Notices

Serious question about a military career/current job

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
wtrg20 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Staff Sergeant
Name: William
wtrg20's Tacoma Gallery
Do it!

I have been active duty in the Marines for almost 11 years and cant think of anything else i would rather be doing! i have circumnavigated the globe, seen 12 different countries and so much more then i would have ever done if i stayed at home working for the metal fabrication company i was working for. The Marine Corps has machinist jobs available if you want to continue doing that. You will get all the required training and all the experience you can handle. Now the Marine Corps is for everyone but as long as you can do it for 4 years it will benefit you in ways you cant imagine!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
CDNMatt is on a distinguished road
CDNMatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
I can usually find positives in almost every situation I'm in. The work I do now our bosses have plenty of say in what we do and how we do it. I don't think I'd have a problem with someone else having that much control over me. I'd enjoy doing a job that you can't really do as a civilian like being in the infantry. On the same token I'd enjoy doing something technical like working on aircraft...planes, helos. Or somethig else of that nature. Something that could possibly transfer over as a civilian. I dont know what i could qualify for. I got my job right out of highschool and i havent been to college. Id like traveling and seeing all different places. The amount of jobs in the military is pretty overwhelming.
My experience is with the Canadian military so take it for what it's worth. I would highly recommend joining the infantry with the understanding that most people do not feel like making a career out of that life. I joined at 22, spent five years in the infantry, had one tour before I decided to try something else in the military. I don't in any way regret my time there but by the time I left it was definitely time for me to leave. I'm currently six weeks from the end of my medic training and may, in about six months have some insight into the medic life.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
The second smartest thing I have done so far (#1 was marrying my wife) was joining the Navy. I got a chance to see much of the world and got some excellent technical training. A bonus was the GI Bill, which helped with college expenses after I got out. I would advise going for it, but don't re-enlist before your first hitch is over and you are sure that the military offers the life you want to live.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
AZ TXPRO is on a distinguished road
AZ TXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
you said this: "For the experience, to see different places, to serve my country, etc."

then said this: "It's hard for me to justify leaving my job to go in"

is that not a good enough justifcation???? Not gonna get that working at the shop......go for it man.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
My #1 regret was not joining. If I could do it all over i would in a heart beat. do it. it sucks to live with "I WISH I HAD" for the rest of your life.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I'm 8 years active in the Coast Guard right now and I can't recommend any better service to work for. Its extremely tough to get into these days, and we have the highest retainment rates. (Ever wonder why that is? ) A very large percentage of our force is prior service individuals who wanted (and got) something better.

I constantly travel, tropical destinations usually. Drug interdiction is one of our missions, which puts us in warm waters typically. As an airedale, I've spent alot of time in the virgin islands, south america, central america, and even some canada. I transferred off my ship right before they left on a middle-east tour, but we even go there!

I have nothing bad to say about marines, our services have a long standing relationship, but I absolutely love my job that I do now. There is utmost respect between everyone, and we always look out for each other. You do something wrong, we help you-not hang you. Another perk within the coast guard is you can do your trade of machining, but you will be taught so much more. More than likely you'll be doing composite work, construction work, as well as driving a boat or flying as aircrew. You will have so many things to do it might overwhelm you, but its alot of fun!

Choose as you will, I'm sure you won't go wrong, but I had to throw in my pitch!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are great. @AZ TXPRO. You have a very good point. That is a very good reason. All of these comments make me want to go in even more. I need to look more into what jobs each branch offers. I want to get it right the first time if I can. I'll probably be talking to a recruiter soon. Is there anything I should watch out for? And you're right. I don't want to be one of the guys who regrets not going in after it's too late.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #28
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do want to join. I have no idea what I want to do though. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I work on locomotive engines right now. I think if I join I don't want to do something in that field though. I'm in pretty good shape. I'd really enjoy doing something that will challenge me mentally, physically, and emotionally. Or something that I could use again as a civilian. I'm really unsure....there are so many choices.
That's badass man! If you do that now you'd probably be a good candidate for an engineer type job in the military. I don't know how much active duty they see, though.(I honestly don't know, someone with mil. knowledge please chime in) Unless you didn't care too much about active combat/duty?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Just like everyone else is saying, DO IT!! You will not regret it, yes there will be times of suck and you will ask yourself why the hell did I sign up for this... But in the long run its worth it. In the 5 years that I have been in, I have learned more about myself than I ever thought I would. I'm working on my second deployment right now, and I'll tell you the military lifestyle ain't easy, but its worth it.
Nothing will ever compare to my time in the military. It builds you into a better person, and will only help strengthen your resume with all the skills and abilities you learned in your time in the service.
As for a job on the outside world, worry about that once its time to get out of the military, decide what you wanna do now, and do it. Don't worry about the future, just what the task is at hand.
Whatever you decide, then that is for your. The military isn't for everyone either, but its worth it.
Hope you make the right choice.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Just like everyone else is saying, DO IT!! You will not regret it, yes there will be times of suck and you will ask yourself why the hell did I sign up for this... But in the long run its worth it. In the 5 years that I have been in, I have learned more about myself than I ever thought I would. I'm working on my second deployment right now, and I'll tell you the military lifestyle ain't easy, but its worth it.
Nothing will ever compare to my time in the military. It builds you into a better person, and will only help strengthen your resume with all the skills and abilities you learned in your time in the service.
As for a job on the outside world, worry about that once its time to get out of the military, decide what you wanna do now, and do it. Don't worry about the future, just what the task is at hand.
Whatever you decide, then that is for your. The military isn't for everyone either, but its worth it.
Hope you make the right choice.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
service

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I'm 8 years active in the Coast Guard right now and I can't recommend any better service to work for. Its extremely tough to get into these days, and we have the highest retainment rates. (Ever wonder why that is? ) A very large percentage of our force is prior service individuals who wanted (and got) something better.

