Notices

Should I join the Marines?

View Poll Results: ?
join the marines 40 61.54%
don't 9 13.85%
join another branch (which and why) 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
JeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
JeremyGrey's Tacoma Gallery
This is how I would have done it if I could do it again: Go to a fun college for your first year. That way you still get to bang some slutty college chicks, drink to much and earn a few credits while you are at it. THEN, join the military. It is my understanding that you have a little more bargaining power with some college credits when you go to sign up. If you are joining for the main purpose of getting money for college, I don't know if the Marines is right for you. Those are some pretty rough bastards. Might wonna look into the army(I hear they have a my vagina hurts card you can wave if boot camp is getting to stressful and they give you a little nap), navy, air force. Also, take this with a grain of salt. When you do get out and are looking for work, IMO the people looking to hire will be weary of hiring a young vet. When I am interviewing a young vet, I take a GOOD hard look at the way they look. My experience working with military guys(and I work with alot), is that they either come out as really hard working/organized individuals OR they come out as crazy slobs. If the guy I'm interviewing is clean cut, straight shooter I will give him a shot. If he looks rough AT ALL, I pass. I did the college thing and bypassed the military. Like I said, I wish I would have done a little college then gone into the military. Probly wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I made.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #42
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Lj8259;4921418]This is how I would have done it if I could do it again: Go to a fun college for your first year. That way you still get to bang some slutty college chicks, drink to much and earn a few credits while you are at it. THEN, join the military. It is my understanding that you have a little more bargaining power with some college credits when you go to sign up. If you are joining for the main purpose of getting money for college, I don't know if the Marines is right for you. Those are some pretty rough bastards. Might wonna look into the army(I hear they have a my vagina hurts card you can wave if boot camp is getting to stressful and they give you a little nap), navy, air force.

LMFAO!Fuckin Stress Card
Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #43
JeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosunday View Post
LMFAO!Fuckin Stress Card
Am I wrong? I was told this by a marine. Sorry if that was bad info
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj8259 View Post
This is how I would have done it if I could do it again: Go to a fun college for your first year. That way you still get to bang some slutty college chicks, drink to much and earn a few credits while you are at it. THEN, join the military. It is my understanding that you have a little more bargaining power with some college credits when you go to sign up. If you are joining for the main purpose of getting money for college, I don't know if the Marines is right for you. Those are some pretty rough bastards. Might wonna look into the army(I hear they have a my vagina hurts card you can wave if boot camp is getting to stressful and they give you a little nap), navy, air force. Also, take this with a grain of salt. When you do get out and are looking for work, IMO the people looking to hire will be weary of hiring a young vet. When I am interviewing a young vet, I take a GOOD hard look at the way they look. My experience working with military guys(and I work with alot), is that they either come out as really hard working/organized individuals OR they come out as crazy slobs. If the guy I'm interviewing is clean cut, straight shooter I will give him a shot. If he looks rough AT ALL, I pass. I did the college thing and bypassed the military. Like I said, I wish I would have done a little college then gone into the military. Probly wouldn't have made some of the mistakes I made.
done and money for college isn't the problem. parents saved up for that
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
why not do it...but get a degree first and be an officer instead,...
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #46

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheff405 View Post
done and money for college isn't the problem. parents saved up for that
then go for it
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #47
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
then go for it
I'm going to wait a few more days to think about it but I'm seriously considering it
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #48
zoomie is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
zoomie's Tacoma Gallery
Go to your local V.A. hospital and wander around for a few days. Don't listen to the "Hey man , this is no shit....." stories. Talk to the old guys , psych patients ,T.B.I guys , look in physical therapy and talk to them ,too. For some it is the golden ticket out of shitsville , and for others , not as much fun as it looks. Don't be hasty. Go to school now ,if not college , tech school.Make big F'ing points on your asvab and cherry pick what you want. Learn a trade. Then if it is what you want ,make a unalterable decision. Right now you have the most valuable things in the world........youth and time. You can always join up at a later date. At 25 you can be the old guy in basic training.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #49
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Go Navy! I've served both sides and the grass is only green on one
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #50
RAGEAHOLIC
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: HARRISON
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Kill!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #51
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
consider ROTC throught your college??
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #52

y can't we all just get a long.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #53

I'm currently done for the semester and plan on taking next one off if I don't join
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #54
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
buzzards why did you say other?

