Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

SEAL Summer Training

Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
SEAL Summer Training

Last page for update!

First, I would like to prefix what I am about to say that I am NOT a SEAL. I am a senior in NROTC and I earned one of the few spots that they hand out to midshipmen to go to SEAL training over the summer for a month.

The training, Mini BUD/s:
It's one month of them beating the crap out of you similar to BUD/s. Hundreds of miles of running, miles of swimming, and thousands of repetitions of every calisthenics exercise you can imagine. In between getting the crap beat out of me, I might get to do some pretty cool things, anywhere from fast roping out of helos to playing on the Mark V special operations craft (80+ mph speed boat), to doing some small unit tactics. They only selected 35 guys from around the country for anywhere from 15-25 slots, for those that don't quit over the month, they will be making cuts. My competition will be some pretty amazing athletes, studs in the classroom, and generally pretty well rounded.

The selection process started at the beginning of 2012. I submitted an application along with about 400-500 applicants. Out of that, 37 midshipmen were selected to participate in a SEAL Assessment Screener at the Naval Academy, which was basically two days of Hell Week, no sleep, no breaks, and constant physical activity. We ran about a marathon, rucked with 55lb packs everywhere we went, and did a lot of boat and log PT. Over those 48 hours the worst part was definitely "base tour." Base tour is a run around the compound about 5 miles with zodiacs on top of your head with 6 people per boat. We got to do all of the above wet and sandy as well, that sucked. Did I mention the water was 48*? We secured the weekend with 11 midshipmen. Kind of all a blur actually. By the end my whole body hurt. I had to put my mattress on the floor because I couldn't climb into my bed. Went to the hospital the next day and had found out I had stress fractured my hip (most likely from the rucking that I hadn't prepared my body for).

The purpose of this thread is simply motivation. I plan on posting my workouts everyday leading up to the day I leave for CA and what goes on during training everyday (within OPSEC or course). I might even be able to take some pictures! I am sure that by posting and hearing everyone's encouragement I will be successful. I either leave from training with a recommendation for selection or not. If I leave with a recommendation, I have about a 95% chance of being selected to go to BUD/s for the real deal. Not many officers get this chance. I am blessed with this opportunity... and cursed, cause this is gonna SUCK! Gotta embrace the suck!

Here are some pictures:

^^^Very Motivating^^^
Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
jwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of lightjwj202 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Joey
jwj202's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds brutal.. Goodluck!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
mcaaron is a glorious beacon of lightmcaaron is a glorious beacon of lightmcaaron is a glorious beacon of lightmcaaron is a glorious beacon of lightmcaaron is a glorious beacon of lightmcaaron is a glorious beacon of light

Navy:
Name: Aaron
mcaaron's Tacoma Gallery
See it as an opportunity to gain new appreciation for an elite group that surpasses their reputation.. I have not done this intense of training with them, but some SEALs have put on some open cessions on deployments i've been on with them, and it's the not one individual workout that gets ya, it's how fast they come one after another!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to say you're lucky this is happening this summer, but I see you've already got to deal with the sub-50 degree water.

So now all that's left is 100+ degree heat.
Fortunately, it doesn't USUALLY get that hot out on San Clemente Island or along the coast, but it does get up there in some of the more inland parts of Camp Pendleton and even MCAS Miramar can get pretty warm.

Though with your luck, they might move training out to NAS El Centro

Good luck Mang! I definitely don't (and never did) have what it takes.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd! Good luck dude. I know its some rigorous shit.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Just in case you have not visited his site, Mark Divine runs a good program and posts up free daily workouts, they are pretty brutal most of the time. www.sealfit.com

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck shipmate. Sometimes I wish I did SWCC contract before I went to RTC and got into a 800 Division.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Zombie Killer
surferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of light

EMS: EMT
surferkid's Tacoma Gallery
you sir are one lucky cat. that is the oppertunity of a lifetime! i would be stoked you got this. i always wanted to be pararescue(similar training as buds but more emphasis on the so others can live) so you are a hero already in my book man good luck! you got this
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferkid View Post
you sir are one lucky cat. that is the oppertunity of a lifetime! i would be stoked you got this. i always wanted to be pararescue(similar training as buds but more emphasis on the so others can live) so you are a hero already in my book man good luck! you got this
+10,000

There is absolutely no disgrace in "washing out" (hate to use that term) from BUDS.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
RyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanLikesTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1Lt, C-130 Navigator
Name: Ryan
RyanLikesTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck brother! Looks intense!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
You have an awesome opportunity!!!

Those Mk V boats are pretty intense. I was on one a few weeks ago. I went straight to the engine and hydraulics room and spent a lot of time in there. Very cool stuff. Very odd that there is no crapper. I also got to see the new boat...

Please be careful. These little mini camp events can be the kiss of death for your whole career. Go from 50 MPH to 120 in 2 seconds on physical output can result in a career ending injury so please be careful. Spec Ops is definitely a different path, but just do not let this cause you not to finish your academy training. Once you have that under your belt you can market that the rest of your life even in the private sector. Get put out because you blew a knee jacking around with a telephone pole will just suck in a big way. I have seen this happen time and time again so please be careful.

G
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
have fun! haha
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone. I truly do feel blessed having this opportunity. It is certainly something I won't squander.

Gadget, those boats are so bad ass. I hear for their size and power that they are pretty quiet as well. Hopefully I'll get to see first hand. I hear you on safety as well. I am hopefully preparing my body sufficiently for a beating, but I will not be quitting. It's either out the front door at the end or in a stretcher.

For those that don't know what we're talking about...

Updated my WOD "workout of the day" in the first post.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am def interested in checking out some of your training. I might be transferring within my career now and will be doing lots of physical training hopefully this summer. Now I am training for a PT test. Today I am doing a mock PT test, just pushups,situps, and run. I am doing that at 4pm and I will probably end up doing 2 of them and then more training tomorrow morning focusing on abs- situps,flutter kicks supe pine bicycles etc and the run...I have less then 2 weeks....
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Updated up top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
I am def interested in checking out some of your training. I might be transferring within my career now and will be doing lots of physical training hopefully this summer. Now I am training for a PT test. Today I am doing a mock PT test, just pushups,situps, and run. I am doing that at 4pm and I will probably end up doing 2 of them and then more training tomorrow morning focusing on abs- situps,flutter kicks supe pine bicycles etc and the run...I have less then 2 weeks....
I have taken many PSTs (SEAL fitness tests) and one of the keys is learning the test.

I don't know what is involved in your fitness test, but make sure you practice the test a few times like you're doing. Also, make sure you take 2-3 days of complete rest before the test.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Very simply my pt test is 1 minute of situps,as many pushups as you can do, and a 1.5 mile run. I know it is a simple test. I have to reach 70% on each event. Which for my age group is 38 situps ( I am pushing for 48 95%), 30 pushups ( I am pushing for 45 which is 90%), and 1.5 mile run in 12:04 ( I am pushing for 11:16 which is 80%). I am really only worried about the run, it has been raining and I have been working weird hours lately. I am going to the gym on Thus morning at 5 am and Fri morning at 5 am for mainly cardi and running with some ab workouts included. I only found out about the test 7 days ago. I should have already been in shape. I am not out of shape just not pt test shape. I know it is a fairly simple pt test and I should be in shape. I am mainly in functional fitness shape not in true pt form good shape if you know what I mean. I hope that you guys understand.........