1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious question about a military career/current job

Discussion in 'Military' started by Cb2589, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Im trying to decide whether or not to join the military. I've always wanted to join the marines...active duty. For the experience, to see different places, to serve my country, etc. I'm 19 years old and have been out of high school a year. The biggest problem for me with joining active duty is my job. I currently work for Norfolk Southern as a machinist. I've been here a year now and it's a great job, they take care of us, and it's good money. It's hard for me to justify leaving my job to go in, and I don't really want to do the reserves. But the more I talk to people who have been in at my work about it, the more I want to join. The other things im worried about are possibly not being able to get my job back later on, or a job in general. Any words of wisdom?

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Do it....you'll really experience life. I never regretted once serving my country. I miss it to be quite honest.

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    my advice... do it , its an experience you will never get anywhere else . Its actually pretty fulfilling too. If you have your job and like , then go guard or reserve..... well maybe not reserve. Im an Army medic on active duty and love my job (most of the time , unless I have to work)

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    Tjrussell

Tjrussell I hear banjo's, quick paddle faster!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tj
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    TRD CAI, Borla Exhaust, TRD blk beadlocks, Bed ext., Kenwood stereo & speakers
    Do it! It is better to have tried then to never. I went to the marines OCS and couldn't continue because of a irregular heartbeat. You'll never get that feeling anywhere else of something more important than yourself.

5. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    Go for it! I was in the Air Force and had to be discharged due to medical reasons. I would have done 20 years though. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. I think joining any of the military branches is a good idea, we have a lot of freedoms in this country, I am glad I gave back to the USA while in the Air Force.

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    Hawksdenn2

Hawksdenn2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 10' SR5 4x4
    3" ultimate lift kit, diff drop, total chaos uca's, 1.5 aal, 5100 rear shocks, cmc, 2" fender and flare chop, roof rack, 2-10's, kenwood touch screen, antenna-x, wet okole, de-badged, ARE topper, 60" hi-lift, off road base and recovery kit. 315/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, XD addicts 17" BHLM, rear diff breather mod.
    Honestly if I had one regret in my life, it's not joining the Marines. I was a senior in high school when september 11th happened, and was thinking about signing up, but I wanted to be a Fireman. That's the only thing that stopped me. Now I've been hired 7 years and wish I would've went when I was younger. A lot of my firefighting brothers we're Marines and I am regretful that I wasn't one. So just do what your heart tells you, by asking us our opinion, you already know your answer, that you want to go! So good luck bud!

Stay Safe

7. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    M202Flash

M202Flash Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DCSB
    Diff breather mod/JP Metal Fab Tie Downs/Plasti-dip front valance/Famous Fabrication Sliders/Illumination Supply LED Spotlights w/ Relentless Hood Hinge Light Mounts/Bora 1" Spacers/Westin Brush Guard/BajaRack/Goodyear Duratracs 265-75-16
    Join! Greatest experience of my life. I now work with a few guys who started their current careers early and will suffer 30+/- years of doing the same thing every day since age 21.

8. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    I do want to join. I have no idea what I want to do though. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I work on locomotive engines right now. I think if I join I don't want to do something in that field though. I'm in pretty good shape. I'd really enjoy doing something that will challenge me mentally, physically, and emotionally. Or something that I could use again as a civilian. I'm really unsure....there are so many choices.

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    There are two kinds of guys over the age of 40. Those that served and those that wished they had. I can't tell you how many guys have told me their "almost" story and how they wished they had served.

So do you want to tell your kids about how you stepped up and served your country or do you want to tell them your "almost" story?

10. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    ^^^^

The things we regret most in life are the things we didn't do; not the things we did.

11. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    danjones

danjones Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    11 taco
    dont do it man, i have a 20k hike tomorrow with a min 70 lbs pack weight. all to see if women can be in the infantry. you have a good job worthy of a career, dont waste that.

12. Jun 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    Talk to your HR department and see if they have a re-hire program for returning veterans; I had that option with the company I used to work for (after I had been in the Navy for 20 YEARS!), but found a better job in my area/field of expertise.

13. Jun 28, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Best thing ever. 17 years in with the first 7 as enlisted. Got to see a lot of things would never have the chance otherwise. Helped me grow as a person, too. Are there times when I said "why?" Sure, but that is in all careers, not just the military.

14. Jun 28, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Ben83

Ben83 I am faster than 80% of all snakes.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Extang Solid Fold Seat Covers Trimmed the mudflaps. Husky Liners
    Military service is definitely something to be proud of. But it comes with a lot of positives and negatives. I served 10 years active duty in the Air Force. It was a great experience but there is no way I would ever go back in.

