Should I join the Marines?

View Poll Results: ?
join the marines 40 61.54%
don't 9 13.85%
join another branch (which and why) 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
Should I join the Marines?

what are the pros and cons of being a marine

or if you have input on other branches feel free to put in you .02
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
What job would you want? Do you have any college credits?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
I Do Not G.A.S.
YikoHama is on a distinguished road
Navy:
YikoHama's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheff405 View Post
what are the pros and cons of being a marine

or if you have input on other branches feel free to put in you .02
$$$ for college -- just so you know, they don't write you one big fat check!

visit new places and get paid to kill people.

Don't know your level of maturity but you definitely will learn to grow up fast. If not, I'm pretty sure the other marines will nudge you in the right direction. Sleep with one eye open at all times. Oh yeah, you can forget about your beauty sleep and don't expect to dine on gourmet meals during your time in the service.

I can write an essay on this, but I'll just sum it up by saying it was a good learning experience during my 4 years in the Navy. I wouldn't do it again though.

Oh one last thing, bootcamp may seem like a bitch while you're in it, but you'll have lots of stories to tell once you graduated.

I still tell people stories about Captain Kaos, Handchez Sanchez (guess what he got caught doing????? ), Smear the Queer, etc, etc!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
^^ Well stated^^^. The Corps or not for everyone. Talk to Vets, not recruiters, htey go to school to learn how to tell lies. My brother is a Marine, He is a Sniper . He likes it. His family ( I included) do not. So talk to others and stay away from the offices until you are ready to give it a try. They will run your ass into the ground.. Be prepared..
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
What job would you want? Do you have any college credits?
to be honest I don't know what I want as a career. and I have a few but so far me and college haven't gotten along very well..

all I do know is I'm a very hands on person love guns pretty athletic love new experiences and I've always had a protective mindset about me.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Military was the best experience of my life. I served in the Army as infantry and in the Navy as an Electronics Tech. If I had to do it all over again, I would join the Air Force. Its a hard life, period. If you want an adventure, not much can top it.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

well I got a cousin that is stationed in paris for 2 years and was in dublin for ST. patties day. And I would love to travel the world and meet new people and experience all that there is out there for me to experience.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

if you vote no say why.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Bray is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantryman 2-14IN
Name: Bray
Bray's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it you will regret it
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray View Post
Don't do it you will regret it
and why is that (just trying to get information and different experiences)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #11

I don't really want you to confirm I just want to see what people did and didn't like about it so it will help me make my decision on if I do. because maybe ya'll experienced something I didn't necessarly think about
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Menametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud of

Navy: ET1(SW/AW), Recruiter @ NRS TriBeCa (NYC)
Menametony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Menametony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
^^ Well stated^^^. The Corps or not for everyone. Talk to Vets, not recruiters, htey go to school to learn how to tell lies. My brother is a Marine, He is a Sniper . He likes it. His family ( I included) do not. So talk to others and stay away from the offices until you are ready to give it a try. They will run your ass into the ground.. Be prepared..
im a navy recruiter.. i dont tell lies

OP it depends what type of field you want to go into, every branch has its pros and cons.. if you want to be a combatant type army/marines i would do marines just because they are cooler.. the technical side i say navy.. i mean navy has their combatant side also.. our spec ops option isnt to shabby... thats if you can hang.. got any questions, just let me know. Good luck on your search..

Oh yeah, make sure you can pass the asvab and physical
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menametony View Post
I had a guy who was in the marines for 20 years and we talked a good 20 mins (while I was supposed to be working) and he was a drill instructer for like 8 of those years. he gave me a lot of info and told me to go to the recruiter office and check it out
Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menametony View Post

OP it depends what type of field you want to go into, every branch has its pros and cons.. if you want to be a combatant type army/marines i would do marines just because they are cooler.. the technical side i say navy.. i mean navy has their combatant side also.. our spec ops option isnt to shabby... thats if you can hang.. got any questions, just let me know. Good luck on your search..

Oh yeah, make sure you can pass the asvab and physical
what exactly is the asvab I was on the website and it touched on the subject but didn't really understand what it ment
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray View Post
I'm infantry 3 years in the army deployed to Iraq and got wounded there so I think I've experienced enough to know. I would choose the army because you choose what you do unlike the marines... Meant to vote different branch. My friend joined the service the same time as me and I chose infantry he chose marines. Long story short he is a truck driver for the marines
but couldn't that be because he lacked certain things to be say something else. not trying to sound like a dick
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Bray is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantryman 2-14IN
Name: Bray
Bray's Tacoma Gallery
You don't sound like a dick and I don't want to either nobody who joins know if they are cut out for it. I'm just sayin that in the army you pick infantry and that's what you are in the marines they choose for you, thats if you want to be infantry but this applies to anything
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
asvab is a test gauging certain areas of focus that they use to determine your mental capacity and use it to place you in certain areas or jobs
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #18

I'm not sure what I want to do. I def wouldn't be against taking out a towel head or 2
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Menametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud of

Navy: ET1(SW/AW), Recruiter @ NRS TriBeCa (NYC)
Menametony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Menametony
asvab = armed service vocational aptitude battery

if you dont score high enough you wont be able to join.. each branch has their own minimals.. and you're not shooting for minimals.. you want to blow it out of the water so that more jobs are available to you
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBasinTaco View Post
asvab is a test gauging certain areas of focus that they use to determine your mental capacity and use it to place you in certain areas or jobs

so you actually have to be smart?!?