1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Navy Corpsman out there? Civilian Paramedic here!

Discussion in 'Military' started by TacoMX, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX [OP] TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Hello....

I have always considered joining the military since I graduated HS...almost joined the Army...now I am looking at the Navy...

I am currently a Civilian Paramedic, certified in FL (Not NREMT-P) and I am curious if a civilian paramedic could successfully be a Navy Corpsman or any other related job in the Navy.

I have been a civilian medic for 4 months now and Love it....I never would consider leaving the medical field, and I am also considering going to school to be an RN.

The reason why I am looking in other directions now is because EMS is dying in Florida. Most Fire departments are taking transports now, and the company I work for in Orlando is losing the 911 contract to Orlando fire this october....so no more 911 calls :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(

EMS providers are looked down upon around here unless you are a Fire medic...we get no respect from the Fire departments or the public...we are just "amberlamps drivers."

I was fire II certified, right now I need to recert, but Its very hard to find a job as a FF around here, especially in the current economical climate.

Plus I am not sure if I want to pursue the fire side anymore.

Any suggestions from anyone out there?

I love the job, just not where it seems to be heading around here.

2. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I think you should get your BS in nursing, then apply to one of the services for a commission as a medical officer.

3. Jun 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Hmm...that's something I haven't considered. I will add that to the list. Thanks man!

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    Getting your BS is all fine and dandy, but honestly, I think most Docs would agree, being attached to an infantry unit is probably the most satisfying job anyone in a Naval medical occupation could do. If you do this, consider going enlisted, becoming a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman and serving with the grunts. Then get your commission. Just my dos pesos, ultimately it's your life, do what you think would make you happy. BTW, I think your training as Paramedic would serve you very well as a Corpsman. Good Luck!

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    if you want to join, then do it. otherwise you'll regret it later in life... i guarantee it.

as a side note, just to explore all medic opportunities the military has to offer, look into USAF Pararesuce (i did this in the AF). It's Air Force special tactics, combat search and rescue. All PJ's are paramedics, and much more.

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    If you go in as an enlisted and do very well on the ASVAB you can possibly qualify to be a Corpsman. Just depends on what Ratings are open at the time you go to MEPs. Good luck!

7. Jun 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    I'd say consider the RN, good friend of mine works in the ER and loves it! Didn't have any issues finding a job out of college and gets paid pretty good. Not to talk you out of serving but I'd recomend school than going in as a officer if you want to serve.
    Good luck with your decision.

8. Jun 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    RN is definitely what I plan to do eventually...not sure if its going to be sooner or later.

I am trying to get on with a 911 only ambulance company locally that pays very well and has state retirement...so I will be set if I am with them for 20-25 years, then retire....then pursue something else. (I am only 21)

I am also going to get my firefighter cert updated and current and try to get a job as a FF/medic now that I have some experience.

Joining one of the armed services is something I think I have always wanted to do....But i am not 100% sure yet if I can be committed to it 100%..so I still have some thinking to do.

9. Jun 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    If you are not 100% committed, do not waste your time or ours. You will have a miserable time if you are not all in.

10. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    thats why I am not sure yet...;)

11. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    I was a Corpsman with a Marine Infantry unit and now currently a paramedic. The only problem with being a corpsman is that your a glorified emt I. You pretty much do basic emt skills and will hardly ever use any of your ALS stuff. Though if the doctor trusts you he will show you how to do some cool stuff. But when it comes down to it you will be using less skills for sure and will probably get pretty rusty. You could also try to go to IDC school after becoming a corpsman which is like PA but would have to be a corpsman for a while before you apply I believe.

12. Jun 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    thanks for your input man.

I am already getting pretty rusty now. I probably only run 1-2 emergency calls a week where I am using ALS skills. Very rarely do I ever do anything truly ALS. Usually just run of the mill monitor/IV BS ALS calls.

13. Jun 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    Yeah, we run typical BS all week too. As a corpsman you will be dealing with fevers, rashs, colds, and the occasional heat exhaustion. So pretty boring stuff but your taking care of your guys at least and not random people.

14. Jun 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity

That would get boring. I average 6-8 calls a night during my 4 roatations

15. Jun 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    I would vote for getting your RN and then consider joining. Better life, better assignments, good chances to expand your skills.

16. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    very boring....

but two 911 shifts just went up on the board for bid...so hopefully I can get one of them :)

17. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    This. Or you'll be a vitals-tech at a clinic somewhere. You can do cool stuff and have a good time in the military, but you may just be stuck in some shitty area doing a job you hate too. Not every corpsman is a high-speed, Afghan-located, life-saving bad ass. You might end up an Xray tech, lab tech, pharmacy tech, dental tech, psych tech, etc ... Despite what Andrew8404 said, you may very well end up taking care of lots of dependents if you're not attached to ship or FMF unit.

Also, a RN is useless for the military. Need to be a BSN. And, it's NURSE corps, not "medical officer" to Tacomathom. MO's are physicians.

18. Jul 23, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I'll throw in my .02

I am a former enlisted Marine. My mother retired as a Lt. Col. She was a nurse with the California Air National Guard. The air guard is the best kept secret in the military. She never regretted a day of her service. Back then (1960s) most nursing schools were 3 years and the military saw it as a position which garnered immediate commission. In today's military the Navy/Air Force (and Air Guard) require a BSN for a commission. Last I heard the Army only required an RN for an officers slot.

I work as a radiologic technologist (xray tech) and have worked with a couple Physician Assistants (PAs) who were commissioned officers in the Navy. One of which did tours in Afghanistan and was close to the shit. If that is your desire I would look into that too.

I've leaned a lot here about getting a commission. Both my parents were officers and my brother and I enlisted. Go for the stars and bars. It is a better quality of life while you serve. If you're in the Air Force/Navy it will be even better. If you enlist in an air guard unit as a medic/emt while you get your BSN that unit will most likely either hold a slot or make one for you when you do get your BSN. Just some things to think about. I don't know if the Air Force uses PAs but it would be a good question for a recruiter. Don't trust them too much though.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top