LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Any Air Force Air Traffic Controllers on here?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Any Air Force Air Traffic Controllers on here?

soooo just got approved to retraining into ATC... any words of advice? things i should do beforehand? i was public health from 2006-2010, then E-3 sentry flight engineer from 2010- this past january.... i have alittle bit of experience with talking to tower... just mainly for wind calls and altimeter settings... but while studying in the engineer program, i would sit and listen to live ATC, some towers call the wind calls so damn fast....

anyway... looking for advise...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
BlacKRioT has a spectacular aura aboutBlacKRioT has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Air Traffic Controller
Name: Heston
BlacKRioT's Tacoma Gallery
LOL funny I seen this was looking at X-Runners....I'm ATC at Luke AFB...............I'm assuming your a e-5 close to getting e-6? its a little harder for you guys cause they give you less time to learn everything..due to you being Prior....I hope you have thick skin and have and a A-type personality. STUDY STUDY STUDY
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKRioT View Post
LOL funny I seen this was looking at X-Runners....I'm ATC at Luke AFB...............I'm assuming your a e-5 close to getting e-6? its a little harder for you guys cause they give you less time to learn everything..due to you being Prior....I hope you have thick skin and have and a A-type personality. STUDY STUDY STUDY
nope... just an E-4, right at my 6 year mark... i heard studying was the key.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
One of my best friends before he and I went to basic, picked up ATC.

He's a ATC down at vandenburg.

He loves his job (mainly because of the duty location)

He says the biggest heartache about his job is the stress. Its never ending.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
I work radar and train noobs at ZAB. 1/2 of the people I work with are ex-AF.

Learn your maps, read your .65 and local procedures manuals, and most important.... Keep your mouth shut and ears open while training, a veteran controller can teach you things you wouldn't think of on your own. Most trainees fail because they don't have the ability to think in 4D or they just think they know it all and wont learn.

And when you have a bad day, get over it fast. Learn from your bad days and you will be better for it. ATC is the best job in the world if you can hang.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post
I work radar and train noobs at ZAB. 1/2 of the people I work with are ex-AF.

Learn your maps, read your .65 and local procedures manuals, and most important.... Keep your mouth shut and ears open while training, a veteran controller can teach you things you wouldn't think of on your own. Most trainees fail because they don't have the ability to think in 4D or they just think they know it all and wont learn.

And when you have a bad day, get over it fast. Learn from your bad days and you will be better for it. ATC is the best job in the world if you can hang.
Ever work Sector 47 or 90 at ZAB? I used to be ATC at FHU (Libby) in the approach control...

Best job I ever had...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Ever work Sector 47 or 90 at ZAB? I used to be ATC at FHU (Libby) in the approach control...

Best job I ever had...
Nope. I border north of 90. Abq area.

Certainly the best job Eva!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #8

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Im stationed at Luke AFB work with PHX and ZAB 46 42 and 43.......37 and 39 as well
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Just Curious On how the cross training went? and if you are liking ATC
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Just Curious On how the cross training went? and if you are liking ATC
Still at kessler, I'm about a week into block 5 tower.... phaseology is a killer. I must admit that I washed back once in radar approch, then again in radar arrival. I'm not horrible at tower. Phaseology is the key, if you can get out exactly what you need to say when you need to say it, everything flows into place. Its pretty hard.... I graduate on the 5th if all goes as planned!

btw you were right about being thick skinned. I thought Air Crew was bad. they got nothing on some of these instructors....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

Yeah. Didn't work out. Washed out the first pc in the tower lab....just a bad day. 10 days before graduation. Well shit happens. Wasn't ment to be.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about ATC training. I'm on the other end as an aviator in the air talking to ATC and you're right, how everything is said and in what order is crucial to keeping everyone in the air safe.

So after washing out of engineer and ATC training, whats your plans? Going back to the medical field?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLikesTacos View Post
Sorry to hear about ATC training. I'm on the other end as an aviator in the air talking to ATC and you're right, how everything is said and in what order is crucial to keeping everyone in the air safe.

So after washing out of engineer and ATC training, whats your plans? Going back to the medical field?
Yep going back to public health
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
you didnt wash back? they washed you out? hmmm thats strange
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
you didnt wash back? they washed you out? hmmm thats strange
I was washed back twice, both in radar. Then I failed the tower PC.... all three components of it, ground local and assist.. I thought I was like top of the class untill the day before the PC, I just get nervous and mess everything up. Some people just don't work well under pressure like that. I'm sure if I had more time at it, if I was washed back again It would of been fine. But I can understand why you don't want a person like me as an air traffic controller.

But you never know what you can do untill you try, I gave it 120%, just wasn't ment to be.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
Yea that sucks......you really dont learn shit in tech school....LOL maybe the fundies......but the radar and tower shit.............ppppfffffttttttt
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Yea that sucks......you really dont learn shit in tech school....LOL maybe the fundies......but the radar and tower shit.............ppppfffffttttttt
Fundies was the only shit I was good at. Haha. Had a 92 average on the first two fundies blocks
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Robby655 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air traffic controller
Name: Rob
Robby655's Tacoma Gallery
old post, sorry to hear about training man... imho tech school was harder for me then being at my actual base almost washed out in radar lol... got tower at luke thank goodness!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby655 View Post
old post, sorry to hear about training man... imho tech school was harder for me then being at my actual base almost washed out in radar lol... got tower at luke thank goodness!
No worries. Shit happens. I'm back doing public Health at tinker.

I'm sure being a controller you heard about an airman Bradshaw at vance... He was in my tech school class. Shocking stuff.