Whoever said boot camp is hard wasn't infantry, it's the easiest thing I did. Plus it's softer now.

I said other because of my experience.

Any infantry Marine will tell you he is proud and very few have bragging rights over him. If you go infantry, the Corps is the best, you might as well. Don't be mistaken, you will be pissed off, pissed on, miserable, and in pain that you don't get until you're looking back on it. The BS is unrivaled in the Marine Corps infantry. NOTHING will make sense, the guy in charge of you will most likely be a complete douchebag who couldn't hack it anywhere else in life so stayed in to make you miserable and you will have the lowest budget housing, food, and anything else. But you grow close to your brothers through shared hardships and if you're like most grunts, half crazed, you'll learn to thoroughly enjoy being miserable. You'll laugh at it, a lot, because you have no other option. If you think you're up for it, by all means, jump on it and do that thing! I'll be the first to help prepare you for one of the most unforgettable experiences of your life, I'll gladly give you a heads up on everything from boot camp, to soi, to the fleet, and how to survive.

I wouldn't trade my experience for a thing and I owe a whole lot to the ways I grew in the Corps. That being said, there's a reason a lot of guys get out with a lot of resentment like some of the cats here have shown. They're learning yet, and probably shouldn't whine about it, but that doesn't change that there is reason behind those who get out and feel the corps robbed a part of their life away. I don't feel that way, but some of my more rebellious, younger men did when they got out.

Also keep in mind, you may come out just fine like a lot of my guys did. Or maybe like me, I have a serrated disc in my upper back and hemorrhaged in my lower, had severe head and neck injury, ringing right ear, busted shoulders I can barely lift over my head, a busted hip and my forearms and hands are so worn I can barely turn a wrench let alone open a jar or take the little bro bowling. I just can't. I'm in physical pain every single day on top of the mental effects the corps has. I have pretty bad insomnia, IBS, anxiety, anger etc. . . Don't anyone dare say I'm whining either. I bear it, I suck it up and take care of my family, I don't collect the disability I could and I have every right to let this guy know what could happen.

I lost a lot of men, more have no legs, fingers, eyes or wives, and I miss them all dearly.

I also missed out on my little brothers growing up, which is a big deal to me because I'm close with them.

All that said and then some. You can never replace the brotherhood of the Marines you serve with. No where else you go will it be the same. People at work, school or church most likely wouldn't die for you without hesitation. I don't regret my life in the Corps, had I not been injured my goal was to try out for MARSOC and I'd provably be back in Afghan right now. But here I am. Proud I am a Marine, and I will cherish those memories and they lessons learned.

You will have fun, you'll be proud, just keep in mind you can join the air force like my friends did, spend your time in being treated as a human being, acquire a job skill, have significantly lower possibility for lifelong injuries, and get out with the same benefits as me.

I didn't want to get long, detailed, or sound like a pitty party because I don't want any, but I felt it fair to tell you like it is, or at least how it was for me.

I'd say pick some job you like in the air force, enjoy your time in, don't worry about bragging rights, and get out in one piece whenever you want.

Keep in mind a younger me would tell you the exact opposite, but the choice is ultimately yours.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #55
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm currently done for the semester and plan on taking next one off if I don't join
Don't do it man! Just go navy dude and your problems will be all over.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #56
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Am I wrong?
Nope
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Whoever said boot camp is hard wasn't infantry, it's the easiest thing I did. Plus it's softer now.

I said other because of my experience.

Any infantry Marine will tell you he is proud and very few have bragging rights over him. If you go infantry, the Corps is the best, you might as well. Don't be mistaken, you will be pissed off, pissed on, miserable, and in pain that you don't get until you're looking back on it. The BS is unrivaled in the Marine Corps infantry. NOTHING will make sense, the guy in charge of you will most likely be a complete douchebag who couldn't hack it anywhere else in life so stayed in to make you miserable and you will have the lowest budget housing, food, and anything else. But you grow close to your brothers through shared hardships and if you're like most grunts, half crazed, you'll learn to thoroughly enjoy being miserable. You'll laugh at it, a lot, because you have no other option. If you think you're up for it, by all means, jump on it and do that thing! I'll be the first to help prepare you for one of the most unforgettable experiences of your life, I'll gladly give you a heads up on everything from boot camp, to soi, to the fleet, and how to survive.

