Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Serious question about a military career/current job

Old 06-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
Serious question about a military career/current job

Im trying to decide whether or not to join the military. I've always wanted to join the marines...active duty. For the experience, to see different places, to serve my country, etc. I'm 19 years old and have been out of high school a year. The biggest problem for me with joining active duty is my job. I currently work for Norfolk Southern as a machinist. I've been here a year now and it's a great job, they take care of us, and it's good money. It's hard for me to justify leaving my job to go in, and I don't really want to do the reserves. But the more I talk to people who have been in at my work about it, the more I want to join. The other things im worried about are possibly not being able to get my job back later on, or a job in general. Any words of wisdom?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Do it....you'll really experience life. I never regretted once serving my country. I miss it to be quite honest.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
my advice... do it , its an experience you will never get anywhere else . Its actually pretty fulfilling too. If you have your job and like , then go guard or reserve..... well maybe not reserve. Im an Army medic on active duty and love my job (most of the time , unless I have to work)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
I hear banjo's, quick paddle faster!
Tjrussell is on a distinguished road

Name: Tj
Tjrussell's Tacoma Gallery
Do it! It is better to have tried then to never. I went to the marines OCS and couldn't continue because of a irregular heartbeat. You'll never get that feeling anywhere else of something more important than yourself.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it! I was in the Air Force and had to be discharged due to medical reasons. I would have done 20 years though. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. I think joining any of the military branches is a good idea, we have a lot of freedoms in this country, I am glad I gave back to the USA while in the Air Force.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Hawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant future

Firefighter:
Hawksdenn2's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly if I had one regret in my life, it's not joining the Marines. I was a senior in high school when september 11th happened, and was thinking about signing up, but I wanted to be a Fireman. That's the only thing that stopped me. Now I've been hired 7 years and wish I would've went when I was younger. A lot of my firefighting brothers we're Marines and I am regretful that I wasn't one. So just do what your heart tells you, by asking us our opinion, you already know your answer, that you want to go! So good luck bud!

Stay Safe
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
M202Flash is on a distinguished road

M202Flash's Tacoma Gallery
Join! Greatest experience of my life. I now work with a few guys who started their current careers early and will suffer 30+/- years of doing the same thing every day since age 21.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Lightbulb

I do want to join. I have no idea what I want to do though. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I work on locomotive engines right now. I think if I join I don't want to do something in that field though. I'm in pretty good shape. I'd really enjoy doing something that will challenge me mentally, physically, and emotionally. Or something that I could use again as a civilian. I'm really unsure....there are so many choices.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
There are two kinds of guys over the age of 40. Those that served and those that wished they had. I can't tell you how many guys have told me their "almost" story and how they wished they had served.

So do you want to tell your kids about how you stepped up and served your country or do you want to tell them your "almost" story?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
There are two kinds of guys over the age of 40. Those that served and those that wished they had. I can't tell you how many guys have told me their "almost" story and how they wished they had served.

So do you want to tell your kids about how you stepped up and served your country or do you want to tell them your "almost" story?
^^^^

The things we regret most in life are the things we didn't do; not the things we did.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
danjones is on a distinguished road

Marines: cpl wpns co.
danjones's Tacoma Gallery
dont do it man, i have a 20k hike tomorrow with a min 70 lbs pack weight. all to see if women can be in the infantry. you have a good job worthy of a career, dont waste that.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
AMS1(AW), USN retired
Twizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud ofTwizter68 has much to be proud of
Navy: Retired AMS1(AW)
Name: Bill
Twizter68's Tacoma Gallery
Talk to your HR department and see if they have a re-hire program for returning veterans; I had that option with the company I used to work for (after I had been in the Navy for 20 YEARS!), but found a better job in my area/field of expertise.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Best thing ever. 17 years in with the first 7 as enlisted. Got to see a lot of things would never have the chance otherwise. Helped me grow as a person, too. Are there times when I said "why?" Sure, but that is in all careers, not just the military.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
I am faster than 80% of all snakes.
Ben83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Intelligence Analyst for 10 years and then moved on.
Name: Ben
Ben83's Tacoma Gallery
Military service is definitely something to be proud of. But it comes with a lot of positives and negatives. I served 10 years active duty in the Air Force. It was a great experience but there is no way I would ever go back in.

The one question I would ask yourself is: Do you mind someone else having a lot of control over your life? I don't say that with sarcasm or negativity but the fact is the military has a TON of control over your job, where you live, etc. Some people really don't mind the control and it is hard for others to deal with.

I went into the Air Force when I was 18 and the control was a good thing. I learned discipline and how to work hard and get things done when I needed to. But as I got older the control became stifling and overbearing. I eventually found myself hating it.

Not trying to make it seem negative but it is hard adjusting to military life for some. Just my two cents. Best of luck with your decision!

