LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

How are Toyotas maintained in times of war?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Sido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
How are Toyotas maintained in times of war?

How are Toyotas maintained and actually kept running in times of war?

It takes a decent amount of work to care for your truck- regular oil changes, new parts, ect. I always wanted to know how exactly are Toyotas kept running in conflict zones? The two great examples that come to mind are Chad in the late 80s and Afghanistan in the 90s.

The conflict in Chad, known by the dubious name as the "Toyota War," was very complicated and I'll spare you the mind-numbing background, but government regulars, rebels, and guerrillas pushed out the vastly superior but incompetent Libyan army. The French provided the Chadian forces with hundreds of Toyota trucks which they used to carry troops and mount heavy weapons.

After the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan in 1989, most expected their puppet government to fall. It didn't. It survived through massive Soviet military aid and only fell after the breakup of the USSR. The result was a long, protracted conflict that continues to this day where Toyotas became the highly prized vehicle of choice.

I don't imagine very many of you were ever in Chad (vacation or otherwise), but I'm sure you have seen the vehicles used in Afghanistan. How are they kept running? Do they ever change the fluids and oil? How do they get spare parts and what happens when something breaks?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
yippee ki yay mother cluckers
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
acmair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sido View Post
How are Toyotas maintained and actually kept running in times of war?

It takes a decent amount of work to care for your truck- regular oil changes, new parts, ect. I always wanted to know how exactly are Toyotas kept running in conflict zones? The two great examples that come to mind are Chad in the late 80s and Afghanistan in the 90s.

The conflict in Chad, known by the dubious name as the "Toyota War," was very complicated and I'll spare you the mind-numbing background, but government regulars, rebels, and guerrillas pushed out the vastly superior but incompetent Libyan army. The French provided the Chadian forces with hundreds of Toyota trucks which they used to carry troops and mount heavy weapons.

After the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan in 1989, most expected their puppet government to fall. It didn't. It survived through massive Soviet military aid and only fell after the breakup of the USSR. The result was a long, protracted conflict that continues to this day where Toyotas became the highly prized vehicle of choice.

I don't imagine very many of you were ever in Chad (vacation or otherwise), but I'm sure you have seen the vehicles used in Afghanistan. How are they kept running? Do they ever change the fluids and oil? How do they get spare parts and what happens when something breaks?
Toyota..break? I don't believe it

Very interesting thought tho
Old 08-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmair View Post
Toyota..break? I don't believe it

Very interesting thought tho
I've never heard those two words in the same sentence
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Never thought about that...guess it just goes to show that Toyota truly is THE #1 most reliable vehicle, lol. However, maybe they're probably getting their fluids and parts from the same places they get their weaponry
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Just like they do in Cuba.