1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SEAL Summer Training

Discussion in 'Military' started by NumNutz, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Last page for update!

First, I would like to prefix what I am about to say that I am NOT a SEAL. I am a senior in NROTC and I earned one of the few spots that they hand out to midshipmen to go to SEAL training over the summer for a month.

The training, Mini BUD/s:
    It's one month of them beating the crap out of you similar to BUD/s. Hundreds of miles of running, miles of swimming, and thousands of repetitions of every calisthenics exercise you can imagine. In between getting the crap beat out of me, I might get to do some pretty cool things, anywhere from fast roping out of helos to playing on the Mark V special operations craft (80+ mph speed boat), to doing some small unit tactics. They only selected 35 guys from around the country for anywhere from 15-25 slots, for those that don't quit over the month, they will be making cuts. My competition will be some pretty amazing athletes, studs in the classroom, and generally pretty well rounded.

The selection process started at the beginning of 2012. I submitted an application along with about 400-500 applicants. Out of that, 37 midshipmen were selected to participate in a SEAL Assessment Screener at the Naval Academy, which was basically two days of Hell Week, no sleep, no breaks, and constant physical activity. We ran about a marathon, rucked with 55lb packs everywhere we went, and did a lot of boat and log PT. Over those 48 hours the worst part was definitely "base tour." Base tour is a run around the compound about 5 miles with zodiacs on top of your head with 6 people per boat. We got to do all of the above wet and sandy as well, that sucked. Did I mention the water was 48*? We secured the weekend with 11 midshipmen. Kind of all a blur actually. By the end my whole body hurt. I had to put my mattress on the floor because I couldn't climb into my bed. Went to the hospital the next day and had found out I had stress fractured my hip (most likely from the rucking that I hadn't prepared my body for).

The purpose of this thread is simply motivation. I plan on posting my workouts everyday leading up to the day I leave for CA and what goes on during training everyday (within OPSEC or course). I might even be able to take some pictures! I am sure that by posting and hearing everyone's encouragement I will be successful. I either leave from training with a recommendation for selection or not. If I leave with a recommendation, I have about a 95% chance of being selected to go to BUD/s for the real deal. Not many officers get this chance. I am blessed with this opportunity... and cursed, cause this is gonna SUCK! Gotta embrace the suck!

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^Very Motivating^^^

2. May 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Ouch. Good luck sir. Your gonna need it.

3. May 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    jwj202

jwj202 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver TRD Offroad SR5
    Sounds brutal.. Goodluck!

4. May 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    mcaaron

mcaaron Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fallon, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco
    OME lift K&N Intake Flowmaster dual exhaust BFG MKII's
    See it as an opportunity to gain new appreciation for an elite group that surpasses their reputation.. I have not done this intense of training with them, but some SEALs have put on some open cessions on deployments i've been on with them, and it's the not one individual workout that gets ya, it's how fast they come one after another!

5. May 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I was going to say you're lucky this is happening this summer, but I see you've already got to deal with the sub-50 degree water.

So now all that's left is 100+ degree heat.
    Fortunately, it doesn't USUALLY get that hot out on San Clemente Island or along the coast, but it does get up there in some of the more inland parts of Camp Pendleton and even MCAS Miramar can get pretty warm.

Though with your luck, they might move training out to NAS El Centro ;)

Good luck Mang! I definitely don't (and never did) have what it takes.

6. May 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Sub'd! Good luck dude. I know its some rigorous shit.

7. May 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Just in case you have not visited his site, Mark Divine runs a good program and posts up free daily workouts, they are pretty brutal most of the time. www.sealfit.com

Good luck!

8. May 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Good luck shipmate. Sometimes I wish I did SWCC contract before I went to RTC and got into a 800 Division.

9. May 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    surferkid

surferkid Zombie Killer

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 2.7 5spd
    camper, thule board racks, wet okole seat covers, AFE dry filter, smittybilt light bar
    you sir are one lucky cat. that is the oppertunity of a lifetime! i would be stoked you got this. i always wanted to be pararescue(similar training as buds but more emphasis on the so others can live) so you are a hero already in my book man good luck! you got this

10. May 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +10,000

There is absolutely no disgrace in "washing out" (hate to use that term) from BUDS.

11. May 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    RyanLikesTacos

RyanLikesTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Charlotte, NC
    Good luck brother! Looks intense!

12. May 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Kick ass and take names.

13. May 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    You have an awesome opportunity!!!

Those Mk V boats are pretty intense. I was on one a few weeks ago. I went straight to the engine and hydraulics room and spent a lot of time in there. Very cool stuff. Very odd that there is no crapper. I also got to see the new boat...

Please be careful. These little mini camp events can be the kiss of death for your whole career. Go from 50 MPH to 120 in 2 seconds on physical output can result in a career ending injury so please be careful. Spec Ops is definitely a different path, but just do not let this cause you not to finish your academy training. Once you have that under your belt you can market that the rest of your life even in the private sector. Get put out because you blew a knee jacking around with a telephone pole will just suck in a big way. I have seen this happen time and time again so please be careful.

G

14. May 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    have fun! haha

15. May 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Thanks everyone. I truly do feel blessed having this opportunity. It is certainly something I won't squander.

Gadget, those boats are so bad ass. I hear for their size and power that they are pretty quiet as well. Hopefully I'll get to see first hand. I hear you on safety as well. I am hopefully preparing my body sufficiently for a beating, but I will not be quitting. It's either out the front door at the end or in a stretcher.

For those that don't know what we're talking about...

[​IMG]

Updated my WOD "workout of the day" in the first post.

16. May 21, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Good luck, I wish I went SF while I was in the Army. I would have been a perfect fit. That is my only regret while I was in..... since I got out I havent looked back though.

17. May 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I am def interested in checking out some of your training. I might be transferring within my career now and will be doing lots of physical training hopefully this summer. Now I am training for a PT test. Today I am doing a mock PT test, just pushups,situps, and run. I am doing that at 4pm and I will probably end up doing 2 of them and then more training tomorrow morning focusing on abs- situps,flutter kicks supe pine bicycles etc and the run...I have less then 2 weeks....

18. May 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Updated up top!

I have taken many PSTs (SEAL fitness tests) and one of the keys is learning the test.

I don't know what is involved in your fitness test, but make sure you practice the test a few times like you're doing. Also, make sure you take 2-3 days of complete rest before the test.

19. May 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Very simply my pt test is 1 minute of situps,as many pushups as you can do, and a 1.5 mile run. I know it is a simple test. I have to reach 70% on each event. Which for my age group is 38 situps ( I am pushing for 48 95%), 30 pushups ( I am pushing for 45 which is 90%), and 1.5 mile run in 12:04 ( I am pushing for 11:16 which is 80%). I am really only worried about the run, it has been raining and I have been working weird hours lately. I am going to the gym on Thus morning at 5 am and Fri morning at 5 am for mainly cardi and running with some ab workouts included. I only found out about the test 7 days ago. I should have already been in shape. I am not out of shape just not pt test shape. I know it is a fairly simple pt test and I should be in shape. I am mainly in functional fitness shape not in true pt form good shape if you know what I mean. I hope that you guys understand.........

20. May 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have 13 days now and I know that I need to include a couple of days off. I am sure that I am stressing out for nothing but I have a lot riding on this pt test. BTW I am not trying to sabotage this thread, sorry guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top