Might be a good idea to ask the positives and negatives from folks that have served.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
I do want to join. I have no idea what I want to do though. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I work on locomotive engines right now. I think if I join I don't want to do something in that field though. I'm in pretty good shape. I'd really enjoy doing something that will challenge me mentally, physically, and emotionally. Or something that I could use again as a civilian. I'm really unsure....there are so many choices.
Today's Corps, and military in general, have changed a LOT when it comes to jobs. It used to be "take what job we give you and love it!" Now the military uses bonus to try to get you into jobs that they need filled instead of force. You can damn near guarantee your job now, as long as you are smart and careful. If you want to be challenged mentally, physically, and emotionally, then the Marine Corps is a good option. Everyone has their ups and downs. You will probably hear lots of do it and don't do it. Only YOU can answer if it is for you. Personally I chose a job that I would never see in the civilian world, so that I would have a different experience than I could ever have. This job DID give me a lot of knowledge and training that helped me with my current career though.

just remember to read EVERYTHING before you sign. Know that up until the time you actually sign and take your oath, that you can back out! So don't let the recruiters push you into something you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjones View Post
dont do it man, i have a 20k hike tomorrow with a min 70 lbs pack weight. all to see if women can be in the infantry. you have a good job worthy of a career, dont waste that.
I'm just asking, but what is wrong with a little hike in the woods? I have done plenty of 20k and longer hikes with full pack, 782 gear, and my SAW. Kept myself in shape and never had a problem. Always carry extra socks! On hikes I wear black socks to wick away the moisture, white ones to absorb it, and green ones because the Marine Corps said that was the proper ones to wear! Every break we would air out our feet, and I would change out the white socks. Never had a blister since I started doing it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben83 View Post
Military service is definitely something to be proud of. But it comes with a lot of positives and negatives. I served 10 years active duty in the Air Force. It was a great experience but there is no way I would ever go back in.

The one question I would ask yourself is: Do you mind someone else having a lot of control over your life? I don't say that with sarcasm or negativity but the fact is the military has a TON of control over your job, where you live, etc. Some people really don't mind the control and it is hard for others to deal with.

I went into the Air Force when I was 18 and the control was a good thing. I learned discipline and how to work hard and get things done when I needed to. But as I got older the control became stifling and overbearing. I eventually found myself hating it.

Not trying to make it seem negative but it is hard adjusting to military life for some. Just my two cents. Best of luck with your decision!

Might be a good idea to ask the positives and negatives from folks that have served.

VERY good comment right there!!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #16

I can usually find positives in almost every situation I'm in. The work I do now our bosses have plenty of say in what we do and how we do it. I don't think I'd have a problem with someone else having that much control over me. I'd enjoy doing a job that you can't really do as a civilian like being in the infantry. On the same token I'd enjoy doing something technical like working on aircraft...planes, helos. Or somethig else of that nature. Something that could possibly transfer over as a civilian. I dont know what i could qualify for. I got my job right out of highschool and i havent been to college. Id like traveling and seeing all different places. The amount of jobs in the military is pretty overwhelming.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #17

Oh and I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Keep it coming if you feel you can help me out!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
Oh and I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Keep it coming if you feel you can help me out!
No Problem at all. If you are curious what jobs may be available for you, you can go to one of the major book stores out there and purchase the ASVAB study guide. They have sample tests that can give you at least a general idea of what your score COULD be. Your ASVAB has a direct link to what jobs will be available for you. Even if you don't have college, since they plan on training you anyway.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I just retired from the USAF after 21 years so I have a bit of experience and a slight bias. I know you are considering the Corps, and IMO, it is a great service--in some ways, the best. I know it may be hard to imagine where your life will be in 20+ years, but let me tell you, it will pass in the blink of an eye and where will you be? Just reading comments made by members of this forum you will find a mix of those who have served and who have not; those who are successful, those that are not; those that have been established into a career at an early age and those who are nearly 40 and haven't really accomplished anything in life. Serving in the military prepares you well for life's challenges and can set you on a path towards an outstanding future.

Serving your nation in the military is an awesome opportunity and equally awesome experience. The people you meet, the places you go, the skills you will master are all wonderful tangible benefits. There are also many intangible benefits such as acquiring greater discipline, work ethic, leadership skills, etc. Plus, the nearly limitless educational benefits--and if you educate yourself about ALL available options, you can earn multiple degrees without paying a penny.

And if you serve 20 years and retire, well, the lifetime benefits are amazing and not many private-sector careers can compete with lifetime healthcare, a retirement check for the rest of your life starting from month #1 of retirement (if you are active duty), and multiple VA benefits. It's a damn good gig. I should mention that each state has there own set of veterans benefits above and beyond those offered at the federal level.

I think it's great you're considering this course for your life. Military service is not for everyone--some can't hack it, some have no desire, some have limitations (both mental and physical)--and some wish they could but can't bring themselves to take the risk of failure. I can't tell you how many people I run into that wished they had stayed in until retirement, or even regret not having ever served. Many I run into have deep regrets about this, to include members of my own family. But if you can and you succeed, I can think of no other career choice that has a more positive impact than that of our military service (of course, I'm a bit biased

I think the most incredible benefit to me is the bond I share with millions of those who have served in our Armed Forces, regardless of service. As I get older, this bond becomes more important as I meet new people. OP, if you should choose to serve, I think you will find many years from now that it was the best decision of your life.

Best of luck, OP!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. You won't regret it.