Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Army ditching their new unis?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #61
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
I'm surprise DOA spent that much on the ACU's. It has more cons than pros. velcro, pattern, ain't that durable compare to the BDU's of the yesteryear.
Just got the NWU 3s and I have to say they are a drastic improvement coming from our standard ODUs. Why the Coast Guard can't get on the same program as everyone else is anyone's guess.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #62
Never LBS
Molon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SFC 11B40B4
Molon Labe's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I have not read all the posts here but this was a hot topic before I retired 3 weeks ago.

Not sure its been said but here is the skinny that I was briefed on:
The Army designed the current Marine uniforms and decided against them because the goal was one uniform for every environment (a goal that I think is impossible). When the Army decided against the uniform they gave it to the Marines who fielded it first. The army then reviewed hundreds of patterns (including MultiCam) and finalized on 9 patterns. The ACU was one of these patterns and is a knock off of the Canadian Pattern (CadPat). For whatever reason they decided on the ACU and everyone I know has hated it ever since.
Special Operations is not constrained by the ACU uniform and has worn whatever we needed for many years. After employing MultiCam in both Iraq and Afghanistan, big army decided to follow suite and that is why it was fielded in Afghanistan specifically.

Currently the Army has decided on a three pattern system that will be fielded. The "woodland" looking pattern will be the normal duty uniform and the other two patterns will only be fielded for deploying units in the environmental that the other two patterns are designed for. I do not have any pictures of the uniforms but I will say they are a ton better than the ACU. I personally am partial to the ATACS FG, but I also understand that there is no real solution to a single pattern for every environment.

Well that is all that I know and now that I am out of the loop I don't expect to receive any more information. I guess I will just have to wait and see what gets announced.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #63
soldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
soldierguy's Tacoma Gallery
I got back from Afghanistan a few months ago, and wore the multicam there.

Overall, I liked it...MUCH better than the ACU, which blends into nothing except for a flowered couch. Less velcro, more buttons, and generally more durable. However, there are a few negatives:

- The boots that we were issued with the multicam were not comfortable at all...unbelievably hot, and very inflexible. They were the right size, but if I moved my feet at all (as in walking), I'd get blisters. Even after trying to break them in for a couple months before deployment, I ended up going back to the regular tan suede boots.

- The tan suede boots are comfortable, but get oil, grease, or blood on them and they're done. I have a pair that I wear when I ride my motorcycle to work...the left boot has a permanent black mark from my shifter. No amount of scrubbing will get stains out.

- The multicam pattern is good, but like the ACUs, the colors fade very quickly when subjected to the bleached dirty water that's typically used to wash them on most outposts. My multicams quickly looked like I had been washing them in teabags.

- MORE CROTCH REINFORCEMENTS!!! The bleach weakens the fabric and they blow out crotches all the time. It's more than a little uncomfortable to be sitting down, talking to your Afghan counterpart, and suddenly realize that things are feeling a little breezy downstairs.

- Reinforcement is needed where the top rear of the thigh pocket attaches to the pantleg. Again, likely due to the bleached water, the fabric weakens, and before you know it you're flashing thigh/a$$ to some Afghan dude wearing eyeliner and nail polish. Yes, I know the eyeliner & dyed nails are cultural things, but I'd rather not flash my a$$ at people....unless I like ya!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #64
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Baboons flash their asses as a sign of dominance or to attract mates
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #65
Never LBS
Molon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SFC 11B40B4
Molon Labe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
- MORE CROTCH REINFORCEMENTS!!! The bleach weakens the fabric and they blow out crotches all the time. It's more than a little uncomfortable to be sitting down, talking to your Afghan counterpart, and suddenly realize that things are feeling a little breezy downstairs.

- Reinforcement is needed where the top rear of the thigh pocket attaches to the pantleg. Again, likely due to the bleached water, the fabric weakens, and before you know it you're flashing thigh/a$$ to some Afghan dude wearing eyeliner and nail polish. Yes, I know the eyeliner & dyed nails are cultural things, but I'd rather not flash my a$$ at people....unless I like ya!
Soldierguy, I agree but I think the real issue is not the fabric or how it is misused.
The army decided on the ACU cut (style not pattern) long before they picked the pattern. I dislike the cut and feel the BDU to be superior minus the shoulder pockets.

