ya really enjoy it. I do have some time, so over the course of the year I can do more research on it and talk to a recruiter. I'm really not looking to go the BM or MK route. Mechanical expertise isn't my forte. I understand you gotta start somewhere, but I know for certain I wouldn't enjoy wrenching or working on motors all day.