The one question I would ask yourself is: Do you mind someone else having a lot of control over your life? I don't say that with sarcasm or negativity but the fact is the military has a TON of control over your job, where you live, etc. Some people really don't mind the control and it is hard for others to deal with.

I went into the Air Force when I was 18 and the control was a good thing. I learned discipline and how to work hard and get things done when I needed to. But as I got older the control became stifling and overbearing. I eventually found myself hating it.

Not trying to make it seem negative but it is hard adjusting to military life for some. Just my two cents. Best of luck with your decision!

Might be a good idea to ask the positives and negatives from folks that have served.

15. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Today's Corps, and military in general, have changed a LOT when it comes to jobs. It used to be "take what job we give you and love it!" Now the military uses bonus to try to get you into jobs that they need filled instead of force. You can damn near guarantee your job now, as long as you are smart and careful. If you want to be challenged mentally, physically, and emotionally, then the Marine Corps is a good option. Everyone has their ups and downs. You will probably hear lots of do it and don't do it. Only YOU can answer if it is for you. Personally I chose a job that I would never see in the civilian world, so that I would have a different experience than I could ever have. This job DID give me a lot of knowledge and training that helped me with my current career though.

just remember to read EVERYTHING before you sign. Know that up until the time you actually sign and take your oath, that you can back out! So don't let the recruiters push you into something you don't like.

I'm just asking, but what is wrong with a little hike in the woods? I have done plenty of 20k and longer hikes with full pack, 782 gear, and my SAW. Kept myself in shape and never had a problem. Always carry extra socks! On hikes I wear black socks to wick away the moisture, white ones to absorb it, and green ones because the Marine Corps said that was the proper ones to wear! Every break we would air out our feet, and I would change out the white socks. Never had a blister since I started doing it that way.

VERY good comment right there!!

16. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    I can usually find positives in almost every situation I'm in. The work I do now our bosses have plenty of say in what we do and how we do it. I don't think I'd have a problem with someone else having that much control over me. I'd enjoy doing a job that you can't really do as a civilian like being in the infantry. On the same token I'd enjoy doing something technical like working on aircraft...planes, helos. Or somethig else of that nature. Something that could possibly transfer over as a civilian. I dont know what i could qualify for. I got my job right out of highschool and i havent been to college. Id like traveling and seeing all different places. The amount of jobs in the military is pretty overwhelming.

17. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Oh and I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Keep it coming if you feel you can help me out!

18. Jun 29, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    No Problem at all. If you are curious what jobs may be available for you, you can go to one of the major book stores out there and purchase the ASVAB study guide. They have sample tests that can give you at least a general idea of what your score COULD be. Your ASVAB has a direct link to what jobs will be available for you. Even if you don't have college, since they plan on training you anyway.

19. Jun 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    OP, I just retired from the USAF after 21 years so I have a bit of experience and a slight bias. I know you are considering the Corps, and IMO, it is a great service--in some ways, the best. I know it may be hard to imagine where your life will be in 20+ years, but let me tell you, it will pass in the blink of an eye and where will you be? Just reading comments made by members of this forum you will find a mix of those who have served and who have not; those who are successful, those that are not; those that have been established into a career at an early age and those who are nearly 40 and haven't really accomplished anything in life. Serving in the military prepares you well for life's challenges and can set you on a path towards an outstanding future.

Serving your nation in the military is an awesome opportunity and equally awesome experience. The people you meet, the places you go, the skills you will master are all wonderful tangible benefits. There are also many intangible benefits such as acquiring greater discipline, work ethic, leadership skills, etc. Plus, the nearly limitless educational benefits--and if you educate yourself about ALL available options, you can earn multiple degrees without paying a penny.

And if you serve 20 years and retire, well, the lifetime benefits are amazing and not many private-sector careers can compete with lifetime healthcare, a retirement check for the rest of your life starting from month #1 of retirement (if you are active duty), and multiple VA benefits. It's a damn good gig. I should mention that each state has there own set of veterans benefits above and beyond those offered at the federal level.

I think it's great you're considering this course for your life. Military service is not for everyone--some can't hack it, some have no desire, some have limitations (both mental and physical)--and some wish they could but can't bring themselves to take the risk of failure. I can't tell you how many people I run into that wished they had stayed in until retirement, or even regret not having ever served. Many I run into have deep regrets about this, to include members of my own family. But if you can and you succeed, I can think of no other career choice that has a more positive impact than that of our military service (of course, I'm a bit biased :)

I think the most incredible benefit to me is the bond I share with millions of those who have served in our Armed Forces, regardless of service. As I get older, this bond becomes more important as I meet new people. OP, if you should choose to serve, I think you will find many years from now that it was the best decision of your life.

Best of luck, OP!

20. Jun 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    NvrSumR

NvrSumR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Do it. You won't regret it.

Products Discussed in

To Top