I constantly travel, tropical destinations usually. Drug interdiction is one of our missions, which puts us in warm waters typically. As an airedale, I've spent alot of time in the virgin islands, south america, central america, and even some canada. I transferred off my ship right before they left on a middle-east tour, but we even go there!

I have nothing bad to say about marines, our services have a long standing relationship, but I absolutely love my job that I do now. There is utmost respect between everyone, and we always look out for each other. You do something wrong, we help you-not hang you. Another perk within the coast guard is you can do your trade of machining, but you will be taught so much more. More than likely you'll be doing composite work, construction work, as well as driving a boat or flying as aircrew. You will have so many things to do it might overwhelm you, but its alot of fun!

Choose as you will, I'm sure you won't go wrong, but I had to throw in my pitch!
This guy said it best--I was in the Coast guard too. GREATEST Experience you will ever have.
One of the reasons--it is small and you get to know most everyone.
GREAT TIMES GUARANTEED.
I reget getting out--cold have retired LONG AGO.
Good luck in your choice. Whatever it may be. Nearly ALL COASTIES Recommend it--Because of their experiences.
SEMPER ******* ******-(your choice)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #32
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

These are all the responses I'm wanting to hear.....go join!! Lol. Thanks to all of you for your input. I'm going to try and come up with jobs from each branch I'd be interested in and I'll post them here to get some feedback from you guys.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #33

I think I've pretty much decided I want to join and do something that's more unconventional. I've picked out a few jobs...let me know what you guys think...

Navy: SWCC Operator......very interested.
EOD personnel........somewhat interested

Air Force: Aerial gunner?....somewhat interested.
AF EOD.............somewhat interested.
Loadmaster........ehhh
Combat Control...very interested
SERE.................interested

Coast Guard: AST (Aviation Survival Technician).........maybe interested?

I looked at the Army and the Marines but didn't see an actual list of jobs and job descriptions available. But anything that falls under the category of what I posted for the other branches I'd probably be interested in. Something unconventional. I'd probably enjoy going to Marine Force Recon school if that was possible. But those are some of the things that peeked my interest. What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Good choices--Contacting another member here--he may send you a PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,
Great you are considering stepping up and serving, consider your Service / Job carefully. I say that as when you get out there aren't to many jobs for say an aerial gunner, a few other of your choices might not be useful as you would be close to aging out of them not ability just age. I joined the AF after going to school for metal work for 4 years and doing it for a living for 2 years before I joined. I wanted more training in a more stable career field there will always be Air Craft and Helicopters. I examined every branch with an eye toward how they could enhance my skills the most closely matched was the AF but all had good careers for metal working. I am biased obviously as I retired from the AF but I think others here will agree as for training in the AF you are what your job AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) says you are first and foremost. In other branches you are your job but a lot of times you’re a grunt first then your job. Other with exp from other branches feel free to correct me on that. Something else to consider you work for a the Rail Road which is a quasi federally funded employer you should be able to get atleast a year sabbatical for military service; so if something happens or you decide it is not for you you can go back to your current job. Check with your jobs HR about this.

Cypher
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #36

I see where you're coming from. I was actually eyeballing the sheet metal position the AF offers for aircraft. I could see myself doing that but I don't know if it's something I want right now. It might seem unwise in the long run, but I'm sorta leaning towards a job that doesn't transfer over into the civilian world. I want to do something different. I mean after awhile (I guess after my contract is up) couldn't I transfer to a job that's more civilianish?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #37
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see where you're coming from. I was actually eyeballing the sheet metal position the AF offers for aircraft. I could see myself doing that but I don't know if it's something I want right now. It might seem unwise in the long run, but I'm sorta leaning towards a job that doesn't transfer over into the civilian world. I want to do something different. I mean after awhile (I guess after my contract is up) couldn't I transfer to a job that's more civilianish?
Most Branch's allow cross training after your first enlistment you can even make you second enlistment contingent on that when you get within 6 months?? Active guys that might have changed so correct me. However, cross training IS NOT THAT EASY you have to usually go from an over manned field to an under manned and lol there is usually a reason for the undermanning... Metal work for the AF I can speak to you will learn working with various metals in various alloys along with working with composites ( Boron, Graphite, Fiberglass) and work with plastics plexi arcyrilic, adhesives of many types, painting using enamel, lacquer, polyurethane using differnt application methods HLVP etc. Stripping using chemical and media blasting with walnut shells, copper slag, sand, glass, plastic media, baking soda etc etc as you can see it is not just banging tin :} You could work on any airframe or most any car body shop ( though we don't bang out dents much you do learn how) . If you sign up and or volunteer LOL I know I have said never do that but do so for ABDR school.
ABDR is air craft battle damage repair you learn a bit of everything hydraulics, engines, electrical, pneumatics etc.

Just choose which service and what job and go forth it will be hard at times and honestly there are times it will SUCK! especially if your maintenance on Aircraft but it is rewarding and you get alot of funny stories to tell.. I can tell you what temp a 8" Air powered body grinder stops working at lol -12 Deg F where else would you get to learn that LOL...

Cypher