Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Army ditching their new unis?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Army ditching their new unis?

http://now.msn.com/now/0625-new-army-uniforms.aspx

Just saw this on msn.com.....$5billion wasted what a freakin joke, and that doesnt include how much the AF and Navy have wasted on their camo. Why didn't they use the same as the Marines when they did it first?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
It took them 8 years to figure out a camo pattern doesn't work?!?! I could have figured that out in 5 minutes by having someone go hide in a field and then looking for him...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the last part has it pretty summed up....

According to insiders, the design was selected after the Marines had switched to an eye-catching pixel-driven pattern. "That's what this really comes down to," the editor of Soldier Systems Daily said. "'We can't allow the Marine Corps to look more cool than the Army.'"

same reason the AF changed to their hawaiian shirt tiger stripe. i think the reason no one could use the same pattern as the marines was b/c they patented it and had the eagle/globe/anchor built into the pattern. the fact that everyone tries to be better than the next is killing the "uniformity" of the military.

one pattern for woodland, one pattern for desert, and all the branches wear it w/ insignias in the same places....too easy? screw traditions and how things used to be. we're all supposed to be one team and one fight.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post

same reason the AF changed to their hawaiian shirt tiger stripe. i think the reason no one could use the same pattern as the marines was b/c they patented it and had the eagle/globe/anchor built into the pattern. the fact that everyone tries to be better than the next is killing the "uniformity" of the military.

one pattern for woodland, one pattern for desert, and all the branches wear it w/ insignias in the same places....too easy? screw traditions and how things used to be. we're all supposed to be one team and one fight.

I get to order uniforms for AF people deploying and this uniform of the day crap is really annoying

We are ording the OCP's (multicams) right now but the army has a lock down on most of the gear so all we can get is the uniform tops, bottoms, hats, and tan boots. we cant get helmet covers, gortex, body armor, any MOLLE gear... its a PITA.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

google image "multicam comparison" and you can see how shitty the ABU, ACU really is. I would post a link to the image but the sites are blocked at work
Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I get to order uniforms for AF people deploying and this uniform of the day crap is really annoying

We are ording the OCP's (multicams) right now but the army has a lock down on most of the gear so all we can get is the uniform tops, bottoms, hats, and tan boots. we cant get helmet covers, gortex, body armor, any MOLLE gear... its a PITA.
multicam for AF is only for people going to afghanistan though, right? i still wore ABUs in Kuwait last year.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

the funny thing is the Army doesnt even have the patent on multicams , its actually Crye Precision who does. I just hope we dont go to that snake skin looking camoflauge
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I guess this means we (the AF) will be getting new ABUs in the next few years. Maybe they won't be made of winter weight material!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
I guess this means we (the AF) will be getting new ABUs in the next few years. Maybe they won't be made of winter weight material!
the first 2 sets i have also have a map pocket on both inside flaps of the blouse. talk about wasted space and added weight.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure if u know, but the AF came out w/ authorized summer weights last month.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
multicam for AF is only for people going to afghanistan though, right? i still wore ABUs in Kuwait last year.
Yes, Afghanistan only. That makes it a little easier on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
the funny thing is the Army doesnt even have the patent on multicams , its actually Crye Precision who does. I just hope we dont go to that snake skin looking camoflauge
Intersting. I dont know how the ordering system works but where we get our gear from the army wont let us oder the stock numbers we need on certain gear.

Quote:

There is suppose to be lightweight ABU's coming out. Im sure they will be backordered forever.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

According to insiders, the design was selected after the Marines had switched to an eye-catching pixel-driven pattern. "That's what this really comes down to," the editor of Soldier Systems Daily said. "'We can't allow the Marine Corps to look more cool than the Army.'"

... A voice of reason +1. Exactly right... a huge and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars. Someone's pocket's are getting lined with kickbacks.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
There is suppose to be lightweight ABU's coming out. Im sure they will be backordered forever.
and the guard will see them around 2020.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
OldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud ofOldFatGuy has much to be proud of

Army: USMC 79-85 / USCG 87-89 / Army 89-12 / Retired E-8 on 07/31/12
Name: Robert
OldFatGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever designed the current ACU (Army Combat Uniform) must have spent their entire Army career in an air conditioned cubical as an Admin Puke. Let's follow the Marine Corps lead. They clearly have someone better making their decisions. This is just one 1SG's opinion.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
... A voice of reason +1. Exactly right... a huge and unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars. Someone's pocket's are getting lined with kickbacks.
we have always said this at work. Some congressman/politician is making bank somewhere by selling all these new uniforms

Quote:
and the guard will see them around 2020.
the next time they are on post
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
the next time they are on post
ppsshh...just left anacostia-bolling on the 15th it really does take forever for us to get anything in, especially anything that's new and needs to be issued to EVERYONE.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
ppsshh...just left anacostia-bolling on the 15th it really does take forever for us to get anything in, especially anything that's new and needs to be issued to EVERYONE.

I think this goes for the entire AF. I guess there is new body armor that we are suppose to be issuing to the cops but we havent seen any of them yet.

Members are suppose to get all the multicam MOLLE gear, mag pouches, QD slings and all kinds of other sweet gear but the vendors were not ready for all the orders so people are going downrange without the stuff they need. And the units are too cheap to use unit funds to "make it happen".

Meanwhile our squadron got all new toilet paper roll holders with the AF logo on them
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #19
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
any other sources on this? I checked Army Times online, nothing.

I mean, I support it, and lord knows probably every soldier and airman does. Pick up MC, or go to ADACS, or something. Make it DOD wide, like the BDU was. Stop with this branch-specific nonsence.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Meanwhile our squadron got all new toilet paper roll holders with the AF logo on them
we spend more time on the shitter than in the field anyways...