Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Airborne

Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #81
A Member
AirborneTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airborne Engineer
AirborneTaco's Tacoma Gallery
retiredjumper, maybe you can give some insight on this-- is the "41" or "52" club a real thing with the black hats or is it something that people who were booted for the pt test made up to make themselves feel better? Just curious

AIRBORNE!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #82
retiredjumper is on a distinguished road
Army: 11Z Infantry retired
retiredjumper's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Haven't heard anything about the Club, be it seems clear to me that instructors would use the term to comply with policies while still showing their disdain for failure. But you need to understand that they have to fail many people simply because there's max course limit. Eg.. while I was there max size was 420 , in most courses we would encounter 500. In summer courses when the ROTC kids would show it could be over 600. This would require cadre to conduct serious weeding.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #83
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, you can worry someone with all the takl of injury. I plan on getting airborne soon, submitted a Ranger packet last week. I will get Airborne regardless and I can not wait for it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #84
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjumper View Post
Haven't heard anything about the Club, be it seems clear to me that instructors would use the term to comply with policies while still showing their disdain for failure. But you need to understand that they have to fail many people simply because there's max course limit. Eg.. while I was there max size was 420 , in most courses we would encounter 500. In summer courses when the ROTC kids would show it could be over 600. This would require cadre to conduct serious weeding.
My class was lucky. I got there in April and my once everyone signed in we had like 350 I think, quite a few legitamitally failed the PT test... Dunno how its the easiest thing ever.. But I don't think the Black Hats actually intentionally failed anyone due to the fact our class was so small. Ended up graduating exactly 300 paratroopers though.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #85
retiredjumper is on a distinguished road
Army: 11Z Infantry retired
retiredjumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
My class was lucky. I got there in April and my once everyone signed in we had like 350 I think, quite a few legitamitally failed the PT test... Dunno how its the easiest thing ever.. But I don't think the Black Hats actually intentionally failed anyone due to the fact our class was so small. Ended up graduating exactly 300 paratroopers though.
With the numbers that low the goal would most likely be to graduate everyone, who met the standards.
How do you like Ft Rich, we still want to move back there. Best assignment I had, the jumps were sweet. PT could be brutal, pulling that Damn awkeo (how ever ya spell it) in snow shoes. I sucked at skiing with the issue skis, grab! Walking back from Malemute dz was a Bitch in snowshoes. Beer and halibut was breakfast of champions.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #86
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With the numbers that low the goal would most likely be to graduate everyone, who met the standards.
How do you like Ft Rich, we still want to move back there. Best assignment I had, the jumps were sweet. PT could be brutal, pulling that Damn awkeo (how ever ya spell it) in snow shoes. I sucked at skiing with the issue skis, grab! Walking back from Malemute dz was a Bitch in snowshoes. Beer and halibut was breakfast of champions.
Fort Rich was a cool assignment, and I look forward to going back to Anchorage. I think it would be a blast in your day to day life or an extended vacation, but I can't say I truly enjoyed playing Army up there. Soft landings in the snow were great, but hard landings on ice were brutal.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #87
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love Fort Rich... I got there back in '10 right as the BDE was redeploying. Especially after being stationed at Drum for 3 years Rich is like heaven lol always something to do around Anchorage.
Malmute ain't that bad of a DZ, except when your close to the end of the chalk and get stuck on the other side of the DZ in the middle of winter thats when it starts to suck lol
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #88
Racingfan is on a distinguished road
Air Force: (RET.) MSgt, 25th Aerial Port Squadron
Name: Philip
Racingfan's Tacoma Gallery
"Five Jump Chump" here...got'em in 2003 (Delta 1/507) at 33 years old...Advil was my best friend for three weeks! The most fun I had in my 16 years with the Army and Army National Guard.

I get a kick out of all the load masters that see my wings on me AF uni. The just shake their heads and smile.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #89
abn2060 is on a distinguished road

abn2060's Tacoma Gallery
Been on jump status for 12 years and a JM since 2003. Being a Paratrooper/JM has been one of the most gratifying things I have ever done. I would recommend anyone in the military to get to jump school if they can.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #90
FallingChris is on a distinguished road
Army: 82nd ABN DIV
Name: Chris
FallingChris's Tacoma Gallery
10 jumps here, working on getting to 15-20 jumps before dropping my white slip paper work. Been in service for 4 years, 2 of them ABN status (only 1 year jumping due to deployment). Zero regrets going ABN!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #91
larkno is on a distinguished road
Army: 5th Special Forces Group (A)
Name: Ryan
larkno's Tacoma Gallery
Graduated Airborne School in June 2009.....My commander broke his back when they jumped in high winds....Luckily I did'nt have to jump that day. Oh and "hands across America" on the DZ because some guy thought he lost his NVG's when in reality he never brought them.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #92
overactor is on a distinguished road
Army: Alpha Co 1st-504th PIR Airborne Intantry
Name: robbie
overactor's Tacoma Gallery
Aco 1-504th PIR "Alpha Bone" 82nd Airborne Division 00-05. And im still stuck in this shithole fatalville. I have a lot of fun stories Ill post some when Im not typing on my phone.

Firt jump in division.

Knees in the breeze!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #93
Flight Ready
Space Junk is on a distinguished road

Space Junk's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted to go Airborne when I joined in '83. Told my recruiter that after basic and AIT I might be sick of training and could I decide to go after AIT, he said nooo problem! After I graduated I figured how much worse could four more weeks of training be after all I had been through so far, and so I asked if I could sign up for jump school. They laughed at me and said I would have needed to sign up when I first joined! After I got back home I looked for that recruiter but he was long gone. Missing out on that turned out to be my life's biggest single regret. I ended up jumping after I left the Army but it wasn't the same as earning that patch.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #94
jhatheway is on a distinguished road

Army: C co 1-134th Longe Range Surveillance
Name: Josh
jhatheway's Tacoma Gallery
Any fellow lawn darts have a good recommendation for a good helmet cam. I want to start recording my jumps.
AIRBORNE!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #95
Legend of the UG
Kappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 307th Expeditionary Sig BN
Name: Mike
Kappes03's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with the gopro
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #96
jhatheway is on a distinguished road

Army: C co 1-134th Longe Range Surveillance
Name: Josh
jhatheway's Tacoma Gallery
Ya that's one of the two I was choosing from. The go pro and the contour. I just don't know how sturdy the contour mount would be
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #97
overactor is on a distinguished road
Army: Alpha Co 1st-504th PIR Airborne Intantry
Name: robbie
overactor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatheway View Post
Ya that's one of the two I was choosing from. The go pro and the contour. I just don't know how sturdy the contour mount would be
You here at bragg? If so maybe I can get you aloaner go pro to try out
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #98
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
i have 26 jumps under my belt. my penis almost got sliced in half a few times from the harness and i never oce had a soft landing. i always hit like a sack of bricks.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #99
abn2060 is on a distinguished road

abn2060's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybreach View Post
i have 26 jumps under my belt. my penis almost got sliced in half a few times from the harness and i never oce had a soft landing. i always hit like a sack of bricks.
Yikes!!! You are doing something wrong....
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #100
SteveT is on a distinguished road

Army: Retired Medic
Name: Steve
SteveT's Tacoma Gallery
88-92 Ft Bragg