Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Considering joining the Air Force!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
HottyToddy will become famous soon enough
HottyToddy's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Considering joining the Air Force!

Hello all. After several years of consideration and desire to join I am considering joining the Air Force. I am currently 23 years old and have a B.S. in Criminal Justice and currently in my final semester of my M.S. degree in Criminal Justice. I have maintained a 3.5+ GPA in both undergraduate and graduate coursework. I went and talked to a recruiter today about joining the Air Force and entering OTS. I am setting up a test date in the next few weeks to take the AFOQT. The career fields that I am interested in are those such as pilot, nav, intelligence, security forces, etc. Anyone with any background in the Air Force, in particular these career fields, please comment with what your experience in the AF has been and what recommendations do you have for me? Thanks to all of you for your service and replies in advance.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would be proud for you to defend our freedoms
Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Do it! I signed up a little over a year ago. I go to basic July 10th and I'm ready!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
I've been in 10 years... DOOO IT!!! as an O and not E...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Been in 12 years.. let me know if you have any questions... Do it!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
bootboiler has a spectacular aura aboutbootboiler has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Suppo
bootboiler's Tacoma Gallery
I went in after college, loved it, I would still be stuck in a crap job in Iowa if I hadn't. Navy though, and got to see a lot of the world on a ship, in the Air Force you don't travel as much, but you have excellent housing... If you don't get what you want from the AF, try the Navy...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
asuflyr is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Inst Pilot
Name: Mike
asuflyr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an instructor pilot down here in Corpus. If you want to know about the pilot/ nav track I can help.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it man. I have been in 7 years this year and i have a couple of semesters left before i cross over to the officer side. You are def going the right route as far as brass and not enlisted. TOOOOOO MUCH BS on the E side.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Just retired after 20+ years on 1 January. Great life. Do your absolute best on the AFOQT--take it very seriously. On all applications, be attentive to detail and put some thought into your responses. Sometimes, that makes all the difference. There is a lot of competition out there and the waiting list is considerable. The Air Force currently has no shortage of applicants both on the officer and enlisted sides of the house.

That being said, you may want to consider other career fields if there is availability. Six to eight years as an officer in any career field will bring a wealth of experience, many unique opportunities, and exceptional pay and benefits, especially in this economy. Serve 20 years, and reap a lifetime of monthly retirement checks (unless the fucktards in congress change it for you new guys), VA payments (if applicable), and a resume that will always set you above your peers.

Things to consider Best of luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Officer is the way to go. If i decide to stay in im going officer. Good luck!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
HottyToddy will become famous soon enough
HottyToddy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of your replies! I would love to join as a pilot (as I'm sure most do), however I am also very interested in what the navigation and intelligence branches offer. Also, what are some good resources for preparing for the AFOQT? I have researched some on the internet and found a few different sources/materials. However can any of you give any basic tips and/or suggestions?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
DOUBLE D is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Daniel
DOUBLE D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HottyToddy View Post
Hello all. After several years of consideration and desire to join I am considering joining the Air Force. I am currently 23 years old and have a B.S. in Criminal Justice and currently in my final semester of my M.S. degree in Criminal Justice.
why not go OSI?