I wouldn't trade my experience for a thing and I owe a whole lot to the ways I grew in the Corps. That being said, there's a reason a lot of guys get out with a lot of resentment like some of the cats here have shown. They're learning yet, and probably shouldn't whine about it, but that doesn't change that there is reason behind those who get out and feel the corps robbed a part of their life away. I don't feel that way, but some of my more rebellious, younger men did when they got out.

Also keep in mind, you may come out just fine like a lot of my guys did. Or maybe like me, I have a serrated disc in my upper back and hemorrhaged in my lower, had severe head and neck injury, ringing right ear, busted shoulders I can barely lift over my head, a busted hip and my forearms and hands are so worn I can barely turn a wrench let alone open a jar or take the little bro bowling. I just can't. I'm in physical pain every single day on top of the mental effects the corps has. I have pretty bad insomnia, IBS, anxiety, anger etc. . . Don't anyone dare say I'm whining either. I bear it, I suck it up and take care of my family, I don't collect the disability I could and I have every right to let this guy know what could happen.

I lost a lot of men, more have no legs, fingers, eyes or wives, and I miss them all dearly.

I also missed out on my little brothers growing up, which is a big deal to me because I'm close with them.

All that said and then some. You can never replace the brotherhood of the Marines you serve with. No where else you go will it be the same. People at work, school or church most likely wouldn't die for you without hesitation. I don't regret my life in the Corps, had I not been injured my goal was to try out for MARSOC and I'd provably be back in Afghan right now. But here I am. Proud I am a Marine, and I will cherish those memories and they lessons learned.

You will have fun, you'll be proud, just keep in mind you can join the air force like my friends did, spend your time in being treated as a human being, acquire a job skill, have significantly lower possibility for lifelong injuries, and get out with the same benefits as me.

I didn't want to get long, detailed, or sound like a pitty party because I don't want any, but I felt it fair to tell you like it is, or at least how it was for me.

I'd say pick some job you like in the air force, enjoy your time in, don't worry about bragging rights, and get out in one piece whenever you want.

Keep in mind a younger me would tell you the exact opposite, but the choice is ultimately yours.

Good luck
this is exactly what I was wanting to know/learn. and I have no problem putting my life on the line for the good of the country even though its going to shit it seems like.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #58
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Love ya Chaz. Been down this same lonely road. Now my son is following, out of West Point he will likely go from the top school in America to Afghan to serve proudly.
My wife served in the Navy as well.
Some of us have horror stories but it is refreshing to hear someone else say they wouldnt trade them.
Semper Fi
The fact that I can walk into my college and go yup, that guy was a grunt, I don't even know his name but we'd literally die for each other, is nice

Hardest transition for me wasn't the pain or lonely road, it's learning not to hate people man. I got here and wanted to punch every whiny, entitled, punk in the throat.
Now, ELE man. Everybody Love Everybody ha

Man, I gotta call my guys up. Yall are making me miss the miserable bastards
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #59
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
USMC Infantry. It was the best of times, and the worst of times.

Boot camp and MOS school ain't shit. The REAL training starts in the fleet.

You will change for the better, and you will change for the worst. Trust me on that one.

The title of Marine and your experience will forever stay with you. Like I said, with both good times and bad times. If you are fortunate enough to join the Marines and finish a successful enlistment.

And what the fellow Marine said above. I fucking hate people. No offense.

Good luck.

Semper motherfucking Fi
Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
USMC Infantry. It was the best of times, and the worst of times.

Boot camp and MOS school ain't shit. The REAL training starts in the fleet.

You will change for the better, and you will change for the worst. Trust me on that one.

The title of Marine and your experience will forever stay with you. Like I said, with both good times and bad times. If you are fortunate enough to join the Marines and finish a successful enlistment.

And what the fellow Marine said above. I fucking hate people. No offense.

Good luck.

Semper motherfucking Fi
I already hate lazy ass no good for nothing ass holes that need to get off there "disabled" asses and work for a living instead of living off my tax money that the government so eagerly gives out