Should I join the Marines?

View Poll Results: ?
join the marines 40 61.54%
don't 9 13.85%
join another branch (which and why) 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
Becoming a Marine was the best decision I have ever made. All branches will open lots of doors if you decide to get out, depending on the MOS you choose, but when they say Honor, Courage and Commitment, that is something that is instilled into you as a Marine, not to mention the immense pride and brotherhood you gain. It is an adventure as long as you dont let yourself become a pile...
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i would suggest speaking with recruiters from all branches, think really hard about what you want to get out of the whole thing. I am all for it. worked well for me
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosunday View Post
Becoming a Marine was the best decision I have ever made. All branches will open lots of doors if you decide to get out, depending on the MOS you choose, but when they say Honor, Courage and Commitment, that is something that is instilled into you as a Marine, not to mention the immense pride and brotherhood you gain. It is an adventure as long as you dont let yourself become a pile...
MOS?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

buzzards why did you say other?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
military occupational specialty
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheff405 View Post
MOS?
Military Occupational Specialty= Your Job
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #27

ok. from former or current marine. what was some of the things you experience during your 12 week training.

both the good and bad
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
I Do Not G.A.S.
YikoHama is on a distinguished road
Navy:
YikoHama's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menametony View Post
im a navy recruiter.. i dont tell lies

OP it depends what type of field you want to go into, every branch has its pros and cons.. if you want to be a combatant type army/marines i would do marines just because they are cooler.. the technical side i say navy.. i mean navy has their combatant side also.. our spec ops option isnt to shabby... thats if you can hang.. got any questions, just let me know. Good luck on your search..

Oh yeah, make sure you can pass the asvab and physical
Sure, spoken like a politician! If I know where my recruiter is, I'd shoot him in the balls, then I'd shove them down his throat, and ram my foot up his ass.

Seriously, recruiters are the last people the OP wants to talk to about joining. They are after all "recruiters" NOT advisors, or your friends, or honest.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by YikoHama View Post
If I know where my recruiter is, I'd shoot him in the balls, then I'd shove them down his throat, and ram my foot up his ass..

why is that
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray View Post
I'm infantry 3 years in the army deployed to Iraq and got wounded there so I think I've experienced enough to know. I would choose the army because you choose what you do unlike the marines... Meant to vote different branch. My friend joined the service the same time as me and I chose infantry he chose marines. Long story short he is a truck driver for the marines
Marines pick their own MOS as well.

OP, if you want to join the infantry go for it. It will be the best and worst time of your life. If you dont get killed or blown up of course. If you want to do something other than infantry, the other services will be a bit more laid back.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
Harleyfx69 is on a distinguished road
Harleyfx69's Tacoma Gallery
you havent researched anything about it if you dont know what an MOS or asvab is at all..

Do some generic research and you can answer a lot of your own questions..

Google what does basic training consist of.. Or look at the website of the services your considering ..

A generic break down of the extremes..

3 mile run in 18 minutes, 100 pushups 100 situps,

10+ mile hikes with pack,

classroom learning, weapons ranges, lack of sleep, lack of food, lack of communication,

Toilet scrubbing, kitchen work, etc etc..
Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
GoldMember

Honestly, boot camp was fun for me, but I cant say it is for everyone, there were some sorry souls there. You will have more training after boot camp where you will either go to SOI (School of Infantry), or MCT (Marine Combat Training) depending on what MOS you choose.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyfx69 View Post
you havent researched anything about it if you dont know what an MOS or asvab is at all..

Do some generic research and you can answer a lot of your own questions..

Google what does basic training consist of.. Or look at the website of the services your considering ..

A generic break down of the extremes..

3 mile run in 18 minutes, 100 pushups 100 situps,

10+ mile hikes with pack,

classroom learning, weapons ranges, lack of sleep, lack of food, lack of communication,

Toilet scrubbing, kitchen work, etc etc..
I've always wanted to go into the military but I just started really looking into it that's why I was trying to get everyone's opinion and experiences.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Honestly, boot camp was fun for me, but I cant say it is for everyone, there were some sorry souls there. You will have more training after boot camp where you will either go to SOI (School of Infantry), or MCT (Marine Combat Training) depending on what MOS you choose.
got ya yea i'm pretty well built not a very good runner but of course I would work on that before inlisting. but for the most part I feel like I would enjoy it. like where I work I have the most labor intensive job there and I LOVE my job.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
I Do Not G.A.S.
YikoHama is on a distinguished road
Navy:
YikoHama's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheff405 View Post
why is that
He was a lying sack of shit! List is too long to mention. But I wasn't stupid to believe in everything he had to say. I joined to travel around the world and money for college.

Btw, I'm not the only one who wants to kick his sorry ass. I'd would have to fight with two of my buddies from high school for that opportunity. They both signed up after I did.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #36
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray View Post
I'm infantry 3 years in the army deployed to Iraq and got wounded there so I think I've experienced enough to know. I would choose the army because you choose what you do unlike the marines... Meant to vote different branch. My friend joined the service the same time as me and I chose infantry he chose marines. Long story short he is a truck driver for the marines
I got exactly the MOS I picked, and it worked for me. But like previous post, you have to score on the ASVAB equal to what MOS you pick. Just make sure you actually read the contract prior to signing.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #37

I mean before I even walk through the doors of a recruiter office I'll have my mind made up b/c i've hear about them lying just to get you to inlist that's why I thought I would ask on here for some information.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #38

Quote:
I got exactly the MOS I picked, and it worked for me. But like previous post, you have to score on the ASVAB equal to what MOS you pick. Just make sure you actually read the contract prior to signing.
well knowing my dad he will read the entire thing 50 times before he lets me sign. haven't even told him yet.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #39
GoldMember

And if they say they cant get a certain MOS for you or there is no openings or some other shit, try a different recruiting office. There are some decent recruiters out there and then there are some
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #40

Quote:
And if they say they cant get a certain MOS for you or there is no openings or some other shit, try a different recruiting office. There are some decent recruiters out there and then there are some
thanks yea I have 2 marine corps offices pretty close to me either that or google is lying to me