Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Question about a bronze star...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Question about a bronze star...

Hey Everyone,
I'm not military, but I figured this would be a good place to start. My wife and I have in our possession a bronze star received by her grandfather. It was handed down to us through a series of family deaths and as such, we haven't gotten the story of how he received it. My question then is this: are records kept about recipients of medals and if so, is there a way to research a certain medal and find out what it was awarded for? It would be nice to have the backstory about him if possible. I thank you for your service and your assistance.

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Any luck finding some info on it?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleFool View Post
Any luck finding some info on it?
Not yet. Haven't had a lot of time this week to pursue it, but I did initiate contact with the link above...no response yet.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTupper View Post
Not yet. Haven't had a lot of time this week to pursue it, but I did initiate contact with the link above...no response yet.
Quick question... Do you know if he was Infantry in WWII???
Reason I ask is that, all Infantry in WWII that received a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) we're also supposed to receive a Bronze Star.
If he wasn't then, he must have done something pretty damn heroic in the war because they didn't hand those things out easily back then.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
White and Nerdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
Quick question... Do you know if he was Infantry in WWII???
Reason I ask is that, all Infantry in WWII that received a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) we're also supposed to receive a Bronze Star.
If he wasn't then, he must have done something pretty damn heroic in the war because they didn't hand those things out easily back then.
I'm not honestly sure...still don't have any good leads, but that gives me a good place to look. thanks! The whole reason we started investigating was that a Green Beret friend of ours pointed out their rarity then, as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTupper View Post
Hey Everyone,
I'm not military, but I figured this would be a good place to start. My wife and I have in our possession a bronze star received by her grandfather. It was handed down to us through a series of family deaths and as such, we haven't gotten the story of how he received it. My question then is this: are records kept about recipients of medals and if so, is there a way to research a certain medal and find out what it was awarded for? It would be nice to have the backstory about him if possible. I thank you for your service and your assistance.

Cheers!
Start here:
https://awards.navy.mil
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
AZ TXPRO is on a distinguished road
AZ TXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a write-up on the award somewhere.

Currently, citations are recorded and approved on a DA 638.

If you have a line on his DD 214 it would most likely be listed there as well.

Finally, a call to Human Resources Command (for whichever branch he was in) with his Social Sec. # might be a start.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
DevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDevilDogTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Police officer in MD and Marine in B Co 4th LAR Bn
DevilDogTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TXPRO View Post
There should be a write-up on the award somewhere.

Currently, citations are recorded and approved on a DA 638.

If you have a line on his DD 214 it would most likely be listed there as well.

Finally, a call to Human Resources Command (for whichever branch he was in) with his Social Sec. # might be a start.

Good luck!
this^

I know you can contact the Department of Defense or Department of Veterans' Affairs and obtain family members' service records for geneology purposes pretty easily.