LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

deployment question-Navy

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
deployment question-Navy

My son who is in the Navy just completed all his phases for school (aviation electronics)and received his assignment. He was assigned to norfolk Va as a Sea Op Dep 6607. Do anyone have any insight on what exactly this is and if it is a good assignment. Thanks in advance and thank you very much for your service to out great country.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea what that means. When I was in the Navy, you either went to a ship or you didn't My guess is he would go to a carrier air wing.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohbrian View Post
I have no idea what that means. When I was in the Navy, you either went to a ship or you didn't My guess is he would go to a carrier air wing.
He was unclear on what it is and he was under the impression that he would not be assigned to a specific ship but would be floating between different ships (on a need basis) when he wasnt at the base doing tech stuff stateside
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
6607 simply means he's in Aviation Electronics. I'd bet my bottom dollar he goes to a carrier air wing and deploys with whatever carrier his squadron belongs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
He was unclear on what it is and he was under the impression that he would not be assigned to a specific ship but would be floating between different ships (on a need basis) when he wasnt at the base doing tech stuff stateside
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Taco Roja

Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure he's going to get his chance. He'll probably have an awesome time once he gets used to it. Being on the East coast he'll probably get to see ports in Italy/Spain etc. Was tough being away from home sometimes but I had the time of my life when I was in. I was on a carrier for 3 years, and if you have to go to sea (in the Navy)...that's the way to go.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #7

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohbrian View Post
I'm sure he's going to get his chance. He'll probably have an awesome time once he gets used to it. Being on the East coast he'll probably get to see ports in Italy/Spain etc. Was tough being away from home sometimes but I had the time of my life when I was in. I was on a carrier for 3 years, and if you have to go to sea (in the Navy)...that's the way to go.
He is pretty independant. Im hoping that he will get onto a carrier, pretty sure he wants to as well. He also told me that he is going to try to get into the teams, his plan is to apply for buds in two years.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
billman899r is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
billman899r's Tacoma Gallery
navy

He is probably in a squadron shore based, but they deploy with the carriers. I would expect him to be deployed 6 to 7 months out of every 24 and undertake shorter underways(out at sea) as well. I was enlisted for 6 years on sea duty and spent about 60 to 70 percent of each year out at sea. as far as a good command, they all have their ups and downs. The best commands are with the special ops. But, he'll be good in Norfolk, i was stationed on USS Anzio out of Norfolk.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #9

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman899r View Post
He is probably in a squadron shore based, but they deploy with the carriers. I would expect him to be deployed 6 to 7 months out of every 24 and undertake shorter underways(out at sea) as well. I was enlisted for 6 years on sea duty and spent about 60 to 70 percent of each year out at sea. as far as a good command, they all have their ups and downs. The best commands are with the special ops. But, he'll be good in Norfolk, i was stationed on USS Anzio out of Norfolk.
Sweet thanks for the info brother. I will relay that info to him.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
He will be assigned to FRC Norfolk (AIMD for us old salts), from which he will be assigned on a rotating deployment schedule. When deployed, he will be assigned to a ship, most likely a carrier or LPD/LPH/LHA, where he will be an augment to the vessel's Intermediate Maintenance Department.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #11

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
He will be assigned to FRC Norfolk (AIMD for us old salts), from which he will be assigned on a rotating deployment schedule. When deployed, he will be assigned to a ship, most likely a carrier or LPD/LPH/LHA, where he will be an augment to the vessel's Intermediate Maintenance Department.
thank you very much for the info sir
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Bill got it right Ted, ships company which is a good deal...Thank him for his service for me...Ken
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneman View Post
Bill got it right Ted, ships company which is a good deal...Thank him for his service for me...Ken

PFFFT! Ship's Company sucks balls...I'd rather be in a squadron!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
only spent 6 months on a cruise in ships company in the guided missile division on the USS Forrestal(1971 Med cruise)...spent most of the cruise drinking coffee, playing cribbage and watching flight ops...all the squadrons on board worked real hard at sea because of the flight ops...somedays it was round the clock ops and that kept the squadron boys hopping...in port the most I did was a shore patrol stint or two...enjoyed sightseeing abroad...I guess rank has it's privledge(AO2)...Ken
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why you retired as a first class and not a senior chief!

20 years, 21 days active duty... made chief under 13 and senior chief at 15+ because sailors belong on ships and ships belong at SEA! If you wanted shore duty you should have joined the Army!