I remember using my units RFI funds to send our DCUs to SpecWarGear.com to have them modified to be more functional and reinforce the belt loops and seat (Raid BDU System). http://www.specwargear.com/

Actually, Crye Precision designed more than the MultiCam pattern, they designed a combat uniform that is superior to both the ACU and BDU cut.
http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCP...Pants%E2%84%A2

My ACUs and my MultiCam ACU cut uniforms have all experienced failures in the seat as well as rips in the knees and on the sides of the lower leg (from snags). All the sets of Crye combat pants that I have are still servicable and in good condition. I feel the Army did not want to spend the additional costs for the combat uniform cut. Also, I am sure some cubical dwelling bean counter felt that the combat pants with exterior knee pads would not look good in garrison.

Crye also designed one hell of a body armor system, but again, it cost too much for the military to spend per Soldier.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #66
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I like those G3 pants. Admin would like them too.... for obvious reasons.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #67
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
one pattern for woodland, one pattern for desert, and all the branches wear it w/ insignias in the same places....too easy? screw traditions and how things used to be. we're all supposed to be one team and one fight.
This.

WTF? Almost any swinging dick that doesn't have a bird or star on their collar would probably tell you the same thing. We all bleed red.

yeah, waste of money time and effort. The geniuses that came up with this ACU nonsence should be held accountable.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #68
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
This.

WTF? Almost any swinging dick that doesn't have a bird or star on their collar would probably tell you the same thing. We all bleed red.

yeah, waste of money time and effort. The geniuses that came up with this ACU nonsence should be held accountable.
I'm sure the decision had absolutly nothing to do with a Senator/Congressman up for re election and one of the companies or factories was in their district and the decision was based on them providing more jobs, not what was best for the Army. Because that never happens.

Its actually really sad that inferior products are supplied to the guys on the ground. Its just unacceptable.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #69
Reeves is on a distinguished road

Army: 2/16
Reeves's Tacoma Gallery
Multicam. Its the best pattern yet, yes it fades but with that it blends with sand even more. They have just about every piece of equipment in this patten already so lets stick with it. Garrison and Over seas. Im stacking up on uniforms through ADO so maybe they pick it as Garison uniform if not then i have plenty for hunting. And not to mention changing th ASU's again....
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #70
0369 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Grunt
Name: Staff Sergeant
0369's Tacoma Gallery
Lets face it, the "Big Army" has been full of bad decisions for a long time. Ive been on both sides of the fence, Active USMC and now Army Naty Guard. Deployed with both and am just amazed how different the two are. It starts from the top and you just cant fix stupid!!!! Dont get me wrong, I love the Military, been doing this for a long time, but.....the Army has way too many chiefs. Joe knows!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #71
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0369 View Post
Lets face it, the "Big Army" has been full of bad decisions for a long time. Ive been on both sides of the fence, Active USMC and now Army Naty Guard. Deployed with both and am just amazed how different the two are. It starts from the top and you just cant fix stupid!!!! Dont get me wrong, I love the Military, been doing this for a long time, but.....the Army has way too many chiefs. Joe knows!!!
I did some medical training with the Army before my last deployment. As a active duty Corpsman all i can say is that i pick the right service. Im not saying the Army training is bad, it can however be better.

Oh and i didn't mind the ACU to much after i got used to it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #72
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Yes, Afghanistan only. That makes it a little easier on me

Intersting. I dont know how the ordering system works but where we get our gear from the army wont let us oder the stock numbers we need on certain gear.

There is suppose to be lightweight ABU's coming out. Im sure they will be backordered forever.

The summer weight ABUs are already out. I have had a pair for about 3 months now. They are only being sold at 10 bases across the country. I picked mine up at Eglin AFB. It is like wearing BDUs again.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #73
Slow lane cruiser
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF Firefighter gone legit
Name: Another Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the last part has it pretty summed up....

According to insiders, the design was selected after the Marines had switched to an eye-catching pixel-driven pattern. "That's what this really comes down to," the editor of Soldier Systems Daily said. "'We can't allow the Marine Corps to look more cool than the Army.'"

same reason the AF changed to their hawaiian shirt tiger stripe. i think the reason no one could use the same pattern as the marines was b/c they patented it and had the eagle/globe/anchor built into the pattern. the fact that everyone tries to be better than the next is killing the "uniformity" of the military.

one pattern for woodland, one pattern for desert, and all the branches wear it w/ insignias in the same places....too easy? screw traditions and how things used to be. we're all supposed to be one team and one fight.
My exact thoughts... After spending some time in OCP uniform I like the uniformity of all branches wearing the same uniform with rank in the same spot. I like the chest pockets on the OCP too, way more useful than the AF stateside uniforms.