1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

List Military Bases I wanna Go next.

Discussion in 'Military' started by AFButters, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I am slotted to leave Ft. Lee in 2 years, and there is a possibility of getting a Base of Preference (Submit a list of 8 bases, with a high possibility of getting 1 of them.) and I wanted to post the 8 places I would like to consider and see if anyone has been stationed at these bases or lived in the areas.

This goes for Civilians too if you live in these areas, how are schools, the area and golf courses.

1. Peterson AFB, Colorado
    2. Lackland AFB, Texas/Randolph AFB, Texas
    3. Dyess AFB, Texas
    4. Hurlburt Field, Florida
    5. Nellis AFB, Nevada
    6. Luke AFB, Arizona
    7. Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
    8. Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
    --------------------------------
    9. Vandenburg AFB, California
    10. Travis AFB, California
    11. Charleston AFB, South Carolina
    12. Altus AFB, Oklahoma

2. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Haven't been to any of those bases but have you considered Davis Monthan AFB, in Tucson, AZ?

I am an Army guy stationed here and if you like Arizona, then this is the base for you....

3. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Ben83

Ben83 I am faster than 80% of all snakes.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Extang Solid Fold Seat Covers Trimmed the mudflaps. Husky Liners
    I was stationed at Peterson for 1 and a half years before I got out of the AF. It was my last duty station.

It was a fantastic place to be. Especially if you like the outdoors. They have awesome mountain biking, hiking, camping, snow shoeing, etc there.

It is a total military town which can be good and bad. Because of how many military are there almost everybody has a military discount and the locals were always very friendly and supportive of the military presence there. But on the flip side you have a lot of young dumb airman/soldiers that act retarded and do cause some issues from time to time.

Schools totally depend on the district you live in, some are good and some are bad. Most of the people I knew that bought houses tried to do it on the north edge of the town near the AF Academy. It is a little more expensive to buy up that way but the neighborhoods are way nicer and the schools were better. If you do get stationed at Pete make sure you at least live north of Platte Avenue. The further south of Platte you go the more ghetto it gets because you get closer to Ft. Carson. No offense to the Army but every Army base I have ever been to seems to have a super ghetto/shady element on the outskirts of the base.

There are a good selection of golf courses in town. Pete AFB has one but it was pretty crappy. You would go there because it is cheap more than for anything else. The AF Academy's course is very nice. There is also a nice public course in town called Patty Jewett. And if you want to play a super nice course there is always the Broadmoor Resort. It is a five star place and very pricey.

One thing I didn't expect before we moved to Colorado was just how dry it is there. You are in an alpine desert. Not sure why I never connected Colorado and desert before but I didn't. The lack of moisture there wreaked havoc on my sinus system which was weird because I had never had any issues before.

Anyway, hope I might have answered some questions for you.

Ben

P.S. My buddy is stationed at Charleston AFB and loves it. Different culture and environment than Colorado but great in its own ways.

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I know its out there too, but from what I have heard There are more things in the Glendale/Phoenix area.

5. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW

Thanks!!

6. Aug 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    mclovin

mclovin chicka chicka, yeah!

Member:
    Biloxi
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DC Barcelona Red
    Prev, 04 Xtra Cab Prerunner, 12 SR5 4x4 AC
    +1 for pete, im at the academy and the area is awesome.

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I am a 2T2... So i would work at the Aerial Port or the LRS, I am an instructor now, so who knows what kind of opportunities that could lead to.

8. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    texger

texger FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    New
    None
    I work at Sheppard and if you like quiet, small towns this is the place.

9. Aug 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM
    mrw3685

mrw3685 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX by way of KS
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s all around, set at .85, Allpro Expedition Leaf Pack, Procomp 7036 17x9, w/Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17, Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines, Red-Line Hood lift, Relocated Trailer Connection, Trimmed Front Fender.
    Dearest Port Dog,

I've been everywhere you asked and rather than type 5000 words describing each, I can tell you that Charleston AFB has the best golfing around it, probably in the country. Plus, AMC is working hard there, so your job would be fulfilling. I'm a Midwesterner, so I like Altus/Little Rock/Lackland, Nellis is fun for gambling put cost of living is high. California can depart from CONUS via a fault line and I'd be happy. Kirtland stinks because Albuquerque stinks. Based off the 3 questions you asked, Charleston is your #1 choice. The base/golf/schools all top notch.

10. Aug 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I would wanna go to edwards I think, or mcchord. If I was in the AF anyway lol

11. Aug 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    The one thing that would make me not want to go to CHS is that I would like to avoid the possibility of 12 hour shifts and working all hours of the night atleast until my kids are older. My son has special needs and if I had to work all night and sleep all day I would be able to help with him or see my kids much for that matter. Then again I dont want to sit around at work all day watching paint dry.

12. Aug 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I know you didn't ask, but any slots available at Ft Huachuca in AZ??? When I was there there were a lot of AF guys around. It was probably the best post I was assigned to during my Army career. Should have bought about 10 acres around Sonita or Patagonia.

13. Aug 23, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    Duck Fyess!!!! lol i was stationed at Dyess and the base and area were terrible. nothing there, constantly windy (so golf is bad), constantly dry (so golf courses are bad), and if you do want to go somewhere you have to drive 2 1/2 hours to ft worth.

14. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    https://www.thrmis.hq.af.mil/

If you have a chance @ work, check out this link. It gives manning levels which you can filter by base / AFSC. I've recently updated my "dream sheet" based on these numbers. You can also search by PAS code for more detail. There's no use putting a base on your list if the manning levels are filled and will be filled for the next 6 months. Hope it helps.

15. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I can say that Kirtland is in a somewhat bad part of Albuquerque and the schools aren't great around there.

16. Aug 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I still have some friends in the USAF and they loved Charleston ... but hated the humidity.

A long time ago ... I did a few months in Charleston (not USAF) and I loved Charleston and the Islands too. It gets hot & sticky in the summer though.

I was single back then and fell in love with a girl from Summerville ... ah those memories (on Isle of Palms) when I told her I was going off to war and may never see her again. ... she was very good to me before I left ... :D

17. Aug 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Smokey11

Smokey11 You Can't Fix Stupid !

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    99 ex-cab TRD 2.7L 4X4
    OME 881, 10MM top plate spacer,nitros,wheelers 5 pack, 1.25 Daystar Shackles,265-75-16 Duratracs on 16X8 Pro Comps,leer shell, husky liners, sway bar removed, X-runner badges, tint, auto start, BPV relocate, extended rear brake line.
    Been stationed at Nellis and now have been at Luke for 4.5 years and Luke is far better of the two. As cool as it sounds to be stationed in Vegas it gets old fast, here in PHX you have everything you can think of and then some. Yes the summers suck ass but the other 7-8 months are amazing and you cant drive for 15 minutes in any direction without passing a golf course they are everywhere.

18. Sep 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM
    Airborne09

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Why not go to Eglin, and get into the Special Operations community? Your career can only go up from there....

19. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I'm Red Green Color Blind, and from the people I have talked to it would be really hard for me to get into any of those types of special duties, bc I cant go to jump school, SEAR, etc

20. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DC TRD Off Road

wait... what ? You cant go to airborne school because u are colorblind or is jump school something else?

Products Discussed in

To Top