1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Army PT test

Discussion in 'Military' started by Airborne09, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    So what are everyone views on the new PT test the SMA Chandler is proposing?

I think its a pretty damn good idea, adding the ruck march in and lengthening the run. I know for a fact that half the people in my unit couldn't pass a ruck march if they tried, or run 4 miles let alone 2.

2. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    Justin W

Justin W Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jefferson, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite double cab Tacoma
    all i know is they need to make up there mind on what they want to do...

3. Feb 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    current drawdown would come down to who can pass the new APRT....
    intense stuff. Would make the Air Assault ruck less of a kick in the kidney to noobs like me though.

but ROTC's still running the APFT, so idt it would even affect me for awhile...
    :popcorn:

4. Feb 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM
    Airborne09

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Well their wanting it put into play army wide by Oct. 1st.

And kinda like the Air Assault, I had females in my class that passed the ruck easy so if a female can do it then a male better be able to. Which is why I'm happy their trying to add a ruck to the test.

5. Feb 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    It's interesting how the APRT changes over time - always looking for the "best" way to test for fitness. Thank God we're past the idiotic days of the Inverted Crawl, the Run, Dodge and Jump, and the Horizontal Bars aka the Perverted Crawl, the Slip, trip and Fall and the Horizontal Hand Destroyer.

I think that anything that tests the strength and abilities needed in combat is focused properly. But, how many times will you need to run 4 miles at once? Certainly, having the stamina to do that is important - but a timed 4 mile run doesn't mean much in the greater scheme, IMHO. And, as one who has severe knee arthritis (an old knee injury made much worse by first running in boots and then long slow-paced runs) establishing a run of that duration means that daily training runs will become even longer and more damaging to knees and feet.

Just my own - and old - perspective. But, while I htink the ruck march is a good move, pushing the run to 4 miles is, I think, detrimental in the long run (no pun intended).

6. Feb 17, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    Airborne09

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The 4 mile run is a bit excesive, but I almost think it is needed because half the time most people don't train for more than 2 miles, and with a 4 mile run it will force people to pace themselves more than just going full throttle for 2 straight miles. Yes it most certainly will wear down peoples feet and knees. I came into the Army with bad knees from years of playing baseball (catcher) and then with 34 jumps under my belt, they ain't the best anymore that's for sure ha.
    So I can see your point on the running. But the ruck I can definately feel is a much needed event.

7. Feb 17, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I definately feel the ruck march is needed. We did quarterly 25 mile full-gear marches when I was in 7th ID - the 9th Regiment standard was under 8 hours. COnditioning was a must.

In terms of the run, I'd prefer to see them require periodic pre-testing - say every month or two - so that people don't wait until the last minute to try to force their way through the APRT. As it is, you'll be seeing units doing 8 to 10 mile runs regularly to "prep" people...and you'll still see as many people fail the 4 mile as you see fail the 2 now. Same thing, different distance.

8. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:49 AM
    13BGriff

13BGriff Member

Member:
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/OR
    I've been in for 8 years, 4+ of those I've been deployed, my knees are shot. I can push myself through the 2 mile but 4, I think I might be weeded out. The ruck, I have absolutely no problem with. I've always been a pack mule, not a stallion. I do see a problem with all of this though. Our 300+PT guys who will have no problem with this are also the guys who struggle with the day to day physicality of my job in artillery. I'm 210lbs can walk with a 96lbs. on my shoulder all day without slowing down. These 150lbs. guys struggle with the first few and then they're just useless but can run as the day is long.

It's going to end up being the slim, trim and just for show army where a lot of guys in the same situation are told they aren't wanted anymore but when deployments come up and the job we trained for happens we're going to be deficient. That kind of planning is above my paygrade though.

9. Mar 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I understand what you're saying here. I spent my first 13 years in the Army as an artillery officer - trained in cannon, LANCE missile and survey/target acquisition - in 8", 155mm SP, LANCE, and 105mm (M119) battalions. My last arty job was as the BN FSO with 2/8 FA serving as regimental FSO to 9th Infantry Regiment at Fort Ord. I was never a fast runner but could always complete any distance formation run and hump a ruck as well as anyone.

13 years of running, maybe 4 or 5 back when we still ran in boots, and the rest tore up my knees and I got tagged on a physical with degenerative arthritis in my right knee. The doctor told me he was going to put me through an MMRB and put me out. I was, somehow, able to convince him that if he let me transfer to a non-combat arms branch, I wouldn't have to run any more. :p Two weeks later, I was wearing MI brass and moved to the division G2 shop and later was the XO for 107th MI at Fort Ord, still running and humping a ruck.

At that point, long distance runs were excruciating - tons of Motrin kept me going. A 4 mile run would have been hard - not from the conditioning perspective, just from the pain management side. And, I don't really think that it really provides any true assessment of conditioning in relation to the tasks a Soldier needs to be able to complete.

Hell, the old Run, Dodge and Jump replicated current requirements more than a 4 mile run does, IMHO.

The good news is, though, that I get to pontificate from the perspective of a retiree. I have the utmost respect for those of you still serving.

10. Mar 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    RC Base07

RC Base07 Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Reg Cab
    BHLM, secondary air filter removed, Fatbobs
    What is the new pt test comprised of? 4-mile run, XX mile ruck, shuttle run, pull-ups, PU, SU? Something like that?

11. Mar 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    Airborne09

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road

They haven't said what all the events are gonna be, but from what I've read its gonna be something like..
    12 mile ruck (4 hours), 4 mile run, push ups, rower, and possibly pull ups...
    It hasn't been finalized yet and we won't know until May.

12. Mar 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
  13. Mar 25, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    Duaneyo1

Duaneyo1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    St Peters MO
    Disclaimer: My military experience is zero. Here are my thoughts on the subject: The shuttle run sounds valuable. After all the men and women who are currently running outside of training are dodging bullets or running to cover. The long march with gear would make sure someone has a level of strength and endurance to do the day to day jobs in the military. The 4 mile run seems excessive. It's the training for a 4 mile run that going to be hard on the knees and joints. There's just too many other ways to test fitness that are easier on the body.

14. Mar 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Buddha4

Buddha4 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    cold air intake
    I have no issues with a more challengin APFT but you have to keep in mind that since it has to be given for AC/RC/ and ARNG. Realistically how is a RC or ARNG going to conduct a test with a road march during a drill weekend and do anything else? there are certain conditions for the 2 mile run. what terrain is considered for a ruck?

The article is interesting with the title then quotes "The recommendation will be "

15. Mar 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... it won't take long to blow out the knees of the little guys with 100 lbs on their backs on a long march.

I was 5'-8" and a 160, in great shape with no fat, when I was in ... but humping 105 lbs on my back damn near killed me.

Take that weight off my back (or lighten it substantially) and I could run all day.

16. Mar 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I had an USAF E-9 tell a group of us SNCO's that the new fitness test is part of an overall RIF program. I looked him at with the "Are you fucking kidding!?" look and he asked me "Are you surprised?" I said "No, just surprised you openly admitted it to a group of us." He also asked me why he should keep a guy who has been working on the same helicopter for 20+ years but cannot run when he can get a younger guy fresh out of boot camp who cannot tell the difference between an flat head and phillips...and do it for less!!

The guy is a total fuck bag with ZERO operational experience. He was an admin DB.

Honestly, I feel this is less about military fitness than it is weeding people out. From what I have seen lately, the branches are lacking in ANY sort of leadership (save for a few). I would be hard pressed to recommend anyone join the service right now...unfortunately.

Products Discussed in

To Top