1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Sapper's out there?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Bishop2Queens6, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do after getting my degree in Chemical Engineering, and I've considered joining the Army and becoming a Sapper.

I've always wanted to join the military to serve with the typical childhood dream of being a fighter pilot, Ranger, or SF, but a Sapper really looks like something I can do.

I watched "Surviving the Cut" on the Military Channel about becoming an Army Sapper, and I know its not portrayed exactly, but it got me very interested in becoming one because they said they look for "those with chemical engineering backgrounds."

I'm just looking for some advice and experience from those who have worked with or are Sapper's, what they do on a daily basis, responsibilities, and real world actions and duties.

Thank you!

2. Apr 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  3. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    Go SF and be a engineer.does everything a sapper can do plus a whole hell of alot more

4. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Sounds like a plan.

5. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    First off, I wanna commend you on thinking about joining the military, not many people have nor will.
    Second, if you are going to join worry about making it through basic, AIT, selection (if you go SF.) Then worry about going to Sapper school.
    If you watched the Surviving the Cut then you know just a taste of the actual school. I went though back in 07 and completed the course but didn't make enough points at the end so I'm what they call a "Untabbed Sapper" still shows up on my records as completing it, just don't get the skill identifier. My point for telling you this? Focus on what is in front of you at that time... I was looking ahead to other things and wasn't focused enough and it screwed me over. So like I said focus on basic first then AIT, so on so forth.

I wish you the best of luck to you, in whatever you chose to do.

6. Apr 7, 2022 at 7:49 AM
    sp2rays

sp2rays New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100 @1.5in. Goodyear Ultraterrain LT265/75 R16
    Sapper Leadership and Paratrooper's courses are grueling but rewarding. Mental challenge outweighs the physical, if you're in shape. Combat Arms gives you plenty of transferable skills. ETS'd a 12B, Buck Sgt (E5) promotable. Went right into a civilian management position and been there ever since. You'll also learn skills that benefit when off roading, e.g leverage, rigging, maneuvering off road and survival just to name a few. Saw the world and combat. Not too many can claim that. Great experience. Hooah!

7. Apr 7, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    vorkuta775

vorkuta775 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    tesla truck
    you don't always get what you want in the army..... I would personally choose something else, and avoid the military all together. just my 2 cents.

8. Apr 7, 2022 at 8:07 AM
    OmahTako

OmahTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma-1ea. Tundra-1ea.
    Well...especially nowadaze:gossip:

9. Apr 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM
    USMILRET

USMILRET Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2007 and 2020 Tacoma
    The Sapper school is a leadership school just like the Ranger School ect. I personally would think long and hard if being a sapper is what you want to do. You can certainly make it work for you in the long run but give it a lot of consideration.
    The Engineer Corps has a high acceptable rate of combat loss as I have heard it around 37 percent but thats just hearsay. So accept the fact that you might be more expendable than you want to be in the Army.
    Once you are sapping away blowing up stuff in the Engineer Corps you might be jealous of what some of the other guys in the Army are doing like repairing trucks and tanks like I did when I was in the Army. Good luck

10. Jun 17, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    Tw85

Tw85 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6spd w/P&T
    I’m a Army Engineer Officer (14 years, Major) and Sapper Leader Course graduate. Are you looking at enlisting or becoming an officer? For enlisted, 12B Combat Engineer would be the best match. You can serve as a Sapper and get an opportunity to compete for a slot to attend the course as an E4 (maybe E3 if you’re lucky). Officers are more generalists and can attend as LT through CPT.

Products Discussed in

To Top