Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Thoughts on "Battleship"???

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ship Serviceman 3rd Class
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on "Battleship"???

So i just got done watching the new movie "Battleship" and I am blown away at how inaccurate and unrealistic it is. I mean, i know it's just a movie but DAMN! They f'd up so much it was completely unbelievable for anyone who has any knowledge about the Navy or ships in general. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was a horrible movie as well. If not for the great special effects and stuff blowing up non-stop, I probably couldn't have sat through it all.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Name: Bill
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
Hollywierd has to, by law, screw a lot of things up in a fictional portrayal of the military. The only time they are allowed to be fairly accurate is when they are portraying real events and people.

And they usually screw that up, too.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen it but I know it has Phalanx in it. Being a former Phalanx tech and now a Phalanx engineer, I could care less to see it. LoL

I do hear its absolutely horrible though.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I lked it. My fiance asked me not to turn our movie veiwing expirience into a lecture prior to seeing it. I did spot alot of innacuracies, and being a machinist mate that worked with 1200# steam boilers, you don't just start those things up in a few minutes like they did. And the fuck up dude wouldn't have made LT that fast for damn sure, let alone be the weapons officer of a fire control system on a destroyer. But it was an entertaining movie.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting ready to take my 10yo son to see this movie today. I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure he'll like it.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the movie was good. Lots of action and explosions. Glad I know nothing about Navy ships etc or the movie probably would have been a disappointment. Just a civilian opinion.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
From a movie aspect I liked it. It was entertaining. But being a vet or active duty is a curse for seeing military movies. You will always spot inconsistencies and inaccuracies. I have to tell myself before seeing this type of movie that I'm not going to make it a big deal when I see it, or the entire experience is ruined.

The worse part of the movie for me was Rhianna's character. She's a jack of all trades in the movie. Going out on the zodiac to investigate the unknown structure in the water, then she's doing security looking for an alien on the ship. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Is there anything this woman couldn't do? They should have left with her trying out for the SEALS.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
The only things I had a really hard time not being able to get over was all the problems with using the Mighty Mo...

The last time it was used was in the early 90s...Not the 40s
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
From the previews I could tell it would be crap. Actually though, most movies are now crap so I rarely ever go see one now. I think the last movie I saw was Transformers 3 but that was for a few reasons. First, it was in 3-D and I was curious what a modern 3-D movie looked like now days instead of having the red and blue glasses on. Next, my kids were with me and they like the Transformer movies so I wanted to do something with them that they would like and third, Transformers is kind of close to me because I grew up on the Gen 1 toys and cartoons but going into that movie and I knew there would be tons of fake crap and I was right.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Completely unrealistic - it wasn't ANYTHING like the game!!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
gayest movie since broke back mountain.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
yes, having spent a few months on air craft carriers and other ships many of the things done in the movie are complete "WTF?! That's impossible" moments.

I likes the action though. Then again "the avengers" and all the other comic based movies are also completely unrealistic, but people over look that when talking about "avengers" haha

but since this movie isn't like the comic book based movies, in the aspect that many people really look forward to seeing their childhood cartoon characters come "to life," this movie only has a board game to back it up. Haha and that left way more room to play with, in terms of story line.

crap, typing all that on a phone seems like I'm trying to type a phucking essay. Hahaha, ima go see a physical therapist about my hook thumb now...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
People, it was a movie about aliens!! How realistic are aliens?

It was about entertainment. Had they been trying to be historically accurate, yeah, that is an issue.

And none of you mention that a Battleship decommissioned years ago can be fired up and still have weapons on board? Come on people..

I am waiting for the USAF to come out with something that is not uber gay. You guys get this plus others and we get Iron Eagle!! Quit your bitching!

And I am not at all surprised that none of you mentioned how hot the blonder chick was...why does the AF always have to come to y'all's rescue when it comes to that?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
PVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
If it wasn't for the special effects, it would have been pretty bad.

Apparently I joined the wrong service since you can make LT in the Navy in the span of a couple months.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i liked it. i know very very little about those kinda ships. but i even said WTF alot! lol. i have been on one.i was on the Yorktown like2 1/2 3 weeks ago. lol

i know i said WTF when they dropped the one anchor and turned.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
People, it was a movie about aliens!! How realistic are aliens?

It was about entertainment. Had they been trying to be historically accurate, yeah, that is an issue.

And none of you mention that a Battleship decommissioned years ago can be fired up and still have weapons on board? Come on people..

I am waiting for the USAF to come out with something that is not uber gay. You guys get this plus others and we get Iron Eagle!! Quit your bitching!

And I am not at all surprised that none of you mentioned how hot the blonder chick was...why does the AF always have to come to y'all's rescue when it comes to that?
yeah i new the hole decommissioned ship donít have live rounds. that was fucked up. at least act ike they had to get them or something...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
enjoyed it. didnt expect to go see a documentary. went to see aliens gettin blown up by ships with big guns. nothing more
Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
enjoyed it. didnt expect to go see a documentary. went to see aliens gettin blown up by ships with big guns. nothing more
This is the mindset I try to have on most military movies anymore.